• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tony_205

Super Unleaded Fuel = Nightmare

Tony_205

Got the Pug on the road today for my lad, he's gone to the local Tesco and put 20quids worth of Super Unleaded Fuel in it, 3 miles down the road, the car has started spluttering in all gears, and after a while its got to the stage where it wont pull away in 1st gear now :)

Car drives fine in reverse, this is the method we used to drive it home lol

Ive added 8quids worth of standard unleaded into the tank, to try and dilute it. Ill go up and get some more unleaded in the morning and run the car from cold.. - Do you think this will cure the problem or should i drain the tank etc??

Any help much appreciated, :)

GazRallye

Are you sure thats the problem?

I put super unleaded in every once in a while and it runs ok!

j_turnell

Cant see this being the problem, was the ignition timing advanced atall??? Does it idle fine or constantly splutter, i'd check all the ignition components are ok.

welshpug

sounds like a totally unrelated problem to me, my 205 runs purely on vpower or sainsburys super.

TurboSam

agree with the others, unlikely to have anything to do with the super unleaded.

is it misfiring or just coughing/spluttering?

Edited by TurboSam

Ahl

Maybe you got some bad fuel?

nick

I've just read in PPC that Tesco 99 fuel came out top in an independant test.

I'd also say that bad fuel is very unlikely.

Nick

benje

There was a thread over on pistonheads about some guy who filled his brand new Z/M4 with what i think it was BP ultimate. Turns out no one had used that particular pump for a while and he ended up with a tank full of sludge and water in it, obviously knackering it!

Ahl
There was a thread over on pistonheads about some guy who filled his brand new Z/M4 with what i think it was BP ultimate. Turns out no one had used that particular pump for a while and he ended up with a tank full of sludge and water in it, obviously knackering it!

Yeah, it does happen occasionally.

I remember my mums car (and a load of others) had something similar a while back. It turns out that they had managed to get a load of water in the underground tank when it was being filled up.

lagonda

Not unknown for petrol station tanks to have water in them. I had terrible trouble many years ago, car running badly all the time, changed all sorts of parts, made no difference. Happened to fill car at a different petrol station & car gradually started improving; it was water in their petrol.

If you've had the car off the road for a while, it could just be condensation in the car's tank, although I don't know if that's likely with a plastic tank.

Also ... are you sure it's not diesel that got put in? Happened to me in France, symptoms sound similar.

steve@cornwall

But why would it drive ok backwards? earthing or fuel line problem which is relieved with the engine pulling forward slightly on reverse?

Guest BrainFluid

Yeah I'ld double check it wasnt Diesel he put in there....

Tony_205

Right, iv had a Peugeot Mechanic look at the car today. He undone the fuel feed from the injector rail and ticked the car over, he said the fuel being pumped through is DIESEL as it leaves an oily residue to the touch, wheras as petrol would evaporate. Now my lad said, he swears that he checked and put in Super Unleaded.....

Tonight, he has been to tesco with his mate, and the pump he used is CONED OFF!!! This leads me to believe that there may be a slight possibility that there could have been diesel in the pump he used ???

So im unsure weather to call the RAC out tomorrow and get a report etc from them...

Car is running s*it at the min, there is diesel all in the injectors etc, we've had the car ticking over all afternoon, to no avail as the full tank of unleaded hasnt cleared all the diesel out... Going to keep trying tomorrow though!

benje

In that case then I'd badger the garage for some sort of compensation. Only difficulty being trying to prove you filled up at that pump!

Tony_205

Tesco have advanced CCTV matey,

nick

The pump number on is usually on the receipt.

Nick

Tony_205

No reciept ;)

jackherer
Car is running s*it at the min, there is diesel all in the injectors etc, we've had the car ticking over all afternoon, to no avail as the full tank of unleaded hasnt cleared all the diesel out... Going to keep trying tomorrow though!

have you changed the fuel filter? if not get that done and it'll probably be fine.

what 205 is this btw? is this in the wrong section?

lagonda

Slight good news in this is that apparently diesel is quite good at clearing residues & crap out of the system. It follows therefore that it would be wise to change the filter once all the diesel has run through.

jackherer

I assumed you had drained the tank, I wouldn't run diesel through knowingly.

If you lift the rear seat base you can get access to the fuel pump...

stevec205gti

I had the same problem with my local garage - I filled up with a tankful of unleaded and get a nice mix of diesel. Fortunately a guy I worked with knew of a woman that had exactly the same problem as she filled up the same night.

Make sure you go and speak to the garage asap and find out if this has happened. I billed the garage for the tank of fuel, and the garage fee to drain the tank, change the filters, service etc - they were quite willing to pay for it as it was their mistake.

Guest BrainFluid

I really would'nt worry about proof.

RAC picked you up 3 miles down the road from the petrol station, and you now know that diesel is what was put into the tank. Tesco has cctv that they keep for atleast a week. Did your lad pay card or cash? Did he draw any money out at the petrol station?

The MOST important thing is to contact the station as soon as possible really.

And I'm sure they will give you 'nearly' everything that you ask of them :D

Good luck . I doubt that you will need it though!!!

Sign in to follow this