• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GazRallye

Will Gti Brakes Fit Xs?

GazRallye

Will the front brakes from either a 1.6 or 1.9 fit onto my hubs and legs on an xs, or will i have to change the lot?

I'm guessing that if i did, the driveshafts would be different as well as they uses different boxes

thanks

edit: sorry i've posted it in the wrong section, can someone move it for me please?

Edited by GazRallye

welshpug

IIRC youll have the same offset hub as the 1.6 gti but have 10mm solids instead of the 20.4mm venteds, so youll need the calipers and discs.

willxs

the 1.9 setup bolts straight on.

Jer309GTi
the 1.9 setup bolts straight on.

I'll second that, I've got the 1.9 setup on my XS

GazRallye

Nice one chaps!

GazRallye

oh yeah

Will the 1.9 set up fit under 14" 1.6 gti alloys?

j_turnell

Yes it should do, i know the 1.6 speedlines do for deff, you may need to grind a bit of the yoke of the caliper if you have the smr's. Fit and see, some are fine others catch slightly.

jacobs53

i was told only 1.6 calipers matched to 1.9 discs will fit on base model hubs... I had this on my own gt ages ago and it worked fine

lee

GazRallye

are the 1.6 and 1.9 discs the same size then? in the haynes it just says 247mm, vented for gti and non for lesser models

GazRallye

Just done a bit of research, should have done this in the first place but didn't know about the bendix or girling thing

So correct me if i'm wrong but:

-i need 1.9 discs to match the offset of my 1.4 hubs

-girling 1.9 calipers will fit under 14" alloys depedent on where they were made and if not a small ammount can be ground away

jacobs53

Are you 100% sure the 1.9 setup fits onto the base model hub without the brakes binding or touching slighty?

Because When i had my Gt (same as xs) I was advised on this forum that the 1.6 caliper and 1.9 disc was the only solution to fitting the gti brake set-up. It worked fine on my car and transformed the standard brakes.

Surely the offset of the 1.6 caliper is different to the 1.9?

lee

Jrod

I have 1.6 calipers with 1.9 discs and that works fine...

RossD

I had the pre 1999 306TD setup on mine, works perfectly. Probably better than the 1.9 GTi setup as the calipers etc will be newer. Also the 266mm setup from the 306 HDi, estate etc will fit under 14" wheels. (Well they fitted under the 14" steelies I had on mine, also the 306 TD 14" alloys).

Food for thought :)

GazRallye
I had the pre 1999 306TD setup on mine, works perfectly. Probably better than the 1.9 GTi setup as the calipers etc will be newer. Also the 266mm setup from the 306 HDi, estate etc will fit under 14" wheels. (Well they fitted under the 14" steelies I had on mine, also the 306 TD 14" alloys).

Food for thought :)

Did you use 306 discs and calipers?

stu_woac

I too have the 306 td setup you use everything from a 306 including bolts to hold the calipers on this is a straight swap

you could if your want to change wheels too 15" and go the full hog and fit 206 gti 180 or 307 hdi etc etc brakes (same brake setup) on to your car while your changing giving you the 283mm setup

trogboy

I used to use the 1.6 hubs, calipers and disks on my rallye but now I have gone back to the base model hubs with 1.9 calipers and disks. The 1.6 calipers wore after a while and I got a really annoying clunk when braking after reversing direction as the pads shifted.

Loads of people use the 306 stuff on their cars. I guess it boils down to personal choice.

Sign in to follow this