• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ilovemypug

Tu 1.1 Bottom End With Tu3S Head And Carb

ilovemypug

As mentioned in the title, has anyone done this and if so any good? Have to keep the cc in the engine stock but want some more umpff.

Also thinking of going bike carb direction? Have to keep it all as low profile as possible and all mechanical, no electronics envolved ie itbs etc.

Any ideas, suggestions welcome.

Im about to resurrect an XR that needs some TLC as it has been parked for 5 years.

dawning

Heads are the same just the cam is different in the tu3s and the carb.

calvinhorse

Heads are the same just the cam is different in the tu3s and the carb.

I thought the ports were bigger

I'm sure the inlet Valves are bigger on the tu3s

Possibly different cc combustion chamber too

ilovemypug

See if Sandy comes along and shines us with his wisdom =)

ilovemypug

Bump

RossD

Very subtle differences on the TU3S ports compared to the more normal TU1 and TU3 heads. Cam is different, valve sizes are the same. Combustion chamber the same, hence compression is the same.

Identifiable from the '3S' cast into the top of the head itself.

Edited by RossD
  • Like 1

calvinhorse

The inlet ports are a good 5-6mm bigger on the xs compared to the 1.1 I had a look yesterday, exhausts look very similar.

Does anybody know how to identify the xs cam? I've got what I believe is a 1.4 tu3 and a 1.4 tu3s cam

One is stamper 'A' the other stamped 'R'?

Anthony

I've got a TU3S cam in the garage so I can check later this week if you don't find an answer in the meantime

calvinhorse

That would be ace Anthony, the stamp is on the fuel pump end, easy to spot

Anthony

Sorry for the delay, but having finally had chance to dig it out and check, my TU3S cam is stamped "R" :)

calvinhorse

Brilliant, thanks Anthony much appreciated

ilovemypug

thank you!

ilovemypug

would there be any point in skipping the tu3s head and put euro rallye head? im in portugal from time to time they show up- Or a tu3j head off a 106 rallye? can get one for 60€

ilovemypug

right now there is a complete head (head, camshaft, rockers) for 250€

and a 106 rallye head for 60€

RossD

The TU heads with the 39mm inlet valves (So 106 Rallye, 205 euro rallye etc) have a bigger combustion chamber. Fitting one of these to your engine would see the compression ratio drop, impacting the output and driveability. 

ilovemypug
3 hours ago, RossD said:

The TU heads with the 39mm inlet valves (So 106 Rallye, 205 euro rallye etc) have a bigger combustion chamber. Fitting one of these to your engine would see the compression ratio drop, impacting the output and driveability. 

Yes Im aware of this. Would have to skim the head. And then there is the fact that the rallye tu2j and tu5j cams have bigger bearings and no fuel actuator lobe... Just found on today for 30 euro.. 

trogboy
On 11/15/2017 at 9:03 PM, ilovemypug said:

would there be any point in skipping the tu3s head and put euro rallye head? im in portugal from time to time they show up- Or a tu3j head off a 106 rallye? can get one for 60€

I did this, using a TU24 head, cam and carbs from a euro rallye on the TU3S bottom end.  To keep the compression ratio up I had the head machined down by 1.200 mm.  Thick enough to do this, but it prevents it going back on to a euro rallye in the future.    That engine was living on in Wallby's car last I knew.

TU24 cam has the lobe for the fuel pump obviously

• Thanks 1

Wallby
1 hour ago, trogboy said:

I did this, using a TU24 head, cam and carbs from a euro rallye on the TU3S bottom end.  To keep the compression ratio up I had the head machined down by 1.200 mm.  Thick enough to do this, but it prevents it going back on to a euro rallye in the future.    That engine was living on in Wallby's car last I knew.

TU24 cam has the lobe for the fuel pump obviously

It still is! I am also using a low pressure facet fuel pump with mine so you could always get a cam without the lobe for the fuel pump instead.

• Like 1

cybernck

Ah, my old TU24 head and carbs - glad to hear they're still running strong! B)

• Like 2

calvinhorse

Just to save starting a new thread..

does anyone lnow if the 106/Saxo 1.4 block and pistons are similar/same as the 205xs?

im thinking of putting my 1.1 head onto one

trogboy

I looked at this before I found a crate K2A engine and IIRC the ally versions are basically the same.  Iron also but heavier, just like in the 205.

• Like 1

calvinhorse

Brilliant, think I’ll take a small gamble and get one bought 

And

The later injection ones are basically the same but rods and Pistons do vary as the compression ratio was a little bit higher as the Pistons had a sight dome or the crown was higher than the carb ones, also the rods were thinner but the same length. Think the rods was more in the łater 5 stud heads with the remote oil filters tho.

Edited by And
  • Like 1

calvinhorse

Cheers And 

ilovemypug

So it would be better to get a skimmed 106 Rallye/xsi head? And a better carb?