• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz205

Easiest Replacement Exhaust

Gaz205

Having learnt today how much of an arse it is to change the standard 3 piece system to achieve a better looking back box (magnex). I just wondered if anyone has an experience of an easy swap back box only. I want to achieve a better look mainly and a subtle burble would be nice too.

Anthony

If it was Magnex in particular that you were after than they used to do a backbox that attached directly to a Ph2 exhaust front section. Long since unavailable new, but might be able to find one 2nd hand.

No doubt similar available from other manufacturers too, but again, lively all discontinued now.

Gaz205

I have been shown a magnex back box and centre pipe but it will involve cutting my down pipe and wanted to avoid that.

But you've answered my question... If I can't find it on eBay just for The back box then it prob won't happen! Cheers

welshpug

best bet is a custom fabricated unit onto a phase2 system, very straightforward to fit the front 2/3rds being one piece and they have an olive type joint so the length is fixed.

Gaz205

best bet is a custom fabricated unit onto a phase2 system, very straightforward to fit the front 2/3rds being one piece and they have an olive type joint so the length is fixed.

I've a 3 piece section now unfortunately. It was the taking off of the whole system I was trying to avoid. Inevitably it's looking like it would have to happen to achieve what I wanted. I never knew that you couldn't just buy and off the shelf back box for these things and just fit it in without any hassle.

Thanks for the suggestions

welshpug

you can, if its a standard box you want.

Gaz205

you can, if its a standard box you want.

It wasn't, I was after a larger bore more appealing looking and sweeter sounding box. I know there's naff all performance advantages, purely aesthetic.

I'll get a quote for taking my whole system off and refitting the 2 piece magnex I can get to my down pipe. It'll involve cutting which not many places are interested in nowadays as its too much like dirty work and wasting precious ramp space.

Simes

Since 2000 I've had a standard system with The magnex tailpipe.

A full magnex system.

A maniflow 4-2-1 with the remains of my 2 bits of magnex.

The maniflow mated to a standard bosal system.

Best sound full magnex, with minor gains.

Most annoying was tailpipe only followed by 4-2-1 and magnex.

Easiest to live with the final one, since 2009!

I had to get my local exhaust place to make up a joining piece for manifold to mid section, also had a lambda boss welded in. Took an hour and cost me about £70.

Moral of the story; Don't discount the standard system!

Gaz205

You've really done it all! I know the standard system (oem) gives best performance it just looks dam stupid!

I'm gonna see who can and for how much offer me the best solution to incorporate a back box at least and take it from there.

For now I have a joke chrome tip to laugh at when / if I fit it !????