• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mbayley77

306 Derv Running Away!

mbayley77

My dads 306 derv turbo (1995) has suddenly started revving of its own free will or accelerating away if in gear obviously - think my dad enjoys it but my mum doesnt seem to cope with it so well!!!

Any ideas why this may be happening. A local garage suspects the diesel pump. Its the Lucas jobby.

I have a spare bosch pump but guess it cant just be swapped. Is it possible in any way to swap the pump as I have a complete diesel turbo engine that the bosch unit com off.

Thanks

Richie-Van-GTi

you can swap the pump, just time it up, the PMH should be printed on it somewhere :D

Might be worth checking for oil in the bores, not uncommon for the car to run on its own oil if its worn badly.

mbayley77

Would oil in the bores make it accelerate though? Its not running on after the ignition is off.

Excuse my ignorance - what is PM

I hate the smell of diesel :D

Cheers

jim21070

If the engine has a Lucas/CAV/RotoDiesel Pump then runaways can be caused by air leaks in the fuel supply and return lines.

These pumps use the diesel fuel as a hydraulic fluid for governing purposes within the pump and if it has air in it the governor fails to work correctly.

Also, overfilling the sump, and not by much, can cause this problem. It can be fatal to the engine.

Would oil in the bores make it accelerate though? Its not running on after the ignition is off.

Excuse my ignorance - what is PM

I hate the smell of diesel :D

Cheers

Yes, the engine would be consuming it's own oil and using it as fuel..

I love the smell of diesel actually...

Its the Lucas jobby.

I have a spare bosch pump but guess it cant just be swapped. Is it possible in any way to swap the pump as I have a complete diesel turbo engine that the bosch unit com off.

Thanks

Short answer is No. Longer and qualified answer is Yes. You can swap to the Bosch Pump if it is intended for use with that engine (i.e. an XUD9TE) AND you swap injectors and injector lines. They look similar but they are very different. The Lucas and Bosch pumps have a different firing order when viewed from the perspective of the delivery outlets from the pump.

welshpug

It'll be the boost compensator capsule, they have developed a habit of perishing of late (guess they're getting on a bit by now) try disconnecting this (small hose to the front of the intercooler, plug it with a bolt) and see what happens.

I also like the smell of diesel :D so much easier to work on too, if you have fuel at the right time It goes!! simple as that :D

Sign in to follow this