• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huxley309

Painting Mag

huxley309

ive just bought some special metal primer for non ferrous metals and a can of blackfriars dp90 paint which is heat/oil etc resistant...

will this stuff stay on the cam cover lol as the last thing i want is it to flake off....

had a generous offer for some epoxy paint should i wish for some but i didnt want to be asking too much of him

so will this stick or maybe there is a better alternative...

answers on a postcard..

p.s its the mag mi16 cover lol

chriswhiteuk

Hi

I used Hammerite metal paint straight on, and so far it's held up nicely.

Using a primer then your special paint will have no problems afaik !

Chris

huddsta

Id say Hammerite everytime, extremly good product. Not that expencive really, we do a litre tin for around £12 I think.

huxley309

i bought this stuff as its meant to be very good....goes up to 150 degs too....

the primer is meant for fussy metals hence why ive bought it....just asking as i wasnt sure

ive used smooth hammerite to good effect but thought id try something different as i found the red not as deep as id like...

cheers for the replies....you'll soon be seeing it once everythings sorted in a month or two :angry:

mrswampy

im looking at haveing mine chromed!

not sure if it will take very well though

huxley309

the thing ive heard with plating is that depending on the metal you might need several layers if differing metals so they will take to each other and stay bonded.....spraying wise i dont know...

Guest serg

my m8 tryed using the red hammarite today on his 106 cover (same i believe). Do you rub it down between each layer as my friend didnt and it looks quite bad.

chriswhiteuk

I used Hammerite Hammered Effect paint, only two layers !

I didn't rub mine down inbetween.

Don't be tempted to spray on too much, just make sure you get a good even thin coating.

If you're planning to sand down the 16v and strip bits, have some laquer handy as it goes dull very quickly.

I tried to paint mine white (the logo bits), but that failed miserably, lol, but I had an experimental cover to play with first !

Hope this helps. . .

Chris

Sign in to follow this