• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Leslie green

Barn Find Laser Green 1.9 Gti.

Telf

I left my endine and gearbox unpainted. The vapour blasting seems to have worked they still look good 4 years later. Shame I'm now about to send it back into a workshop again for various paint jobs. I guess time and weather really aren't friends to old cars. 

Leslie green

I'm surprised it hasn't gone all furry with corrosion Paul , I certainly wouldn't drive mine once salt is on the roads under any circumstances , it just destroys old cars . Blaster still hasn't blasted my box yet as his compressor is broke and he had lots of other jobs on  but says I should have it back before year end , no further with anything as had a few painting jobs to sort in the house which are now mostly complete. I will struggle to put the box back together now as too much time has passed :lol: plus its damn cold in the shed now .

Telf

It's not gone furry at all just dulled a bit. The vapour blast guy said it wouldn't andni didn't believe him but 4 years later it still is pretty clean. I'll get a pic to show you. 

I'm intending to strip the engine out in the summer and do a mini few 1000 quid tidy up so it should be back to sparkling again. Maybe

Leslie green
Posted (edited)

Nice Paul and  that should help me with hose and wiring routing when time comes , few grand you say its easy to sink money in a project isn't it :o I need to get a move on soon , gearbox casing is back now 

Edited by Leslie green

Leslie green
Posted (edited)

I stripped the gearbox and it was away several months before getting vapour blasted so I had forgot how to put it back together last week, I had most of it assembled them realised the little short selector wasn't fitted and it all had to come out again inc diff. By the time I had 5th gear on the input shaft wouldn't turn but them I saw there is a washer under the 5th gear spacer that has a stepon one side and it was upside down clamping the bearing cage . Turned it round and spins fine now . I am buying 2 new 5th gear locknuts as when i took it apart one was already loose and despite swapping them over then still stop in same place as before so there isn't much left to peen them over. Unfortunately it appears I have lost 6 of the gearbox casing bolts , 2 for case and 4 small diff ones (all the same ) and wherever these went I don't think they ever made it to the platers which is annoying as all other pieces were in the box I put them in .  The casing had already started to corrode again after sitting in a damp shed over winter which has spoiled it a little  and the endplate was very rusty and the plating hasn't taken well to it in places but will do for now . I found the gearbox quite a struggle to put back together even with a basic guide of the internet , I checked all the bearings and them seemed perfect as were the gears as far as I could tell. Getting the pins out of the shafts was very tricky as I couldn't find the perfect sized punch to knock them out.

53627088607_fbeb06d813_k.jpgIMG_20231010_174142 by Leslie, on Flickr

53627088602_98bf5e9dd3_k.jpgIMG_20231213_134946 by Leslie, on Flickr

53628309534_8cb8b1e0bb_k.jpgIMG_20240327_161155 by Leslie, on Flickr

Edited by Leslie green