• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
crf450

Rear Negative Camber

crf450

I'm just replacing one of the stub axles on my 306 rear beam and while it was stripped down I thought I might bore the arm out to give the rear some neg camber. I've done a search and I think the SBC kit gives about degree one negative, does anyone know if this is about optimum for a track car?

Thanks Martin.

Super Josh

Don't know if the 1 degree of camber is optimum, but the SBC kit also gives a little toe-in too.

Josh

nick

Oi, stop pissing about with your own car and get my pistons done!!

Nick

Edited by nick

shine

I've been running with -2,2 degr negative camber rear on my Gti. Don't know difference to -1 degr, but regarding to std it's, very stable at rear, tire temp is almost same inside/outside after heavy track driving, and tyre wear seems to be equal over contact area.

When doing this mod I also added some to-in, about 2mm. This makes rear end less overstear.

niklas

It depends a lot on the roll stiffness of the car, but imagine that most cars with mcpherson struts use upto -4 degrees in the front.

Because of the way these beams work (with none camber gain) you want about the same camber in the rear as in the front!

But measuring the tire temperature is really the only way to know for your car!

Henry Yorke

309 GTI16's have -1 degree. Not sure how neg camber will impact the passive rear wheel steer on a GTI-6 as it may make it more snappy as the toe-in effectively alters mid corner under lead

Edited by Henry Yorke

Powers

Shine, how did you achieve those figures? Are you able to buy different stub axles in Norway? Thanks for the input.

cybernck

doesn't toe-in on the rear slow the car down a little bit?

James_R

they used to run something like 3mm per rim toe-out on the rear wheels only, which greatly improved tyre

heating and turn-in - hope that helps

That's part of an e-mail from one of the engineers that built the 306 BTCC's cars.

phatgti

I run 1mm toe out on my alfa to promote turn in - it's quite lairy on the first race lap until they get warm but if you can hold it then it's amazing.

I run 2-3mm toe out on the front as well with -3 camber and between -.5 and -1 on the rear.

shine
doesn't toe-in on the rear slow the car down a little bit?

Yes, slow down/get a more neutral rear end. As other say, some to-out will help turn in. It's always difficult to find whats best. I've tried to get as much balance in the car, and I was statisfied with the rear end a little bit more stable/neutral.

shine
Shine, how did you achieve those figures? Are you able to buy different stub axles in Norway? Thanks for the input.

I've machined the rear end myself.

pdd144c

You can buy the modified stubs from somewhere. Skip Brown kit is what I'm using on my car. Can't remember the price off the top of my head now...

crf450

Thanks for all the input chaps,as I have said I have the arms set up on the machine ATM waiting to be machined,the arm is set as standard with neg camber and toe in but not as much as some of you lot are running.

Cheers Martin

Sign in to follow this