• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

[Body_Work] Rust Rust And More Rust!

toolie72

Must admit I effing hate rust (but hey I had three talbot sunbeams-god I was good at welding then-I had to be lol)

Take solace in the fact it's not a ford

Telf

Well guys in 7 days the car is off to a local workshop for whole lot of welding.

I've loosely bolted all the parts back on and placed the dash back. Fuel tank is back in (sort of) and has a whole litre of petrol in it.

I'm going to re tax and drive the 3 miles to the workshop, take all the bits back off then let them go wild on all the rotten parts. Pics to follow!

Anthony

If it really is only a litre of fuel, you might well struggle to drive 3 miles.

welshpug

yeah, whilst they do more than 15 to the gallon, the pump wont pick it up.

Gaz205

I really hope it comes back as expected for you. I am venturing down this line in the next few months

Tom Fenton

Can you not find a local guy with a recovery wagon? Usually for a short hop you can find them a low as £30.

By the time you've accounted for the tax and other rigamarole maybe that would be a simpler option?

GLPoomobile

Agree with Tom. When I had to move mine from our old flat to our current one I had it moved for £30 on a low loader by a local 2nd hand dealer/recover place. And that was about 3 miles.

Telf

Small update,

The car is now in the workshop- infact its been there 3 weeks. It didn't actually make it there under its own steam. I put 5L into the tank and it konked out after about 3 miles.... Got towed the rest of the way.

Due to the back log at the workshop its not actually had anything done yet- its just sat there- using tax Grrrrr!

Don't say I told you so.

GLPoomobile

Can you not just sorn it then, if it might be there a while?

Tom Fenton

Can you not find a local guy with a recovery wagon? Usually for a short hop you can find them a low as £30.

By the time you've accounted for the tax and other rigamarole maybe that would be a simpler option?

Sorry!! :ph34r:

Anthony

Can you not just sorn it then, if it might be there a while?

I realise that every little helps, but assuming that the estimated time for the work being completed is a few weeks rather than a few months, is it really worth faffing around SORN'ing and then re-taxing the car for the sake of ~£20 a month?

Certainly now we're part way through the month you might as well wait three weeks and see how it's progressing before deciding what to do.

Tom Fenton

Its dead easy now, all done on line, can be done in less than a minute if you have the V5 to hand.

GLPoomobile

I realise that every little helps, but assuming that the estimated time for the work being completed is a few weeks rather than a few months, is it really worth faffing around SORN'ing and then re-taxing the car for the sake of ~£20 a month?

Certainly now we're part way through the month you might as well wait three weeks and see how it's progressing before deciding what to do.

I agree, if it WAS only going to be a few weeks. But if it's going to be longer, or he doesn't actually know how long (and it sounds like the garage are dragging their feet a bit) then it makes sense.

Its dead easy now, all done on line, can be done in less than a minute if you have the V5 to hand.

Exactly. Providing you have the docs it's a piece of piddle.

Leslie green

Its always the story when you put a car in for major work , they are too busy to start for ages ...

Telf

Well today they have finally started taking the paint off to assess the damage. think that's 5 or 6 weeks and counting!

Gaz205

Well today they have finally started taking the paint off to assess the damage. think that's 5 or 6 weeks and counting!

I can't believe how slow they are being with it unless you were told it was a slow burner job for them?

Mines been in 2 weeks and the inner wings repaired and thank god not all cut out, new headlight panels and a fair few panels painted. I cannot recommend enough that the front wings are removed and inspected underneath... All be it at the sacrifice of the wings ????

I'm confident mine would have pissed water into the footwells for the rest of its life if he hadn't taken them off

Telf

Yep its certainly taking some time! The wings are off on mine, one of the main things for me is no more wet carpets.

I'm being patient because they have a good reputation locally amongst the retro scene, they can't really mess the job up my pug is a regular at the club meets where alot of their business stems from.

Telf

Repairs have commenced! Pictures to follow!

Telf

so here we go...

The car is being stripped from rear to front, fuel lines, brake lines and axle,exhaust etc all removed. all paint removed from the underside with the intention of repainting in the original Red.

Telf

As the nearside rear arch was a known area of concern that has been tackled first.. pictures speak for themselves.

post-21474-0-51710200-1492810965_thumb.jpeg

post-21474-0-54367600-1492810996_thumb.jpeg

post-21474-0-67495200-1492811015_thumb.jpeg

Telf

basically the previous repair that I paid a lot for about 18 months ago was a complete bodge. As you can see the Sill is in a sorry state... it gets worse

Telf

the bottom of the sill has actually been filed with fibre glass and mastic- not metal as it was supposed to be

post-21474-0-93867700-1492811159_thumb.jpeg

post-21474-0-89816400-1492811187_thumb.jpeg

post-21474-0-63890400-1492811189_thumb.jpeg

Telf

rotten area cut away. rear arch tacked ready for weld

post-21474-0-54158300-1492811462_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-96313700-1492811464_thumb.jpg

Telf

slightly out of order as the extent of the sill damage was found after the 1/2 panel patch was tacked on. At the moment trying to decide if to replace or repair the sill...Weekend to think it over!

Telf

And the dead metal left scattered on the floor!

post-21474-0-00693200-1492811657_thumb.jpeg