• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tidypug

Problem With Lights Now I Have The Hids Fitted.

tidypug

The problem i have now is that the way the hids are wired in mean that one of the bulb connectors is not used. So when i out main beam on the fog lights come on and won't turn off until i turn the ignition off. I know its because of the unused connector because when i put a bulb in it the problem goes away. My thought is to put a resistor in the plug but don't have any to hand to try it. Does this sound like an idea that may work?

Alastairh

How about a blown bulb for utter cheapness?

tidypug

I'm not sure if it will work, i'll have a look for one and give it a go

Henry Yorke

So the relay for the fogs is kicking in when you put main beam on, but not un-setting when you turn them off?

What does bridging a piece of wire do between the unused wire and the earth? Surely the bulb must just transfer this current? Maybe the HID has a diode in it somewhere that stops the current returning the other way or something. As you can see I am no electrician!!

Super Josh

When you say only one connector is used, do you mean you a just plugging into one of the H4 connectors on just one headlight?

@Henry, I wouldn't bridge between the unused wire and earth, that will end in a direct short and blow a fuse.

I had a couple of problems.

You may need to remove the Dim/Dip resistor, as this can cause the dipped lights to switch on when you've got the sidelights only switched on, as enough current is passed by the resistor to switch on the HIDs.

I had a similar problem to you with the driving lamps and what appeared to be happening was that enough current was being sent back up main beam wire to hold the driving lamp relay in the energised state, maybe a fairly watty resistor may pull the voltage down enough to release the relay. I can't remember what I did, I'll have to go out and have a look.

Josh

Super Josh

Just had a thought on the driving lamp problem. If you unplug both HID's from the main car wiring loom I assume that the driving lamps will disengage properly without any bulbs plugged in? If this is the case then go to your local Maplins or equivalent Electronics store and buy some general purpose rectifier diodes, such as a 1N4004 (1 Amp) or a 1N5401 (3 Amp). Wire this into the High Beam circuit, where the HID's plug in, with the white stripe on the Diode towards the HID's. That should dop the trick.

Josh

tidypug

top man, thanks for that, i'll get my self down to maplins. :D

Sign in to follow this