• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cobalt_drill_bit

Cleaning underside 205?

Cobalt_drill_bit

Dear members,

In order to inspect for rust areas on the underside of my car. I first need the clean the black smudge away. As for most things ask 10 men for advice and you'll get 11 different answers. Maybe when the topic is fashion 10 girls give you upto 21 suggestions.

Ok back to cars. Someone suggested me to clean it off with white-spirit and a microfibre towel. Because I'm a member of a DIY car repair shop I can make use of  a professional car lift to have good access to the underside. Then I talked to a guy from an auto parts store and he warned me white-spirit can deteriorate the old 205 car body. Have you done a clean of the underside with a solvent like white-spirit and what were your results. Did the debris came off easily? And did it destroy the car bottom or not? When the car is clean I'm planning to apply some rust conversion stuff and then some coating.

People are paranoid of being sued nowadays so some people a playing extra safe and suggest the least effective methods. Or was that guy realistic?

Thanks in advance your sharing your experience or knowledge.

Regards, Maarten

murtaghp

I used petrol and a dish washing brush, stinky but effective.

Once done, there was no degradation to the coating.

Beeluff

I used panel wipe and about a million cloths!!!:)