• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Carrot_heed

Tu5J4 Conversion

Carrot_heed

Hi guys

First main post up on here. So thanks for the add.

Ive a 1360 TU engined XR, which Im now on the way to putting a TU5J4 (106 GTi/Saxo Vts) engine into.

Im aware that the top mount needs modified, the top rad hose needs making up and also the exhaust modified to suit the bend for going over the steering rack.

However Ive a few more things Im not 100% about.

Im wanting to splice the two looms together, using the single plug TU5 ecu and loom mating that into the existing 205 loom. Has this been done before? And is it relatively straight forward?

Fueling the injection setup. Im keeping the standard injection off the engine, so will I need to run a live feed off the ecu for a high pressure fuel pump? And is the pressure 2-2.5 bar?

If there is anything else I may have missed please let me know, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

pugdamo

I wired up a conversion for my mate a while ago, his was a 1.1,we fitted the 205 GTI tank and as for the wiring I joined both looms, That was a single plug set up aswell, I did away with the plug in the engine bay altogether and just hard wired it as he thought it was a lot neater that way and to be honest it does look better. As for the fuel pump feed that comes from the double relay, we just ran a fused wire back to the tank. The rev counter we made a tacho adapter with some resistors and diodes from maplin (that's explained on the forum if you didn't already know). We used an oil T piece adapter to get the oil pressure gauge working. Don't forget you will need to get the immobiliser removed.

The hardest bit we found was trying to get the ecu mounted somewhere neatly. All in all a pretty easy swap and his is pretty lively.

A1AXX

If you have a multiplug connector from the engine loom its nice to use that as a bulkhead connector. Ive done a few TU5j4 and XU10j4rs conversions. Either way, just splice to the fuse board on the 205.

Hopefully you have a fuel injected tu anyway? So you would already have a fuel injection tank and the correct fuse board. Use a 1.9 gti pump if its bigger, I did on my conversions.

Splicing to the fuse board is the best way, no direct feeds or bypassing relays, just works as they should.

Carrot_heed
On 07/11/2017 at 10:35 AM, A1AXX said:

If you have a multiplug connector from the engine loom its nice to use that as a bulkhead connector. Ive done a few TU5j4 and XU10j4rs conversions. Either way, just splice to the fuse board on the 205.

Hopefully you have a fuel injected tu anyway? So you would already have a fuel injection tank and the correct fuse board. Use a 1.9 gti pump if its bigger, I did on my conversions.

Splicing to the fuse board is the best way, no direct feeds or bypassing relays, just works as they should.

It’s a base model non injection, also the wiring loom for the engine is integrated in with the main engine bay loom.. so can see it being a bit tricky.

Carrot_heed
On 05/11/2017 at 8:57 AM, pugdamo said:

I wired up a conversion for my mate a while ago, his was a 1.1,we fitted the 205 GTI tank and as for the wiring I joined both looms, That was a single plug set up aswell, I did away with the plug in the engine bay altogether and just hard wired it as he thought it was a lot neater that way and to be honest it does look better. As for the fuel pump feed that comes from the double relay, we just ran a fused wire back to the tank. The rev counter we made a tacho adapter with some resistors and diodes from maplin (that's explained on the forum if you didn't already know). We used an oil T piece adapter to get the oil pressure gauge working. Don't forget you will need to get the immobiliser removed.

The hardest bit we found was trying to get the ecu mounted somewhere neatly. All in all a pretty easy swap and his is pretty lively.

I’m still unsure on how to splice the looms.. and what to do sensor wise, any help with this would be great.

welshpug

depends if you are aiming to change the dashboard to a gti type or not.

as it is, use the coil live to switch the double relay, add a wire in for the fuel pump feed, join all the sensor and starter solenoid wiring.

if you convert it to a complete gti loom and dash its a little easier.

pugdamo

What he said lol. I kept the original loom, and as welshpug said used the coil live to power the double relay. 

Edited by pugdamo

Carrot_heed

What exactly do you mean by the double relay? On my loom I have two loose wires, right next to a big detachable plug (relay) one red and one white. Is that what you mean?

Then after I’ve done that and ran a live feed for the fuel pump it’s just a matter of the starter wiring and alternator to make it run? The rest are just sensors for the dash? 

Sorry wiring really isn’t my forte.. as I’m sure you’ve noticed!

Anthony

The "double relay" is two relays contained within a single 15 pin relay box, a variant of which is used on most mid-90's onwards PSA stuff.

s-l300.jpg

Looks something like that, either brown or black in colour.

welshpug

yes there should be something like that close to the ecu, then the other end of the loom will have one or two large round plugs.

And

Ryan if you have the full loom for the 106 the relay powers the fuel pump,, also note the inersa switch cuts out the relay on these also so coil, injector live, pump and a ecu feed. 

Edited by And

Paulgiblin

Hi guys mine is all all wired and running. However I went to put subrame back up and bottom fork mount seems wrong. It won't fit and my headers and atty hit the rad

Paulgiblin

20180210_133130_001.jpg

Paulgiblin

20180210_133120.jpg

welshpug

is that the original TU fork or the XU one?   XU is longer iirc.

Paulgiblin
On 2/10/2018 at 5:16 PM, welshpug said:

is that the original TU fork or the XU one?   XU is longer iirc.

All sorted now. Had vtr atty bracket on so stuck my atty out further so put vts one on and I had to modify my headers. Welsh pug I have a rev counter from a rallye. Can I convert this to use?