• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

GLPoomobile

Exhaust Repair Bodgery Advice

barneys66

Is it worth drilling some holes around the main area, then twisting them so they look like cheese grater holes - this will then give the epoxy something to mould itself into and therefore hold onto, rather than just sitting on top..?

GLPoomobile

Well I went with Quick Steel epoxy (or rather, a cheaper version of that type of product, ~£5). Turned out it wasn't a simple split anymore. Once I'd dropped it down far enough and ripped the rusty remains of the outer skin off the top I actually had two holes in the inner skin. Not massive, only about 5p-ish size. So far it's been fine, car is quieter now than it's been in years, and was no problem on the MOT. So let's see how long it lasts. I hope to get the whole system replaced before the next MOT anyway, so no biggie if the epoxy falls out in the next few weeks as it's done its job.

Oh, and for those advising a new (cheap) exhaust - a} last month I was down to my last few pennies, and I mean that very literally, before pay day, so that wasn't an option (just sayin). b} yes I could have got a back box very cheap, I could have even got the full cat-back system for less than £100, but you get what you pay for. Why would I want to spend £100 on a cheap pattern system that potentially could strangle flow (this is 250bhp T5), for the sake of getting through a few months Vs spending £5 on a bodge to the original Volvo system? I'm sure I must sound very ungrateful, but it can be a bit infuriating when nobody listens to what you actually asked and just skips straight to the obvious but most expensive solution (and I thank Jackherer again for actually giving an explanation to why my suggested fix wasn't a good idea). Hope you guys aren't responsible for putting together solutions/proposals/bids/pricing etc in your line of work! :P

Edited by GLPoomobile
  • Like 1

lagonda

Glad to hear you've got it fixed; be interesting to hear how long this bodge lasts.

Once "repaired" the exhaust on my brother's 1948 Morris 8 (aka "The Jokamotor") with tightly wound oily rag. Oily because the theory was some non-evaporating dampness would provide a better seal. All was fine....well, for about 10 minutes, before smoke started pervading the cabin. It wasn't exhaust smoke, and with wooden flooring (doubtless soaked with 40 years of engine oil spray), we had to stop pretty damn quick! Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

Well, it finally blew out again about 2 weeks ago. It's back to full blow now. I don't think that was bad going, about 5 months worth. Might have lasted longer but some times I just have to spank the arse off the T5.

Will bung it up again.

steve@cornwall

£1 a month ain't bad

GLPoomobile

It's even better than that Steve, I only used half the tube of epoxy last time!

GLPoomobile

MOT on friday. What do we think?

post-6307-0-86624200-1504001189_thumb.jpg

wicked

That you shouldn't be driving a 250bhp T5 if you can't spare some bucks to get it welded or replaced by a proper used box. :ph34r:

But most likely you'll stuff in the other half of the tube epoxy and that will blow out in less than 5 months.

welshpug

slap more goop on it.

Tom Fenton

Short term repair has lasted 12 months. Personally I'd be happy with that and just buy a new one now but that's me.

GLPoomobile

I will be getting a full system put on soon (depending on how catastrophic the MOT result it) as it's not going to last much longer judging by how much the hole has deteriorated in 12 months. Middle section is scabby as hell too (although not leaking) and I don't much fancy trying to separate it from the downipe so I'll happily pay to have a custom one made up and let them have the grief.

GLPoomobile

That you shouldn't be driving a 250bhp T5 if you can't spare some bucks to get it welded or replaced by a proper used box. :ph34r:

But most likely you'll stuff in the other half of the tube epoxy and that will blow out in less than 5 months.

THanks for your thoughts on that, along with the arsey sarcastic tone :) I always find that it helps to establish some of the facts before you go jumping in with both feet. Like....

1) It's a more or less worthless Volvo, the fact it is a 250bhp T5 is neither here nor there

2) Because it's a worthless Volvo and I have other financial priorities in life....like keeping my kids fed and clothed.......yes I have scrimped where necessary.

3) I Have been "shedding" this thing for the last few years, because the plan was to just run it in to the ground as long as I could

4) Since I've now decided to keep it longer I'm no longer scrimping and I have spared "some bucks" bringing it's condition back to scratch, but the exhaust is not an immediate priority compared to other things.

5) As already noted, welding that hole wouldn't be easy and would be a waste of money (since I don't have a welder and can't weld either)

6) I'm not going to put a used box on, for numeroues reasons. Do you want me to make this even more boring than it already is by listing my reasons?

7) My temp fix, which was always intended to be a temp fix, has done what I needed it to do for pennies and little effort. But I guess you are too snobbish to appreciate that, because ooooooh, it's a 250bhp T5 worth about £600!

With the greatest of respect, wind yer neck in ;)

P.S. And by the way, yes I did stick in the other half of the epoxy metal after that photo was taken. And went over it with a layer of Gun Gum.

Edited by GLPoomobile

barneys66

Amen to that.

Bangernomics - whatever works.

• Like 1

steve@cornwall

You get to be point where you just have to know how long you can keep bodging things once you start. It's a really good and inexpensive hobby.

• Like 1

jeremy

It really is your time of the month lol!

All because you can't weld doesn't mean it can't be welded, and depending on the garage might only cost £20, i guess it all comes down the the rest of the condition of that section of the exhaust as to whether its worth it.

toolie72

Are lotus bodgers as they glue alloy cars together?

