• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

[Body_Work] Rust Rust And More Rust!

welshpug

body panels dont wear.

so mileage is irelevant to an extent.

Telf

no panels don't wear due to mileage but they do get stone battered, car park dinked, bush and tree tickled on those tight B roads, lent on by people at car shows, damaged by shopping bags, mileage as a reflection shows useage and all the associated hazards.

Telf

Gaz,

I'm kind of in agreement with you and again toying with the thought of so what if its rippled, dinked and not perfect, I guess its at a point where I either go for a perfect finish and then get precious over driving it or just get it looking good and let it wear its battle scars with pride...

Difficult to decide

As for the budget, no idea what I owe at the moment, Its probably a couple of hundred more than was first expected.

barneys66

Paul - used wings seem to be going for around 80 each on eBay so it may be worth setting up a search and seeing if you can pick up a pair locally (James not have any..?). You can always sell them on of they're a poor fit.

Telf

Barney, Yes mate James has a pair of used ones. Hes wanting £80 each. As I say he has a pair of original unused wings as well still in their packaging.

Gaz205

The costs will spiral but maybe £160 on top of a bill that's in the thousands might actually be worth it for those wings. Mine is graphite so shows up the imperfections a lot. Yours is red so will hide a lot. Aslong as all the rust is gone and there's no major dents, you treat or replace your bumpers and plastics and rubbers you will never not be impressed. I wouldn't chase the mirror finish or you might resent the car because of the bill at the end.

Good luck and I'd say buy those wings so at least you know you don't have filler in them. ????

And remember you will still have your old wings as rare spares or with a value to sell.

Edited by Gaz205

steve@cornwall

I'd need to be pretty certain that the new wings have been stored and transported without damage before paying the extra. Before final paint a panel with many small dints can look perfect.

Gaz205

I'd need to be pretty certain that the new wings have been stored and transported without damage before paying the extra. Before final paint a panel with many small dints can look perfect.

That's the issue I had. The prep looked like every mark was taken out, with paint and polish it shows them up. Granted it's only if you get on your knees and look down the flanks

Telf

Well ive just been down the body shop- they reckon a couple of hours work to put the wings right. I'm thinking that might be acceptable.

Telf

In the spirit of still trying to save as much of the car as possible I had a go at repairing my dash today. I think its fairly common for the shroud around the heater controls to snap at the bottom. Heres my repair using some Modelling putty:

post-21474-0-16466400-1496593090_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-93438300-1496593091_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-54371100-1496593095_thumb.jpg

Telf

it seems to be strong enough - I accidently picked the dash up by the reattached portion last night and it didn't fall off!

Telf

In other news I managed to scrape together enough clips to reattach the door and arch trims. The metal clips are all the worse for wear so I set about them with a dremel to clear the surface rust. They are now sat in a tub of Bilt Hamber DeOx Gel. Hoping with 24 hours soak and a paint they might be reusable.

Telf

Well this may seem unbelievable but the car still isn't ready...

I'm a very unhappy chappy

:(

Leslie green

This type of work takes time to do right , be patient ! and don't waste your time with rusty metal clips that will rust streak your new paint they are available on ebay number 152686958160 ,they have more you would need 12 I think ,mine were just paint there was virtually no metal in them it had rusted away

Edited by Leslie green

Telf

Well the clips did come up ok. I painted them then covered each one in a layer of clear lacquer. Not sure I'll use them tbh. I think they will get replaced along with all the trim when I buy it from the pug museum

Gaz205

What's the hold up? Aslong as its being done right then the wait will be worth it. Which clips for you need? I've various left over from refitting mine and I may be able to help

Telf

the hold up is he's booked too many cars I so its sitting in a queue!

I need the metal clips for the door trim and afew of the plastic ones for the arches

Gaz205

The anti rattle clips? And the barbed retaining washers or the plastic inserts into the holes?

Gaz205

I'll have a look what I've got left

farmer

I have a few those metal clips

£2 each

Got the barbed clip as well

Telf

Craig,

I think we discussed this a while ago on messenger- if you've got enough for me to clip the trim back on I will have them off you please.

Let me know

Ta

paul

Telf

Still no more progress. 1 x triumph stag waiting to be finished.

However having had a long chat with the owner looks like its full strip and respray time.. interesting times ahoy!

• Like 1

Telf

A little progress this evening 2 doors stripped and ready to go to the sprayers for inspection. They want to replace both my doors as they are rippled!

post-21474-0-74328700-1507914276_thumb.jpg