• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stew205

2088cc Mi Bottom End

stew205

I'm looking at having one built by Hiflow.

Has anybody had any experience with this setup?? Or Hiflows bottom ends in general?

Or any other recommendations on where to get one built?

I was going to fit a reconned standard bottom end over the winter but may as well spend a bit more in the quest for power.

Thanks in advance

Stew

DrSeuss

Take one iron block motor, put in a 1.9mi crank, find bearings to fit (ask hilgie) and voila 2088cc from an iron block mi motor. If i find a good 1.9mi crank its what i'll be doing.

stew205

Anybody got any experience of using one though?

Hilgie

Not yet....still building. The head is now ready to go on.

stew205

Great

I will look forward to seeing how you get on. Keep us informed :)

stew205
Take one iron block motor, put in a 1.9mi crank, find bearings to fit (ask hilgie) and voila 2088cc from an iron block mi motor. If i find a good 1.9mi crank its what i'll be doing.

This creates a longer stroke motor though which isn't what you want when revs are the way of unleasing power on the Mi.

Think I would rather go down the route of increasing bore diameter and using oversized pistons. Maybe just up the rev limit abit, say 7800rpm and should get a better spread of power.

Hilgie

The 1.9Mi is longstroke (83x88) but the 2.0Mi is square (86x86).

By putting in the 1.9Mi crank it will be longstroke again. (86x88) AND 2045cc

Cheers,

Hilgert

Wurzel

I take it that the bearings aren't your standard (or oversized) type from what was mentioned then?

stew205

So Hilge if you keep the 2.0 Mi crank and increase bore size it will be a more free reving engine? :)

Hilgie

Yeah...it will be over-square then.

Hilgie
I take it that the bearings aren't your standard (or oversized) type from what was mentioned then?

Bearings are from the XUD9 (1.9 diesel).

This is a cast-iron block with a 1.9 crank.

Wurzel
Bearings are from the XUD9 (1.9 diesel).

This is a cast-iron block with a 1.9 crank.

That's cool Hilgie, just interested in the ins and outs of the conversion.

Not trying to hijack the thread here, but I'm guessing it would be prudent to use new liners given the wear ridge on old ones? Also, any machining of pistons required?

I'm going to have to start a new thread I think :)

DrSeuss

The s16 motor has about 3mm clearance as standard between the deck of the block and the piston crown so the 1.9 mi crank goes straight in with no problems on standard rods. The wear ridge is something to consider certainly but if its deep enough to cause problems its probably a rebore anyway (the cast block doesn't have liners)

pug_ham

Thanks for confirming the actually cc of the iron block with an Mi or XU9 crank Hilgie, this is what I'm building over winter but sticking with an 8v XU10 head.

Would there be enough clearance to bore the block to 88mm & get some pistons to suit?:P

Graham.:)

B1ack_Mi16

I'm also very interested in knowing how much these blocks can be bored out.

A mate of mine is making a 2.0 20v Turbo engine for his Audi A4, and has bored the block to 83mm, so there's now 5mm material between the sylinders.

On the XU10 block for the Pug there's originally 7mm between the sylinders with 86mm bore, so taking it to 88mm will give 5mm between the sylinders.

Question is if the weakest (thinnest) point will be between the cylinders, or somewhere else.

I'm going to take my block to the local enginebuilder in the first couple of days, and will post when I get his opinion.

Hilgie

AFAIK it can be bored to 88mm without probs.

Sam

We need that guy that made a 2.4 mi to reply :)

DrSeuss

He didn't make it he bought it ready made

B1ack_Mi16

Does anyone know where to buy headgaskets that will suit the XU engines with a bore of 88mm ?

I guess the original one is 87mm, and if I go for 88mm bore, and the pistons will stick slightly over the deck of the block, I just can't use the 87mm gasket.

Calculated compression 10.9:1 if the head chamer volume is taken up to 47cc if that will unschroud the valves it has to be done :) Then the pistons will be 0.4mm over the deck if the headgasket is 1.3mm thick. Isnt't that the standard thickness of the pug headgaskets?

But anyway.. XU headgaskets with larger bore? From where? :P

Sam
He didn't make it he bought it ready made

Someone must have made it !! :)

crf450
Does anyone know where to buy headgaskets that will suit the XU engines with a bore of 88mm ?

I guess the original one is 87mm, and if I go for 88mm bore, and the pistons will stick slightly over the deck of the block, I just can't use the 87mm gasket.

Calculated compression 10.9:1 if the head chamer volume is taken up to 47cc if that will unschroud the valves it has to be done :) Then the pistons will be 0.4mm over the deck if the headgasket is 1.3mm thick. Isnt't that the standard thickness of the pug headgaskets?

But anyway.. XU headgaskets with larger bore? From where? :P

Cometic have got loads of head gaskets in stock to suit over bored ZU engines.

I got my 88mm gasket from there for £50.

I think they do a 89mm one which must mean people are building 89mm bore ZU motors.

Cheers Martin

B1ack_Mi16

Nice!

I could only find 88mm bore gasket in their catalog, but that's actually enough for me, not going 89mm anyway.

Just sent them an e-mail, waiting for reply on price and how to order :)

Hilgie

For the 2.4 litre Mi16 they used a special 100mm crank, making it a VERY long stroke engine.

PumaRacing
This creates a longer stroke motor though which isn't what you want when revs are the way of unleasing power on the Mi.

Curious. What possible reason would you have for thinking that revs "unleash" power on an Mi or any other engine?

How do you "force" an engine to rev higher then and why does any power then magically appear?

Hilgie

I agree with that...why is there the idea of revving the engine hard? Maybe because it's a 16V which has the characteristic of unleashing power above 4000rpm??

My goal with the 2045cc engine is the have a little more cc AND a long stroke engine so I don't have to rev it to 8k all the time. This engine should be capable of giving it's max torque (were taking torque instead of bhp) around 2500-3000 rpm. Now THAT's a nice engine.

• Like 1