• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

sebascalderon85

205 1.9 GTI running Rough & White smoke

sebascalderon85

Hi. I've come to you guys for help. My car ( 1993 205 GTI 1.9) started perfect the other day. I went to my house for 15 minutes, then when i walked down again and fired it up, it started running rough, like if it was on three cylinders, and started blowing a lot of white smoke from the exhaust pipe, especially when i gave it some gas. The only thing I did was:

- Change the battery.

- Change the HT leads.

I suspected it might be that the leads are in the wrong order. I know Firing in this engine is 1-3-4-2. I've looked other 205 gti's and put the cables the way they have it, and it starts again, but same problem. (In other order the car doesn't start) I was wondering if anyone of you guys eventually had a problem like this and know of any solutions for this problem. 
- ¿Anyone has the order in which lead cables go into the dizzy cap? I have the orange dizzy cap.

- ¿What can be the problem? i'm really desperate right now. 

I have a Video, but can't attach it. Anyone? Thanks

jackherer

If you upload your video to Youtube you can then embed it here.

jackherer

Have you checked the coolant level? What does the coolant and oil look like?

White smoke (steam) is either moisture/condensation building up in the exhaust (unlikely in Colombia I would have thought!) or antifreeze/coolant leaking past the head gasket. The rough running and running on three cylinders are common symptoms too if the head gasket is failing.

sebascalderon85
14 minutes ago, jackherer said:

Have you checked the coolant level? What does the coolant and oil look like?

White smoke (steam) is either moisture/condensation building up in the exhaust (unlikely in Colombia I would have thought!) or antifreeze/coolant leaking past the head gasket. The rough running and running on three cylinders are common symptoms too if the head gasket is failing.

Yes. Here in Bogotá condensation is not very likely. It started just that day, it was working fine. Water (the previous Owner changed it to water about 6 years ago) i looked at it and it was fine, but i'll check it again. They told me it could be broken dizzy cap, i'm gonna check it. Nevertheless, anyone can take a picture indicating me, where does the No 1 cylinder goes into the Distributor. 

Thanks!! 

jackherer

Plain water will corrode the aluminium alloy engine block and head very rapidly, you really need proper coolant even if it is not going to freeze where you are. And I hate to say it but the head gasket wont last very long with plain water either.

There is a photo that is posted regularly showing the firing order but I can't find it, hopefully someone else will post it soon.

A dizzy cap problem might cause the rough running but it wont explain the steam.

sebascalderon85
2 minutes ago, jackherer said:

Plain water will corrode the aluminium alloy engine block and head very rapidly, you really need proper coolant even if it is not going to freeze where you are. And I hate to say it but the head gasket wont last very long with plain water either.

There is a photo that is posted regularly showing the firing order but I can't find it, hopefully someone else will post it soon.

A dizzy cap problem might cause the rough running but it wont explain the steam.

Thanks man!!!

Here, in these old cars it was common to use water. I can't change it to coolant or it will clean all the engine and give me more problems. I'll try the dizzy cap and let you know. I had one picture, but you couldn't really see well where lead goes to. I'll appreciate every post. 

jackherer

You wont cause more problems by adding proper coolant now IMO.

Drain the currently filled water out and then run a garden hose into the expansion tank while it drains straight through and leave it running until the rusty deposits stop coming out!

Then fill it with 50:50 coolant and water.

• Like 1

Telf

gotta agree with Jackherer.

Running it on plain water is completely nuts. If you ever take a head and block to bits you will see what water without additives does to the block- not pretty.

pug_ham

post-71-1209852729_thumb.jpg

The picture above shows an Mi16 but the leads positions on the cap and plugs are the same.

g

• Thanks 1

dcc

Wheeler dealers sorted this by tightening the gear linkage

• Haha 4