• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ALEX

The 50 Most Popular Classic Cars – And What They’Re Worth

Gaz205

Interesting reading, but it's all la la land in reality.

ALEX

I've noticed there's a huge difference in price for 205s sold on Autotrader to the ones on ebay.

Ramigojag

As far as I can see there still going for around 6k although all these publications are good for the value.

Or bad if your trying to get your hands on one

Gman

Interesting reading, but it's all la la land in reality.

How do you mean?

Gaz205

I do not feel that the values are as high as they make out. Maybe one or two but a 1.6 worth 11k? Let's be fair, the ball park figure for a good 1.6 is around 3/4K - 8/9 at a push? It's ok predicting these values but they are only as good as the receipts they are printed on when people pay those prices in my opinion

Anthony

I do not feel that the values are as high as they make out. Maybe one or two but a 1.6 worth 11k? Let's be fair, the ball park figure for a good 1.6 is around 3/4K - 8/9 at a push? It's ok predicting these values but they are only as good as the receipts they are printed on when people pay those prices in my opinion

Remember those prices are essentially for the top condition, low mileage examples that collectors (or perhaps that should be speculators) want.

As you say, your typical example isn't worth anything like that, despite what some delusional people might otherwise think.

Telf

I'm with Anthony on this, its beyond a joke the prices I've seen GTIs selling at.

Mine is well used and Ive looked at a couple on garage forecourts going for £8000 that are in worse condition.

Its utter bollocks

Gaz205

I simply feel sorry for the person that ultimately will by 'that Miami blue one'

mrfirepro

Well I only wish the prices were true but sadly there are no where near what I see. I have a 1984 Audi Quattro UR Turbo (excellent condition) and it's worth £25K absolute tops, and that's if I found the perfect buyer, I don't know where they get the figures from but I don't see a lot of the figures being accurate against what's on line and prices at auction.

But then consider it's a list released by a company that has a vested interest.

Robin205

I have found it amazing how the bubble hasn't popped yet, I mean look at the prices of Porsches, they are stupid with dealerships offering customer who were picking up their GT4's £20k for them to sell the car back to them!

GLPoomobile

That is SO close to the reg of my first white 1.6 - F323OKV - which is now a shell awaiting some sort of restoration by one of the members on here.

GLPoomobile

Will definitely be interesting to see how much this one goes for and if it sets a new record, given the mileage and interesting history. Of course examples like this are almost irrelevant to the rest of us - la la land as said above - as this one is at the extreme end. But let's face it, if you were a minted money-no-object passionate collector, this is the sort of thing you'd be after.

They mention it still has the original dizzy cover. Well not in the photos it doesn't. Have they taken it off to preserve it just for history's sake?

Robin205

The car will probably be bought by an overseas person like other low mileage classics!

steve@cornwall

They mention it still has the original dizzy cover. Well not in the photos it doesn't. Have they taken it off to preserve it just for history's sake?

I can see it! Just not gone opaque yet

GLPoomobile

I thought the dizzy bag was supposed to be black. The one i bought from a dealer about 7 years ago was!

Leslie green

plastic dissy covers were on ebay not that long ago which is probably where that one came from ! :D

Tom Fenton

plastic dissy covers were on ebay not that long ago which is probably where that one came from ! :D

BS.

I know the guy that owns this car, he is fastidious about it and if the advert says it is the original part then it will be the original part.

• Like 1

farmer

The bags do more harm than good really

s*it bags

Leslie green

Tom I'm just saying dissy bags might be overrated, I doubt the new investor /collector /carcoon hoarder will care as it will most likely never go anywhere ! :P

This though is auction bs :

Here then is the perfect storm – a model of car that is tipped for future appreciation, in a condition which is only achievable with a fully documented low mileage, with only one real previous owner and a great story. This is the type of car that the expression best-of-breed was coined to describe.

future appreciation , only one REAL owner blah blah ...were the other owners fake ?

It wil lead to people asking 12k for white 205 gtis that just failed mot for rotten sills ,one just listed today !

Edited by Leslie green

Gaz205

BS.

I know the guy that owns this car, he is fastidious about it and if the advert says it is the original part then it will be the original part.

Must be hard for him to part with it, do you know if he is setting a reserve figure?

GLPoomobile

All this fuss over a little plastic bag.

It's just dealer hyperbole. Even more expected when it's an auction on behalf of the seller. I like the creativity shown by describing it as "only 1 real owner". God loves a tryer! (the fake owners would be Peugeot 1st and then Tom's pal the collector 3rd).

And yes, we've already seen try-hards thinking they can get premium money for average examples just because the properly collectible ones are going up in price.

speno

Im Now the proud owner of a rare 205 :)

Leslie green

Im Now the proud owner of a rare 205 :)

Are you 38 grand poorer ? :D