• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest seb

I've Made A *very* Annoying Mistake

Guest seb

So had quite a lot of the front of the car in pieces yesterday, and quite predictably forgot to reconnect the bonnet release cable before I shut the bonnet. I've tried reaching up from underneath but there's no way enough space for me to get my hand in there.

How can I sort this? As far as I can figure out the stuff which I'd need to move to be able to get in there is all secured by bolts around the slam panel area which obviously I can't get to!

Particularly annoying since I have a headlight I need to fit - how illegal is it to drive around with only one headlight?

- seb

perfecto pug

you can do it from underneath as i've had to do it a few times and its a pain in the arse

get yourself a flatbladed screwdriver (a reasonable size one), jack the car up at a bit and support on axel stands

next lay on your back and shove your arm up alongside the rad, the catch does stick out slightly and the bit the cable attaches to needs to be pushed towards the passenger side headlight with teh screwdriver, it will be quite hard due to the spring acting on it.

once the slack is taken up give it one last jolt and it should be enough to pop the bonnet

hope this helps

Jim

Alan_M

Sebs got an Mi16, so i'd imagine the sliding the hand between the inlet and rad may be that bit tighter!

Guest rene

don't now if this helps , but it should be possible to remove the complete headlight unit when the bonnet is shut , at least you can change the light and maybe you can open the bonnet throug the head light hole ? and no your not the first to do this :blink::D:D

Guest seb
Sebs got an Mi16, so i'd imagine the sliding the hand between the inlet and rad may be that bit tighter!

Yeah, we're talking 5mm of space to play in :D

Guest seb
don't now if this helps , but it should be possible to remove the complete headlight unit when the bonnet is shut , at least you can change the light and maybe you can open the bonnet throug the head light hole ? and no your not the first to do this :D:blink:B)

The headlight is already out, the sealant needed to dry so I left it in the house overnight. It's the drivers side headlight - I've tried reaching through this hole but it doesn't really get me anywhere.

As for lying on my back, I feel I can get *close* to the catch if I approach it from the passenger side, but then I'm going to need to pull instead of push it. And I don't think I've managed to reach it yet anyway. Because of the manifold I cant get my arm up the driver's side at all.

Things are not helped by me not really knowing what the catch under the slam panel looks like - hence I don't know what it feels like either :D

Also when I DO open the bonnet I have to pull very hard on that lever, so I don't fancy my chances of getting anywhere without the lever :D

Guest seb

Right, I've spent a fair bit of time under the car, have lots of scrapes to show for it, and so far have only been able to touch the bonnet release with the tip of my finger, with absoltuely no more space to give, no chance of gripping it, pulling it, or wielding a tool.

Guest rene

hm , seems like you have a serious problem :blink:

it can help if someone wil push the hood down to get some of the pressuere of the lock , but if you can't reach it that does't help .

the pin that fals in to the lock is screwd in the hood , maybe if you can see the bottom of this you can unscrew it with a long screwdriver or something ?

good luck anyway :D

Guest seb

Is there anythign I can take off which would help?

Can I remove the bumper without going under the bonnet, and if so would that let me move the radiator or anythign else?

Simes

Can it be accessible if you remove the grill in anger?

Edited by Simes

Guest seb

Someone else suggested this, but on consulting with ant we reckon the fans and rad would still be in the way?

Guest rene

you can remove the bumper with the hood closed , the bolts on the side are easy to reach and the two bolts in front you can reach trou the headlight holes when you take the other one out , don't know if you can move your radiator as you have an mi 16 , is your radiator mounted as standard ?

Guest seb
you can remove the bumper with the hood closed , the bolts on the side are easy to reach and the two bolts in front you can reach trou the headlight holes when you take the other one out , don't know if you can move your radiator as you have an mi 16 , is your radiator mounted as standard ?

Yeah I think so, apart from the addition of some 7mm spacers between the rad and slam panel. Oh, no, that's the fan shroud I'm thinking of. Not sure how the rad is mounted - I did notice that it's ziptied to the fan shroud in at least one place I think :D

Guest rene

if mounted as standard , maybe you can push the radiator upwards against the spring pressiure and try and get the pins at the bottom out of there holes , then you maybe can move it abit downwards and reach the lock throu the headlight hole ore something ?

les3002

id rip the grill off you can always drill a small hole through the cowling to poke a screwdriver in

C_W

Yes, removing the grill is he way to go; I managed to remove my grill without damagegin it by using a small 1/4 drive ratchet on a universal joint for the bolts and it just had enough room to slide up and out of the bottom slots. It's very tighten though and you have to bend the grill a bit. Then you can just slide a screwdriver under the slam panel.

Wiggs

I've not got the manual in front of me, but doesn't the Haynes manual tell you where to drill the grill and insert a screwdriver to release the bonnet, in the event of a cable snapping? I have read this in the 309 Haynes manual, but same procedure may apply.

Guest seb
I've not got the manual in front of me, but doesn't the Haynes manual tell you where to drill the grill and insert a screwdriver to release the bonnet, in the event of a cable snapping? I have read this in the 309 Haynes manual, but same procedure may apply.

Cunning! I've got the old-style haynes in front of me, but cant find the bit you mention. Could someone elaborate? :D

Wiggs

It's in the Haynes 309 manual 1986-1993 (revisions section), not sure if it's of much use, but here it is;

bonnet.jpg

Guest seb

Cheers Wiggs, I'll have a look at someone elses car before I do it :D

Guest seb

Well, grille removed in anger :)

I can see the latch now, but being at work only have a screwdriver which isn't doing the job. From what I've been told I need to pull the bit to the right of the lock towards me (looking from the front of the car obviosuly) and I can only push with a screwdriver :o

Guest seb

Sorted it this morning, a bike spoke bent in two and a pair of molegrips. I think I looked quite comical falling backwards in the street when it popped :)

Sign in to follow this