• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Davidsw

Wiring thought I was done

Davidsw

The car has been fully restored and I thought tested . Oh well 

ok fuse 2 , 30 amp blew on way to mot . It made it through but I noticed the brake light stopped working on the way back . I replaced fuse 2 , 3 times . I noticed the wires going to the brake pedal had got hot . But the cause unknown . Well after taking dash out pulling fuse box apart and back lights I noticed the the earth to the rear light cluster had also got hot but it looked like it had done this over a period of time . This is the earth wire in the earth block on the inside behind the light . I pulled this earth off and the brake lights started working after I replaced the wires to the pedal . I’ve had the car on test and no failure but I can see with a voltmeter that the earth wire has 12v on it when I press the brake pedal . If I leave the earth wire disconnected all is good . 

I would like to find the cause of this . 

Any ideas 

thanks 

jackherer

I'm not sure what your fault is but I think fuse 2 should be a 25A not a 30A which might explain why your wiring has melted before the fuse has blown.

Davidsw

Ok thanks for that I’ll down grade . Funney thing is I ordered a replacement look from Peugeot spares off eBay . That loom is also burnt on the same earth . 

toolie72

Not sure I’m following what you mean

But 12 volt going to earth is just the circuit closing ie when the switch has made contact which in a dc circuit is correct ,+ goes to light goes to -,if it didn’t go to negative then light wouldn’t come on

or is that not what you’re saying?

Andy

Hmm. 12v actually at the earth wire is a problem. The 12v should be dropped across the device being activated, (buib etc) . The earth is there to complete  the path back to the battery and should be at virtually zero potential . If not, then the live feed must be bypassing the device being operated, hence the high current in the wire and consequent fuse blowing/ wire overheating ( although the latter  should not happen if the former is the correct rating ) as Jackherer said

Tom Fenton

Sounds to me like you have plugged the flying 12v that exists at the rear of the car into the earth block.  A photo would help but the wire is not used on most 205's

Andy

Agreed. You have grounded at 12v supply. Hence the melting !

Davidsw

Hi 

yes I believe I grounded the feed for the towing hook during the restoration . I’ve since replaced the fuse box just because I wanted to get to know how it all hangs . I’ve tested the car now for half an hour with the brake lights on and everything else . Every thing works now 

ive rapped the damage in heat shrink and replace the two wires going to the brake pedal . 

Thanks People 

ive actually got a spare wiring loom from the engine back it’s very good for reverse engineering . 

Edited by Davidsw
  • Thanks 1

johnyma22

Thanks for this thread, it pointed me in the right direction to solve my problem :)