• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Braymond

Electrical Woes - Day 2 Of Ownership

welshpug

there should only be a single black wire for those.

dobboy

As per WP ^, there should only be one black.

I might be wrong but the black wire in question looks as though it might be larger gauge than normal too.

You'll need to follow both wires and see where they go, then someone might be able to make sense of it.

Also, (someone else can clarify), but the small cup doesn't seem to be sitting correctly in your top mount, looks too high to me.

Braymond

A little summary/update...

I've done the following:

- cleaned/renewed/remade the earth connections below the headlights, by the suspension turret, on the gearbox and the one in the boot.

- replaced battery terminals

- gone through the fuse panel to check they're all ok/clean

- removed dash and cleaned up all connectors. replaced dash. removed dash to connect speedo back up.

- sworn

And still the indicators only really work when parked on the drive or ~5% of the time on the road, and still (when they do work) the fuel gauge bobs up and down to the same rhythm.

Its almost as if while the car is shaking/vibrating/yawing something breaks/prevents them working, temporarily.

There are a number of question mark wire in the engine bay, and also a gay little arial on the roof left over from an 80's exec car phone (I suspect) but beyond that I'm totally out of ideas how to locate/fix the problem. And I'm due an MOT in 15days....

Braymond

Anybody got any thoughts on the above??

If I've got a dodgy wire, rather than connection - how do I track it down??

dobboy

Does anything not work or work when you remove the wires that are earthed at the strut top?

Braymond

I can check this. What will it tell me?

Andy

A couple of thoughts. The indicators are powered by the hazard switch. Check that all the connections to said switch are sound and that the switch is working. If you unplug that switch, nothing in the indicator system will operate. Next, you are sure that the flasher relay on the fuse board is not faulty. I suppose the easy way is to swap it with a known good one, but easier said than done . You do the following. Remove the relay. Operate the indicator and check that the appropriate pin on the board comes live. The two wires that go from the relay to the hazard are M29 and 50. The third one from the relay is 51 and that goes to the instrument panel. It looks like the hazard gets the power from F2 on the board via wire 29a which also feeds the dash panel via 51. I am not sure how much of this is any help to you, but if you do not have one, the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual are a good starting point

dobboy

Does anything not work or work when you remove the wires that are earthed at the strut top?

It might narrow down what your additional wire is for, for starters.