F1 cars run at 195 with clips and tape holding them together-high load

Lots of rifles are bedded into their stocks with titanium putty-high recoil

Etcetc

Traditionally yes gun gums crap but if glues/bonding agents are good enough for NASA (except for disasters) then looking for a chemical fix is not perhaps the same as turning lead into gold (or green if you like blackadder)

Just saying

• Like 1

dcc

Chemical metal the f*** out of it

• Like 1

wicked

THanks for your thoughts on that, along with the arsey sarcastic tone :) I always find that it helps to establish some of the facts before you go jumping in with both feet. Like....

1) It's a more or less worthless Volvo, the fact it is a 250bhp T5 is neither here nor there

2) Because it's a worthless Volvo and I have other financial priorities in life....like keeping my kids fed and clothed.......yes I have scrimped where necessary.

3) I Have been "shedding" this thing for the last few years, because the plan was to just run it in to the ground as long as I could

4) Since I've now decided to keep it longer I'm no longer scrimping and I have spared "some bucks" bringing it's condition back to scratch, but the exhaust is not an immediate priority compared to other things.

5) As already noted, welding that hole wouldn't be easy and would be a waste of money (since I don't have a welder and can't weld either)

6) I'm not going to put a used box on, for numeroues reasons. Do you want me to make this even more boring than it already is by listing my reasons?

7) My temp fix, which was always intended to be a temp fix, has done what I needed it to do for pennies and little effort. But I guess you are too snobbish to appreciate that, because ooooooh, it's a 250bhp T5 worth about £600!

With the greatest of respect, wind yer neck in ;)

P.S. And by the way, yes I did stick in the other half of the epoxy metal after that photo was taken. And went over it with a layer of Gun Gum.

I don't see myself as a snob and have been raised in a family where money was an issue and have learned from it.

Although these cars are cheap to buy, they are not cheap to run (fuel?). That's why they are cheap to buy.. ;)

So if you have 2 grand in the bank, you can only spend 1 grand to buy such car, the other grand will be needed for fixes.

Also let go that the costs of the repairs is almost equal to the worth of the car. The next 600 quid car will need the same money for repairs.

I've read the topic and your eagerness to take the advise given (<-sarcastic), makes it easy to predict that you'll keep on stuffing epoxy.

Although you don't have a welder yourself, I cannot imagine that a local shop could bodge it with some metal and a welder for some beer money or 5 tubes of epoxy.

Relate that money to the fuel a T5 can burn....

So I'll wind my neck and leave the topic. Will you stop asking for advise that you never intend to take?

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

OK, first things first, it's passed the MOT fine this morning with the only advisory on the exhaust being that it's a bit rusty (same advisory for numerous years running).

GLPoomobile

I don't see myself as a snob and have been raised in a family where money was an issue and have learned from it. Same here

Although these cars are cheap to buy, they are not cheap to run (fuel?). That's why they are cheap to buy.. ;)Mine has been very cheap to run in terms of maintenance, although that's partly as I haven't applied the "money no object" approach and have just spent when absolutely essential to safety and reliablity, yet in spite of that it's gone through the MOT first time for the second year running and is generally pretty clean and solid. Yes it's thirsty but I only do ~5k miles PA so I don't see it as an issue. I bought it at a time when I had more disposable income (pre kids) but realistically there's no sense getting rid of it for something cheaper to run as I'd still need to spend out on repairs and maintenance on the next car unless I was supremely lucky in finding a 'shed' that had been fastidiously maintained in it's lifetime.

So if you have 2 grand in the bank, you can only spend 1 grand to buy such car, the other grand will be needed for fixes.

Also let go that the costs of the repairs is almost equal to the worth of the car. The next 600 quid car will need the same money for repairs.

I've read the topic and your eagerness to take the advise given (<-sarcastic), makes it easy to predict that you'll keep on stuffing epoxy. I take advice if the advice has merit. I have not dismissed out of hand anything on this thread, but some suggestions are not suitable under the circumstances. It's that simple. I would keep stuffing epoxy if the hole had not worsened over the last 12 months, because it's a repair that HAS worked for pennies and little time and effort. There's no shame in that, just like plenty of people on this forum have had no shame over the years holding securing numerous parts of their 205s together with cable ties. I will be replacing the exhaust soon as it's plain to see that the hole is getting near to the point of being beyond repair.

Although you don't have a welder yourself, I cannot imagine that a local shop could bodge it with some metal and a welder for some beer money or 5 tubes of epoxy. It's an awkward shape so a plate would have to be formed, and there would have to be a lot cut out to find any fresh metal to weld to. Access would an issue - possibly enough clearance just by lowering it, but if not it would have to come off meaning either cut the box off the mid pipe and weld it back on again after (that'll be fun with all the rust!) or separate it at the front joint behind the cat, which is also rusted to f*** and will put up a fight. When you start to add up the labour, it's no longer a "beer money" job (5 tubes of epoxy is £25 by the way, which won;t get me an hour of labour in most places). Or, just put £2.50 of epoxy on it, at a cost of 1 hour of my time, every few months if necessary. And then replace the whole exhaust later. Hmmm

Relate that money to the fuel a T5 can burn.... I reckon by the time I'd paid for the above I could have filled the Volvo's tank twice which would last me a month and a half. Difference is I actually have to pay for the fuel, it's not optional, whereas spending money on the exhaust is optional.

So I'll wind my neck and leave the topic. Will you stop asking for advise that you never intend to take? Nope, I've been on here long enough to know that for every 9 people who give inappropriate advice, it won't be long before someone sensible offers up the golden nugget, because we've got a big enough active membership with good solid practical skills and knowledge.

dcc

Advice and advise are quite different words

wicked

Advice and advise are quite different words

You're right. I'll pay more attention next time.

dcc

Im just winding you up

Id imagine your English is better than my Dutch :)