• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mmt

Steering Rack Service

mmt

I have my steering rack off the car. Is there any way to service it with oil/grease it is a non PAS unit.

Thought it would be an easier job now it is off the car.

Thanks.

Tom Fenton

Yes you can strip it and re grease.

However the best thing you can do is throw it in the bin and fit something with a faster ratio. The standard rack at 3.9 turns lock to lock is awful.

mmt

Thanks Tom. How do I re-grease it? There is some kind of s lid with two bolts in it is that Where the new grease goes in?

I am ok with How it turns. :-)

Miles

I'd strip it down, replace the Nylon bush & Seals, Arms and Boots and grease when re-building

Juttie205

You can change the bearing but its not straight forward sadly.

Alan_M

Thanks Tom. How do I re-grease it? There is some kind of s lid with two bolts in it is that Where the new grease goes in?

I am ok with How it turns. :-)

Be careful taking that 'lid' off. There is a spring behind it that can ping off.

Probably the easiest thing to do is peel back the gaitors and bung some grease in, working the rack full lock each direction.

mmt

Thanks for the warning. What Does the spring do? Already took the lid off. I guess it should be clean behind the lid. Thought that grease went in there!?

hoodygoodwood

There is only a bush at one end of the rack , at the other end the spring pushes the rack ( via a nylon bush ) onto the pinion gear . Not sure what type of grease to recommend - too thick and it just pushes off the mating parts - too thin and it will just drip off .

Any recommendations for grade of grease as I will be rebuilding a PAS rack myself soon ?

Edited by hoodygoodwood

jackherer

VW supply a specific grease for steering racks, you can get it on ebay and presumably from VAG dealers.

Miles

Non PAS bush is a piece of cake to change

DamirGTI

MoS grease is what i found recommend for steering racks in OE service manual for Citroën's (zx , bx ,xm , xantia , xsara etc. ) so same as Peugeot .

D