• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rbdemen

Kilometer To Mile Speedometer Swap?

rbdemen

good morning gents. I'm currently enjoying my 1.9 GTI in Germany with it's km/h speedometer. But, I'll be taking it back with me to the US in about 6 months. Now I could leave it be as with the US 25+ year importation rule, I wouldn't have to change a thing, but it might be nice to have a speedometer that reads in miles per hour. If I swapped my km/h instrument cluster for one from the UK in mph, would it work? anyone ever done it?

jackherer

It'll work fine, the only difference is the sticker on the front with the numbers on.

The odometer will work too and will count in miles.

You don't really need to change the entire cluster, it's easy to remove just the speedo, if the rest of your cluster works perfectly I would do that rather than possibly introduce new faults.

• Like 1

rbdemen

So my 205 GTI imported from Germany is now zipping along the roads of Georgia, USA. An instrument cluster I ordered from eBay UK just arrived. I would like to swap the original german cluster in KMH with the UK cluster in MPH. Question now is how can I adjust the odometer clock to reflect the original "mileage". The car has done about 156K kilometers, which is less than 97K miles. I've searched the forum and seems like those who know how are reluctant to post the information publicly. Someone please PM me. I can post pics of the odometers in question later today when I get home from work.

camgti

Excellent! Goodnon you for taking her back home! Enjoy!!