• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

[Body_Work] Rust Rust And More Rust!

Gaz205

Are those panels available now or are we talking a long time ago?

murtaghp

I beleve they are still available in the group buy section under "rear bumper mounting brackets"

Telf

they are - skyquake supplies them- I've just bought a pair

Telf

im confident I can sort the surface rust- im trying to decide what product to use- looking at the bilthammer deox- c gel which seems to eat the rust- or a rust converter which FE123 seems to be. Not sure the best route.

Telf

As for the rusty bits and the holes I'm now edging towards cut out a patch with parts from a pattern sill. I'm trying to keep as much original car as possible.

Telf

paul - how long did it take you to take it all to bare metal? My floor seems ok- its covered in a thin layer of stone chip. I'm thinking of removing it all but thought I'd do more harm than good as I believe its galvanised and therefore protected reasonably well

Edited by Telf

murtaghp

I'd did it in stints but all in it probably took me about 3-4 hours to wire wheel the rust. I also left the factory under seal on the floor pan alone. I only removed damaged sections until I hit good metal.

Make sure you wear good goggles and a dust mask, it may even be worth investing in one of the combined ones as mine kept steaming up (I ended up wearing swimmingly goggles in the end)

I scrubbed the floor pan (with petrol and a dish brush) which was a pain following years of oil leaks but it came up very well and showed me any parts where the factory sealer had been compromised.

Best of luck

Edited by murtaghp

205Rallee

I did my boot floor, light surface rust with a rust converter, Por 15(I think) two pack paint brushed on and then sprayed on waxoyl underseal and waxoyl as well.

Also had the problem with one crusty rear bumper mount, looked quite bad but my mate Rob made up repair sections as per the photo, also did the rear end of the sills which weren't actually too bad.

Problem is, once it is completely finished I'll never want to take it out in the rain! No, I will as it looks like it will hit the roads again after 11 years off the road in December just in time for its 29th birthday. Can't believe it is that many years since my dad picked it up from the dealer, seems like yesterday.

Not bad these Peugeots as it's not a lot of rust for 29 years :)

post-8266-0-56627700-1476813666_thumb.jpg

post-8266-0-70875500-1476813684_thumb.jpg

post-8266-0-53063900-1476813696_thumb.jpg

post-8266-0-04414400-1476813712_thumb.jpg

post-8266-0-13965100-1476813742_thumb.jpg

post-8266-0-13796400-1476813759_thumb.jpg

post-8266-0-08917000-1476813774_thumb.jpg

Edited by 205Rallee

Telf

205rallee- mine keeps rusting in the same spot as shown in your pics- nearside rear arch- repaired twice now- I cant figure out whats causing it- I've seen the metal cut out at the bodyshop. I figure its the hole at the rear of the arch (by the bumper bracket) allowing crap to accumulate and rot it?

205Rallee

Could be, I will make sure there's a good coverage of wax in there.

And

Make sure you haven't sealed any drain holes up too.. as that could be sealing water in got I feeling there is one in there,

Telf

Oh you have to love the timing...

I start stripping the car to carry out the work and the insurance company asks for a new set of photos for the agreed value insurance. Guess I will be putting it all back together at the weekend!

Telf

Today I'm going to try and remove the front wings. Can anybody offer any advice? I know to undo the top bolts and the hidden one behind the kick panel but having carried out anow assessment yesterday I'm not sure how to get in and release the sealant.

Gaz205

I will be doing this task soon, could you take lots of pics and maybe put together a how to guide?

I was planning on using a sharp knife and basically slicing as I pulled back gently - I'm also banking on destroying the wings at the same time though ????

Telf

Ha didn't get far! Got As far as removing the trim and front bumper... not impressed my bumper mounts are trashed. Also removing the spotlight brackets - what a nightmare rusted and a total arse to undo!

Shane17

I bought a hot air gun from maplins for £20 which was awesome, used it with a putty knife to do the top of the wing and the sealant in the arch pretty much pulled away as soon as I started heating it, I think without the hot air gun your guaranteed to need new wings.

Gaz205

Oh man! Sorry to hear that - but you got the bumper off which I've heard is a bit of a git so not all bad!

Tom Fenton

I have a tool for getting the wings off undamaged.

You can make your own easily.

Length of 1.5mm stainless approx 2" wide by 2ft long.

Grind one end to a single sided chamfer

Now take a good blowtorch, heat the chamfered end up till it's red hot. Shove it through the sealer, it will go like a hot knife through butter.

Repeat until all sealer is cut through and the wing comes off.

Gaz205

I have a tool for getting the wings off undamaged.

You can make your own easily.

Length of 1.5mm stainless approx 2" wide by 2ft long.

Grind one end to a single sided chamfer

Now take a good blowtorch, heat the chamfered end up till it's red hot. Shove it through the sealer, it will go like a hot knife through butter.

Repeat until all sealer is cut through and the wing comes off.

ill defo try that when the time comes

steve@cornwall

http://www.powertoolsdirect.com/faithfull-professional-window-knife-quarter-moon?utm_source=google&kwd=&utm_medium=merchant_pla&gclid=CJWBx63G8c8CFUG7GwodFi0PzQ

I use something similar to this. Inherited from my window fabricating days. If you "walk" the front blade through sealant it gives a surprising amount of leverage.

Telf

Im just compling a list of stuff I need to source post the strip of the car. Found most of it apart from the GTI metal clips that hold the door trim on- does any company reproduce them?

GLPoomobile

Someone was doing these recently. May have been Baker BM.

Telf

Ta!

I had a look on their site and coudn't see them. Have to give them a call.

Edited by Telf