• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz205

Ebay Stolen Gti's For Sale

Gaz205

Just thought I'd share a little knowledge as a warning, 2 people near to me (Derbyshire) have innocently purchased a 205 Gti and a 106 gti totally separately to each other and from different sellers but both from southern England.

They were both stolen and fetched top money.

They were both delivered free of charge in the deal on a transporter.

Just a heads up for buyers and a reminder to check vins and hpi the dam thing!

Leslie green

I guess they lost all their money then ?

ciarandeery1

£2.99 Iphone car check on reg. if people dont have the sense to do that then I just dont know what to say

Gaz205

I guess they lost all their money then ?

Yep ????

GLPoomobile

Hang on, how were these deals completed? Title says "eBay" and since transporter delivery is also mentioned you'd presume they might have paid by Paypal. Or if the deal is completed outside of eBay and not using Paypal then the next best thing would be using credit card. If they paid cash or using bank transfer (not sure how much protection there is with the latter), then..............well the politest way I can put it is that they clearly aren't risk averse, are they?

If it was a properly completed eBay transaction then I'd like to know why eBay haven't done anything to protect them. I know eBay are s*ite with this sort of thing, but if it's proven that a user is using the service to complete the sale of high value stolen items then you'd think they do something.

tartanbloke

As is always in these cases, the transaction is outside of Ebay on the promise of free delivery and a better deal as the fees will not be taken away from them etc etc, which is how stolen vehicles are sold through this process and is well documented (if they bothered to check).

In short, if they are prepared to hand over thousands of pounds without undertaking the basic checks or even going to view the car, then I have to admit that my sympathy and empathy in this situation is non existent.

Leslie green

Ebay are usually very good if you pay with paypal you are protected but I suspect most car deals are not paid with paypal due to the high fees incurred by the seller .Usually you can spot a fake ad a mile of as they are far too cheap and its email the seller only and if they had the money why even bother to deliver the cars just pocket the cash and disappear .

Edited by Leslie green

Anthony

eBay and Paypal protection doesn't cover vehicle sales, so there's no comeback there.

Obviously the devil is in the detail as to how unlucky or foolish the buyers were, but as always, it's buyer beware whenever purchasing any car, particularly private sale where you've next to no comeback. There were plenty of dubious 205's around years ago when they were worthless, and I suspect as they become ever-more valuable, there will be added incentive for people to pass off cars as bent as a nine-bob note.

Gaz205

Cash on delivery unfortunately...there is an investigation ongoing with them, but for a few grand in the back pocket I'm pretty sure any of us could set up a fake eBay account couldn't we?

Edited by Gaz205

GLPoomobile

So it's a case of a "a fool and his money are easily parted"?

• Like 1

toolie72

In the defence of the innocents-I’m sure some of these fraudsters can be really plausible

Car salesmen will sell their granny to get a sale, so what will a bent salesman/crook do?

But in my case-I can’t see why you wouldn’t see the car first/hpi it

If they won’t give you reg number (some ads have them covered) then at the very least it’s gonna have bad mot history, cat d etc

Peoples ideas of good condition are also vastly different

Maybe I just don’t have enough money to throw about on eBay