• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest kings205gti

Oil Pressure Gauge

Guest kings205gti

What does the oil pressure gauge indicate, cos yesterday mine was almost in the red zone which alarmed me, what could cause this, i was also in traffic - stopping and starting.

RichF

Your oil has got hotter (and therefore 'thinner') than usual, and therefore the pressure will be lower.

I take it that it was only that low at idle ?

Edited by RichF

Guest kings205gti

well the traffic queue is right outside of my house so i was stopping and starting till i got back in and my car idles from 1000 - 1200

Edited by kings205gti

RichF

Sounds fine, as long as it didn't go into the red and it rose when you raised the revs B)

Edited by RichF

Guest 2wdcossie

dont rule out the infamous brown multi-plug under the inlet manifold next to oil filler, i had a dodgy connection on mine and it read 1/4 of a gauge under what it normally does, i fiddled with plug and it went back to normal again

mine read just over 3/4 gauge at idle from cold, just under 1/2 when hot (and by hot i mean 2 bars on the oil temp gauge), idle speed is 1000 on clock, oil is very prob wrong for car but its old cossie engine left overs (catstrol rs 10w60)

not bad for 137k i didnt think

thoughts anyone?

Guest kings205gti

Regarding this topic is it advised that i should have an oil and filter change then as the old oil maybe causing this high reading/

daz205

sound right for me just over 3/4 when cold on or just under 1st bar when hot

TB_205GTI

I had the same problems, changed the sender unit, this solved the problem. Now idle (900rpm) pressure is just above 2Bar, @ 3500rpm it's just above 4Bar.

Guest kings205gti

the reading literally goes right down as soon as i move off. but soon as i stop for a minute in a queue once car has warmed up, the reading goes back up.

Guest kings205gti

Also the car has started to idle at just under 2000rpm, this is when i have travelled a far distance. Why? is this a problem?

TB_205GTI
the reading literally goes right down as soon as i move off. but soon as i stop for a minute in a queue once car has warmed up, the reading goes back up.

If the reading is lower once you have revs on the engine, you need to change the little copper gasket between the sender and the borrom end. Or you may need to change the sender.

nick

When you say it goes down when you pull off, does the needle move away from the red zone?

Nick

Guest kings205gti

Basically i noticed yesterday that reading goes 1 bar away from the red zone never in the red, but soon as i rev and move off the needle is moving back to lower reading in a bouncing motion. Stop then it starts drifting back near the red zone.

nick

That is perfectly normal. The red zone is low pressure(at tickover) when you rev the engine the pressure rises(needle goes to the right on the guage) your reading the guage the wrong way round.

Nick

Sign in to follow this