• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Unimexsol

How Much Is It Worth?

Unimexsol

Hi folks,

​

​I'm thinking about selling my G reg 1.9GTi. It's in pretty decent nick but could do with a complete respray (it's a bit more orange than the Cherry Red that it was when new). 103k on the clock. Could do with some bits and pieces doing, it's missing the gear knob (someone broke into it and that's all they stole!) Drivers side lock doesn't work, nor does the central locking (see previous comment re gear knob for reasons why), The sunroof doesn't leak but it's not been opened in years so don't know how well it works, and it's missing the plastic bit that goes over the runners. One of the 1.9 badges is missing. One of the plastic bits over the rear arch is lose. Apart from that it's pretty sound. Seats are a little worn but all in one piece, not sagging. Year's mot. Mechanically it's all good. I've got MOT's going back about 15 years, plus receipts for general works I've had done, new shocks, new clutch etc etc. At some point in the past I think it was involved in an accident but I've owned it since 2001 and it's been good as gold.
​

​Any idea of what sort of figure I should be looking for?

​Where's the best place to sell it? Classic Car mags? Practical Classics? On here? Ebay?

​Oh and it's all original - no horrible hacking about by bodgers.

​All info greatly appreciated.

Any idea about what sort

Unimexsol

Anyone?

Kambo

Have you seen a similar one for sale? Ok it won't be exactly the same but theres good ones and bad ones out there so it will give you an idea on the sites above

barneys66

Have you thought about having the paint mopped - it won't look as good as new but the originality will shine through (I'm assuming all original panels).

Then the list of things you say need doing seem relatively easy, so I'd be tempted to sort them too - perhaps then it'll go from a £1,500 car to a £3k car..?

The accident issue will affect any value, depending on how obvious it is and if it's recorded. Number of owners too.

Place a classified ad n eBay for what you want for it and prepare to ignore the idiots.

• Like 1

dcc

Respray is 3k

Sunroof shell

Bits missing or loose

Tatty interior

Probably needs a beam

Previously crashed

If i were buying it I wouldnt pay over 1k, and tbh I'd be pushing the value of it at that. Its going to need £5-7k spending to make it worthwhile, and then you question is it really worth the money

TAG

I would of thought that eBay would be the best place to sell nowadays in terms of audience size.

What does everyone else think?

• Like 1

speno

I will give you 1200 for it

speno

I would of thought that eBay would be the best place to sell nowadays in terms of audience size.

What does everyone else think?

This .. just be prepared for the messers

ATK

Pictures needed!

Any rust?

Kambo

With all the recent media regarding 205's they are going up in value so as above eBay is full of lurkers looking to get there hands on one

Re the accident - as long as its not Categorised and not plainly obvious its fine, you have noticed it though so what makes you think it has been involved?

The repairs are not too bad really, for someone its kids stuff, others might want to drive it away faultless, either way people are looking at them so test the water

Oh and some potential owners will search on forums for info on newly listed cars so if your reading this chances are they will soon might be so mention in the ad what you mention here (not teaching you to suck eggs here, just a friendly heads up) :)

Unimexsol

Thanks folks. Interesting. Being honest, those values are a lot less than I was thinking. I turned £2.5k down for it last year. I'll pop it on ebay and see where it ends up.

Leslie green

Mot'ed running 1.9 gti is worth a LOT more than 1200 quid nowadays ,those days are gone ,I suspect with no pictures people are assuming the worst but relatively low mileage plus long term ownership means it has good good potential for someone looking to do one up and most cars that age have had some damage/repairs in the past. Id buy a gearknob and fit it though as that makes you look like a right cheapskate if you are driving without one for years !!!

Ebay has a wide audience and unfortunately a huge amount of people who will bid with no intention of paying if they win but given the 205 gti is in demand now ,I suspect there will be a fair few genuine buyers looking for one as well but you may need to relist to get it sold.

Edited by Leslie green

Kambo

I'd be asking 2-3k easy, mine didn't have a MOT, had to trailer it back, little bits similar to yours but mine is a 1.6 with a 1.9 lump in but still running 1.6 running gear, more miles than yours as well

But mine is white though, so probably where the extra asking price came into it ^_^