• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest wophilli

Fuel Pump Healp Needed. Misfiring When Cold

Guest wophilli

So... My 205 xs misfires when its cold badly, and also when the choke is on. This only happened after i took the carb apart and serviced it. Anyway, i thought i would try cleaning the fuel filter, so took off the fuel pump, only to find its a sealed unit. It is now an absoulte nightmare to get back on due to the kind of sprung loaded, kinked lever that comes off the unit and goes into the block.

Any ideas to fix the misfiring or get the damn fuel pump back on?

Thanks in advance, wophilli

bren_1.3

in my eyes its just something they do im afraid, all the rallyes, and XS's and base models ive driven with carb fed TU's has misfired when cold and when on choke when its cold.

macaroni

The fuel pump should be a doddle to put back on. I have to take mine off every time I leave the car for a few days as it always needs priming. It is a the work of less than a minute to remove and refit.

Just slide the lever up inside the head, not block (or maybe thats your problem!),

and screw the 2 bolts back in as the pump pushes against the internal spring.

When you put the carb back on, did you re-attached the electric wire for the carb heater?

stu_woac

lol carb heater dont touch LOL, the pump is very easy if your finding it hard to put back in due to it spring out then turn the engine by hand alittle and your find it goes in very easy

the missfire could be a seal problem on the bottom of the carb did you replace the gasket to the manifold if you did your carb is wraped,

or the jets are blocked

did you put the right jets and air correctors back it the right way???

brens if the xs is running right they will never misfire its not something they just do its a poorly carb ,

bren_1.3
brens if the xs is running right they will never misfire its not something they just do its a poorly carb ,

yeh your right, tis only on start up with my 1.1 at the moment. cant take any load when it fires up or it just dies. could really do with a service, but hey its a cheap hack. my brother's rallye used to do it until i gave his carb an overhaul, but they could all do with an overhaul these days.

stu_woac

yes the solex isnt the best carb neither witch doesnt help I say twin 40s all the way lol

Guest wophilli
lol carb heater dont touch LOL, the pump is very easy if your finding it hard to put back in due to it spring out then turn the engine by hand alittle and your find it goes in very easy

the missfire could be a seal problem on the bottom of the carb did you replace the gasket to the manifold if you did your carb is wraped,

or the jets are blocked

did you put the right jets and air correctors back it the right way???

Thanks for the relies, Iv got the fuel pump back on now, it confused me a bit because it looked as though it needed another gasket to pad it out, but i just put the bolts back in and it did just tighten up against the spring which is good.

Misfiring is still a problem though... "the missfire could be a seal problem on the bottom of the carb did you replace the gasket to the manifold if you did your carb is wraped". Was that meant to say warped? Ihope not! When i took the carb off, i did replace the gasket, i swapped every gasket that was supplied with the kit from fuelpartsuk.co.uk, but was very carefull with it so dont see how it could have warped as it wasnt a problem before i took it off.

I dont think the jets should be blocked after the amount of cleaner i sprayed down them and the time i spent blowing through them, and i dont have a clue what the carb heater is.

what confuses me, is that it only happens when the car is cold, or when the choke is on. Once the car is up to temperature, it all runs fine.

Once again, thanks very much for your help in advance! owen

stu_woac

well if it has warped it wouldnt be a problem before you change the big gasket to the manifold, are you using the original airbox???

Guest wophilli
well if it has warped it wouldnt be a problem before you change the big gasket to the manifold, are you using the original airbox???

Yeh original airbox, no modifications to the car whatsoever. Do you know where the mixture screw is on the solex z2 carb, as it only seems to be playing up when its cold (almost undrivable at night or early morning now, or when the choke is on once warm (not that it would need to be though)). Also it seems to be ok once it gets over 3k revs or so.

cheers, wophilli

stu_woac

mixture srew is on the drivers side of the carb at the back of it low down your need a very small flat headed srew driver to play with that

Rippthrough

Sounds like it might well be carb icing - I've just had this problem with my throttle body.

Is you carb heater working?

Guest wophilli
Sounds like it might well be carb icing - I've just had this problem with my throttle body.

Is you carb heater working?

I dont even know if i have a carb heater, this is one of the problems im having: i can't find ANY information about the carb anywhere, and the haynes manual doesnt even acknowledge any 205's having a twin choke carb. If i do have a carb heater and it isnt working properly (leading to icing), that stil doesnt explain why it misfires with the choke on once warm, up to 3k revs.

does anyone know where i can get hold of some info on the carb online, or a book or something? cheers, owen

Rippthrough
I dont even know if i have a carb heater, this is one of the problems im having: i can't find ANY information about the carb anywhere, and the haynes manual doesnt even acknowledge any 205's having a twin choke carb. If i do have a carb heater and it isnt working properly (leading to icing), that stil doesnt explain why it misfires with the choke on once warm, up to 3k revs.

does anyone know where i can get hold of some info on the carb online, or a book or something? cheers, owen

Why would you want the choke on when it's warm anyway?!

Guest wophilli
Why would you want the choke on when it's warm anyway?!

No reason, i did it as a test to see if it made it any worse or better, as it didnt make any difference other than up the revs before i took the carb off.

The only thing i think it could be is mixture too rich possibly?

stu_woac

I wouldnt say it was carb icing the way a standard xs works with all standard parts the carb gets hot very quickly

but there is a cable on the back of the carb this is the heater the other cable is on the starter ciruit of wires below the carb when you connect it if it wasnt connected b4 your most likely get the red stop light on the dash come up as they failed alot

it could be the mix or like Ive said be 4 the jets and air corretors are not in the right way

also is the coil pack been replaced

Edited by stu_woac

Rippthrough

Well I've reconnected the manifold heating, used heatsink compund to help with the heat transfer to the carb from the manifold and put a small electrical heater on there and I'm still getting a very small amount of frost over the throttle plate - not enough to affect running any more though.

Before, with the PTFE gaskets on the manifold and head and the throttle body and manifold + the CAI it looked like someone was throwing ice cubes in.

Edited by Rippthrough

Sign in to follow this