• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dannydub

Sad Help

dannydub

Evening all,

I currently have my 205 in the workshop at work and have spent a couple of lunch times removing the breather hoses as I have an idle issue.

The idle issue Im having is every time I pull up to a junction and dip the clutch to come to a stop the engine just cuts out. This happens when the engine is warm.

A couple of the breather hoses require replacement as 1 has collapsed and the other has a hole in it.

As Ive removed a fair few pipes I decided to remove the SAD too to check it. It seems the common issue people have with these is starting the car cold and the car struggles to start. Mines the other way, the car will start and idle on cold start but as soon as it gets warm it struggles to idle unless you wind the throttle body screw in or out to increase the Revs but this still doesnt cure the dipping the clutch.

When looking at the SAD off the car I can see a small gap in the sliding disc and the disc does move with a screw driver. How long do I need to connect a battery to it for, to see if the disc moves or not? I did connect it to a battery today but only for a minute or so and nothing happened

Any help is really appreciated

Tom Fenton

Look to reset the throttle disc closed position. The stop wears out meaning the disc sits too far closed. This is the cause of the idle not "catching" itself on a sudden closed throttle/dipped clutch. The butterfly should not completely close. Once you have done that, then reset the position switch. All described in the Haynes book.

dannydub

Look to reset the throttle disc closed position. The stop wears out meaning the disc sits too far closed. This is the cause of the idle not "catching" itself on a sudden closed throttle/dipped clutch. The butterfly should not completely close. Once you have done that, then reset the position switch. All described in the Haynes book.

The butterfly on the throttle body I assume??

Terry1600

i adjusted my throttle stop a few turns to keep it open slightly and adjusted the tps sensor afterwards to click as soon as the throttle was moved open, my idle struggle stopped straight away and dropped fast right down to the target idle without dropping to that low spot where it struggles to get back up.

when warmed up my idle was then too high to keep it as it is, i haven't figured that part out yet!

dannydub

i adjusted my throttle stop a few turns to keep it open slightly and adjusted the tps sensor afterwards to click as soon as the throttle was moved open, my idle struggle stopped straight away and dropped fast right down to the target idle without dropping to that low spot where it struggles to get back up.

when warmed up my idle was then too high to keep it as it is, i haven't figured that part out yet!

How did you adjust the throttle stop and the TPS?

Cheers

Terry1600

theres a small screw poking out of the throttle body where the actual throttle lever turns and stops against, start the car and turn that untill its got a smooth idle and then turn it off, loosen the tps sensor on the front of the throttle body and turn it untill you hear a click as soon as you move the throttle manually, then tighten it up at that point, start the car up and then adjust the idle using the brass screw untill it dosent bog down when giving it a few revs

dannydub

Thanks for the info mate! Ill give it a go