• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

RossD

[trackday_prep] Project 150

RossD

So with the MOT booked for the morning, I'd thought I'd get it out of the garage in preparation and take a couple of quick snaps, in its "finished" state. (We all know these things are never finished!)

IMAG2000_zpszhdf8rkl.jpg

IMAG2002_zpscb9xp9bz.jpg

IMAG2003_zpsmfjitwxt.jpg

Looking at these pictures after I have posted and they look a bit crap.... I'll get the SLR out tomorrow to get some better ones.

I'll try and get the go-pro out too, so I can show how nippy it is now too ;-)

Edited by RossD
  • Like 1

RossD

Well I've been driving this whenever I get a spare moment..... And the weather is good :)

I've been roughing in the ECU mapping - Running to about 13:1 AFR at full throttle and then leaning out to 14.7ish on a cruise and to be honest it drives perfectly. SO much torque compared to the old 1.6 engine - Any gear, any revs, foot down and it just goes like a rat up a drainpipe :D :D

The only problem is that I'm running out of injectors. Above 6000rpm at full throttle, the duty cycle is reporting at over 85% on the emerald software, so need to check that - It could be the fuel pump cannot keep up with demand, or I'm actually maxxing out the stock GTi180 injectors, which means its making >185bhp at those revs. To be honest, with how quick it feels I suspect its making the power.

I've found a rolling road locally, so will be seeing if I can pay them a visit soon to get a power run in.

• Like 1

welshpug

it looks like the 0280 156 139 injectors are quite small, 187cc/min at 3 bar.

RossD

Careful, you are comparing apples with pears WP!

Bosch state that they are 187 g/min Heptane. Heptane and Petrol have differing specific gravity, so if you correct for that and convert from mass to volume, you get around 260 cc/min roughly, so about the same size as GTi6 injectors. Which would make sense if you think about it - Both are sequentially injected engines with around 170bhp from the factory.

Plus a little bit of headroom from this running at 3.5 bar too (Again they do this from the factory)

Edited by RossD

welshpug

ohhh, I tried to convert it and the first conversion I found converted is straight like for like, fecking google.

so you should be nowhere near maxing them out then, I'm maxing out gti6 at 240 ish bhp at 3 bar. ( I have a second set filling in the rest)

Edited by welshpug

RossD

Again, that depends on how you are running your injectors - Batch mode or Sequential. If you are running sequential, you wont have anywhere near enough bandwidth for 240bhp, but running them in Batch, then yes you may do! :P

It's all down to each individual setup and application.

However... I'm running batch on mine and it turns out tat the Emerald Duty Cycle is making the assumption I'm running sequential. So in fact I'm not running out of injectors at all and the ECU software is telling me bare faced lies. Ho-hum! (I made a spreadsheet up which calculates the possible injection window at each RPM and then the injector pulsewidth for that load/speed site - Conclusion: The maths doesn't lie, but the Emerald software does) :D

Edited by RossD

RossD

Quick update - Off to Surrey rolling road tomorrow, hopefully get a power run in with a couple of mates. Me in the 205, An Audi S4 (4.2 V8) and an S1 Lotus ELise with a VVC conversion. Interesting to see what it makes compared to the old engine - It feels a lot quicker, but certainly feels flat after about 6500rpm, whereas the old engine just kept on pulling and pulling, which I think is probably a limitation of the standard inlet manifold and camshaft.

Anything over 175 and I will be happy. Anything under means there is work to be done! :lol:

RossD

Had fun at the rolling road - Managed to make the power I wanted, with a lovely torque curve and the AFR is pretty much bang on. Not bad for something that's been mapped on the road by me B)

So it made 180bhp at 6500rpm and 152 Lbft at 4800rpm. What is noticeable though is its making 150lbft from 4750rpm all the way through to 6250rpm. Who needs Variable Valve Timing :P. Its also above 140lbft from 2750rpm onwards, no wonder if felt like it pulled like diesel at low revs!

Power and AFR

DSC_0020.jpg

Power and Torque
DSC_0019.jpg

Edited by RossD