• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ted

Rear Beams

Ted

i'm planing to go and find another rear beam from the scrappies

i have a 1.4 base model

whats the difference between the base models and the gti ?

also would a beam from a 309 (non gti) fit on a base model ? would it be to wide ?

Thanks

Ted

jacobs53

the difference is as follows

1.0,1.1,1.4 (not xs/gt)

track - 1300mm

drums

1.4 xs/gt

track - 1314mm

drums

1.6gti

track - 1328mm

drums

1.9gti

track - 1344mm

disks

309gti

track - 1355mm

disks

So as you have said yours is a 1.4 depending on which model it is. It will be either 1300mm or 1314mm

You can fit any of the beams but anything above the 1.6gti beam will foul the outside of the arches

hope this helps

lee

Anthony

Slightly off topic, but are you sure of those figures? I could have sworn that people said that the 309GTi rear beam is about 50mm wider than the 205GTi one - it certainly looks much wider than the 11mm you suggest...

jacobs53

All the figures except the 309gti one is from the haynes manual. So it might be incorrect, anyone got a 309 haynes manual???

slightly off topic, anthony do you feel like another midlands meet, we are arranging a trackday too

cheers lee

jackherer

309 GTI beam is def 50mm wider than the 205 1.9 beam, according to my tape measure!

sortof on topic: does anyone know the spec of the 1.6 CTI beam? Is it a raised 1.6 beam or is it an XS spec beam?

jacobs53

the cti beam is 1328mm same as the 1.6gti

lee

jackherer
the cti beam is 1328mm same as the 1.6gti

lee

cheers

does it say anything about the torsion bar and arb diameters?

Anthony
slightly off topic, anthony do you feel like another midlands meet, we are arranging a trackday too

Possibly, depending on when, where, and whats happening - trackday sounds good though, so long as it's not too far 'Norf. Mainly depends on when it is though, as I'm away for most of March over in the States and I've a few things happening this month.

I've replied to your thread in the Meets section anyway with more details :D

</thread hijack>

Ted

any ideas how much the 1.6 or xs beam would cost from a breakers?

jacobs53

I think depending on the condition 70 quid, some scrappies don't know how much they are worth though, and i seen one go for 20 quid the once! shocking I know

lee

Alan_M

Surely the torsion bars and arb's are bigger on the GTi's as well!

jacobs53

yeah the torsion bars are bigger on the gti models, but i can't find the values for them.

Anyone know so they can help out ted?

basically ted any beam will fit on, but the larger the rear track the more problems with the arches will occur, i think a 1.6gti beam will be o.k for a non-gti, if you get a 1.9gti beam you also have to make sure you get good calipers.

cheers lee

C_W

I'm not sure those beam widths are correct; the 309GTi is definatley a lot more than 11mm wider than a 205GTi.

There is little differene between a 1.6gti and 1.9gti in track width at the back - certainly not 16mm. And I don't think there is much difference between a standard non-gti either; i think they are the same as a 1.6gti with drums; the alloys make the difference in track I reckon. I used to have a non-gti subframe on mine and it all looks the same.

I'm never sure whether those figures include the wheels or not; this would make sense with them all, bar the 309gti. As the wheels get wider/different offset from the standard to 1.9gti.

Non-gti beams have about 1mm thinner torsion bars; not a great difference; the anti-roll bar on the gti models makes the most difference.

Lee_GiT

hummm...ive got a 1.9rear beam to fit on to my XS...im guessing this will cause problems on the outta arch? as i have 1.9speedlines?

thanks lee

gareth

i'm fairly sure the track dimensions in the haynes manual are from either the centre lines of the wheels or the outer edges of the wheels. the actual wheel fitted will effect the track. can anyone verify this with a tape measure?!!

i bet all of the 205 beams are actually the same width between hub faces (maybe 1.9 gti wider than all others dues to the difference in the brake setup). i could be wrong though!

i can't measure the track on either of mine at the moment as my wench is out in one and the other is at my dads without an engine (10 miles away!!)

C_W

I think they are all very similar; just the wheels that make the difference.

jonah

The brake assembly will make a difference too - I think the TD and 1.6GTi have deeper drums than lower spec models, and the hub assembly on disc models will probably change the track width again....

Torsion bar thicknesses: the parts CD lists 3 diameters - 18.9, 18.5 and 18.1mm. The bars on my 1.6GTi are 18.9mm (although I've heard some people say they've found thinner bars on a 1.6); a diesel and a CTi beam that I got from scrappies both had 18.5mm bars. They also both had a thinner ARB than my GTi beam, can't remember the measurments though.

Another difference between GTi and non-GTi beams is that the centre section of the axle tube has a larger diameter on GTi models. I guess this is to increase rigidity. IIRC the GTi tube is painted yellow, non-GTi is black.

Ted

i'm not too worried about the torsion bars as i'm not going to use them :).

Thanks for the help all

jackherer
a diesel and a CTi beam that I got from scrappies both had 18.5mm bars. They also both had a thinner ARB than my GTi beam

thats what I needed to know...

cheers :)

MartinR

C_W is right the torsion bars are different on the 1.6 to the 1.9

afaik the torsion bars on the 1.9 are the same as the 309

as the guys are saying there are a shít load of 205s sitting in scrappies with decent beams on, hell there are even 106s sitting in there, i am pretty sure they are the same but dont quote me on that.

I trawled 8 scrappies in my area today and i cant find 1 GTi in them not 1!!!!!!!!

all i want is 1 1.9 GTi speedline just 1 dammit, but there are like hens teeth

C_W

Did I say that?? :)

Torsion bars on the 1.9 aren't the samea as a 309 as they are wider on the 309 thicker.

1.6 and 1.9 torsion bars are the same. As is the width of the track (or thereabouts).

106 rear beams are different still though I bet they are all a very similar design.

pug_ham
torsion bars are different on the 1.6 to the 1.9

afaik the torsion bars on the 1.9 are the same as the 309

Just checked because I 'happen :( ' to have one of each in my celler, (1.6, 1.9 & 309 GTi beam) & the 1.6 & 1.9 are the same within 0.5mm of each other (18mm doesn't slide over & 19mm does with similar amounts of slack) but 19mm doesn't fit over the 309 bars.

The 309 bars are wider than the 205 ones by about 50mm iirc.

Graham.:)

MartinR

i stand corrected

when i was at SSP they said i had thicker torsion bars than 1.6s normally have. Whether or not they were bulls*itting me i dont know, but coz they do loads of em, i just believed them

:)

<edit> apologies to C_W i was having a mad moment, just re-read the posts and god only knows why i said what i said </edit>

need to lay off the sauce i think

Edited by MartinR

Sign in to follow this