• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ams

Troublesome Speedo

Ams

Hello,

I've recently replaced the VSS (S16 version) and changed the speedo cable (1200mm) and the speedo worked for about 7 miles. I was on the motorway doing 60mph and I heard a faint elongated squeal/whistle for several second, I thought it was air coming in via a small gap in my window. As soon as the sound stopped the speedo stopped functioning.

I spoke to the garage and the chap that fitted it (along with other work) said that there was some kind of damage to the red cog. He added that he thought it should've still worked but oh well.

I'm unsure what the correct part number is for the red cog. I've searched and 2649 11 (17 DTS/teeth) crops up but there are two others with 20 and 21 teeth. For clarity the vehicle is a 1.6 GTI with an XU10 and Xsara VTS BE3. I don't know if the red 17 DTS for a 205 matches the VTS main cog. Can anyone advise? I'd like to buy the correct part asap.

post-23625-0-63618900-1502285046_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Ams

j_turnell

I think its 1. White cog 19dts and 2. Red cog 17dts.

• Like 1

welshpug

and you need to match the big cog as well, white for a 205 gti which is 19 tooth, not 22 tooth black that the xsara had

• Like 1

Ryan

What wheels are you using? The different gears are to correct for different wheel and tyre sizes, not which engine or gearbox.

Ams

Cheers for the advice chaps. I have 15x6 wheels fitted so it should be fine. I think I should call back and ask what colour the large cog is because if its a black 22 tooth then I should replace it with a white 19 tooth cog to match the replacement 17 small red cog. Hopefully it's the white one because I had the driveshaft replaced, it'll be a pain to have to take it out again to fit a big cog.