• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M3Evo

[project] Nothing To Do With 205's, But Behold!

GLPoomobile
Hooray! It works!

Boo, the brakes are taking ages to bleed :(

Here's some piccies though!

My completely standard and inconspicuous looking front end :unsure:

4.jpg

And the wonderfully neat, tidy and well ordered engine bay!

Note the extreme relevance to this forum: The two 1.9GTi air filters :(

1.jpg

Have fun with them speed hump, mate!! :P

tom_m

out fookin standing! you must be chuffed!

M3Evo
lovin the use of the bungee cords mate, top class! :(

:P no expense spared here! :D

Mabey I should've made the scoops a little bit less huge :unsure:

More worried about getting off my own drive than speed humps at the moment as the drive points down at about 20degrees and meets the road at that angle.

Mabey the next project should be to make the driveway a little bit friendlier for the car :(

Cheers!

Alex

Butler

So when is the maiden voyage?

M3Evo

Well, I was hoping that it'd be before the new year, but the rain's stopped play as I need to bleed the brakes, adjust the tappets and crawl underneath to check the gearbox oil, none of which I really fancy whilst being piss wet through :unsure:

It's annoying that it's so close, but then I don't wanna rush anything and have it all go tits up.

Rippthrough

It's not driveways or speed humps you should worry about, its a few inches of snow combined with your 2 ploughs.

miamistu
It's not driveways or speed humps you should worry about, its a few inches of snow combined with your 2 ploughs.

Well that's fine, the scoops will turn the intercoolers into interverycoolers :unsure:

M3Evo

Believe it or not, I do still have about 120mm of clearance under the scoops. Surely there must be a load of pikey kids in their Saxos with less than that?!

Rippthrough
Believe it or not, I do still have about 120mm of clearance under the scoops. Surely there must be a load of pikey kids in their Saxos with less than that?!

Probably, I know I can lose a few round here by going down a road with speedbumps.

They look lower than they are then!

pacey205

Looks good Alex.

I supose if the scoops do cause problems you can at least shorten the bottom to gain more clearance as it looks quite large.

Cant wait to see it on the road, will definately be expecting some more pics/videos :unsure:

Michael

Ahl

Im looking forward to seeing it on the road too.

This is excellent work Alex :D you must feel like a proud dad! :)

M3Evo

More like a nervous father-to-be! :)

Right, brakes are bled and have a nice rock 'ard pedal. Time to clamber underneath and check the gearbox oil!

M3Evo

Well, it's finally MOT day tomorrow! :)

I feel literally as nervous as I did the night before one of my (3) driving tests!

Don't hold out much hope for a pass, but at least I've figured out how to change the emissions quickly, and the guy's said he doesn't mind me sitting there with a laptop tapping away.

I hate MOTs! :lol:

miamistu

8 hours to go.... Good luck! :lol:

M3Evo

FAIL!

Little bit of welding to do around a jacking point and the headlights need adjusting. Other than that it's all fine!

Only problem is that it runs like a sack o' s*ite and is barely producing enough power to move itself along the road. :lol:

Rippthrough
FAIL!

Little bit of welding to do around a jacking point and the headlights need adjusting. Other than that it's all fine!

Evidently not! Fun diagnostics bit now then. :lol:

DrSeuss

Its ashame it failed on such minor things. But really its a testament to your workmanship that its only failed on those things. Congratulations, I know i often seem to be rather pessimistic on your threads. But tbh, i'm truly in awe of what you've done.

You are both a credit to this internet community and a grade a f***ing loony.

Now get it mapped up and give me a ride damnit!

M3Evo

Problem is that there's not much that can be tested on the driveway.

It's idles really nicely (if a little rich) but as soon as you try to build the revs, it gets to about 2k and then the revs just plumet before going back to 2k and so forth.

It's the same with any load on. It seems happy enough at or below 1500rpm, but any more and it cuts before coming back in again.

It's very similar indeed to the overrun fuel cutoff in the Pugs actually, although I've turned the feature off, and even with the throttle open it still does it.

Trouble is I have no idea if it's too weak or too rich. I suspect it's too weak as it was well within the paramaters for the MOT when it was tested with some revs on it.

Alas, I'm lost on this one! :(

EDIT> Cheers Sam! Really need to get it so that I'm not dreading driving it I think.

Actually just had a though that the FPR might be causing some problems as it's only attached to one cylinder, as is the boost gauge. Now the gauge is having fits when the engine's running, just wonder if the FPR might be doing the same thing.

Should just give a base pressure of 3bar without the vacuum signal line connected shouldn't it?

EDIT 2> Right, just been out and disconnected the FPR, gauge, dump valve and MAP sensor and it now revs up fine. Obviously the gauge and dump valve won't have much effect on things, and I've a feeling that my MAP sensor may be duff as the reading from it never seems to change.

Baaaargh! What's going on!?

Edited by M3Evo

DrSeuss

Take the engine to where it starts to falter and cut it then check a plug to see how it looks.

Your correct about it being 3 bar compared to atmospheric pressure, its just this will make your idle mixture harder to get right. As you'll be running 3 bar at idle not 3bar minus inlet depression.

Really you want a wideband lambda sensor, but since your not going to map your emerald you might as well get it running ok ish then get it to emerald.

M3Evo

:( I should really stop going back and editing posts!

I really do wonder if the fact that the signal is so up-and-downy from just one cylinder is causing the FPR to go mad as presumably is has some kind of reaction time. Just wonder if at 17Hz it starts to oscillate and hold itself open or something :)

I know there are a million variables, but whereas before it would almost die with any load on it, I've just blasted down the drive and it was fine.

I really do need a wideband lambda sensor, and for the couple of hundred quid they cost, I think it's time to buy one! Got a feeling that they come with a boss to weld onto the exhaust too.

Right, to America!

Edited by M3Evo

M3Evo

Hooray!

Not even 9 o'clock and I've been and got an MOT already! :P

Probably got vastly too much fuel going in now though.

Looks as though it's drunk 1/8 of a tank in 2 miles :)

miamistu
congratulations.gif

M3Evo

:P cheers dude!

You won't be far behind once we can get this machining and material sorted :)

maturin23

Abso-fecking-lutely brilliant!

Nice work - great project well written up - always a pleasure to read.

I've ALWAYS wanted to do something similar - ultimate sleeper stylie - I was dying to turbo my first car - 1.3 Vauxhall Chevette.

So are you going to be bringing the Blown Beige Beastie to any meets?

M3Evo

If everyone promises not to laugh at the patch-work quilt that makes up the bodywork :P

Do need to get it mapped too as it's still not exactly great to drive :)

Think it's running massively rich at the moment as I've upped the fuel pressure by disconnecting the signal line to the FPR, and also dialled in a load more fuel all over the place.