• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Justin181

Best Kind Of Paint For Engine?

Justin181

What is the best paint i should use for painting the rocker cover, inlet etc???

Thanks justin

welshpug

aluminium block?

nothing, vapour blasting will probably give best results, they are bare aluminium if you want an original finish.

as you say rockers is it a TU? then it has a steel cover any paint resistant to oil/fuel will do, or finish off with a clear coat which is.

XU hasn't any rockers, and an aluminium cover, many people polish these, otherwise much like an aluminium cover give it a key with something like scotchbrite, degrease then prime and paint.

• Like 1

ALEX

Another for Vapour. I was told by the blasters to keep spraying it with WD40 every so often.

Tried painting an engine a few times. always ends up looking worse than original 20 year old grime after 2 years.

For steel components there's always powder coating as an option. Make sure to ask them not do the inside face of the rocker cover though ;).

<----Mines just polished, though been sat in the garage it has started to dull again :(

Edited by ALEX

Justin181

Alex what have you painted your inlet with?

Justin181

And welshpug.. rocker cover is just a name that mechanics use.. it doesnt mean the car has rockers ????

welshpug

I'm a mechanic and I don't call it a rocker cover unless it has rockers :P

Putte205

I had my cam cover powder coated with wrinkle finish paint, as per original

Telf

Id say Vapour clean it as well and don't paint.

Justin181

Its just a term used welshy lmao

opticaltrigger

Hi there,

We've powder coated almost everything on the project car engine.

It wasn't any great ordeal and the result is a good finish.I was impressed anyway,and it's super easy to wipe clean.

All the best

O.T.

0111.jpg

0061.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

hoodygoodwood

I have used Simoniz silver engine enamel ( aluminium ) on lots of cam covers , inlet manifolds and engine mounts , the finish is quite good and not too bright a silver - its about £7 a rattle can . Like all painting its about the prep , I would use fine wire brushes on a electric drill to get the dirt and scale off then 1200 grit wet and dry to finish , clean it with thinners till the cloth comes back clean then put several coats on letting it dry inbetween .

For an engine block I would use a proper engine block/brake caliper paint from a tin applied by brush , at least 2 coats .The prep on the block took me at least 8 hours with a cordless drill , if you don't get it back to shiny ali the paint will just fall off .

You can file off any ugly burrs or sharp edges before you paint the parts .Once dry clean any paint out of bolt holes with a tap .

ALEX

Inlet manifold on mine was vapour blasted same as engine block.

If you do go down this route make sure you remove all core plugs when it comes back. Youd be surprised how much glass beads / fine grit gets in the oilways even when you make every effort to bung up all the holes.

I Pressure washed it for ages when it came back to make sure it was grit free.