• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

forbeslongden

1124Cc 205 Engine Woes.

forbeslongden

Morning chaps,

yesterday I decided to give my 1.1 205 a run as I've had it up for sale for a few weeks now and it hasn't been driven but has had a small oil leak since I got it, now it drove absolutely faultlessly from where it is to my local town centre but when I was driving back, the engine temp light came on breifly and just as I got home the three red dash warning lights came on, I found that it was really throwing the oil out from under the car when I'd stopped and more over, it had pooled in the engine observation panel. The car isn't damaged thankfully.

Anybody got an idea what I'm in for here? I've got it booked in for an MOT and repair on Monday but I'm a tad bricking it if it's Piston related or something like that.

welshpug

DCC has a good 1124 engine spare.

forbeslongden

Are they a quite labour intensive engine to get swapped out? I noticed a 1.4 engine up for sale too. Would a sump gasket cause the oil to splat around the lower engine bay?

Anthony

I'd be surprised if the sump gasket suddenly started leaking sufficient oil to cause the low oil pressure light to come on after what I'm guessing is just a few mile journey.

Generally speaking, oil doesn't go upwards or forwards when it leaks - so find the highest point where there's fresh oil on the engine as far towards the front as you can and your leak is likely around there.

TU's are easy things to work on and remove if required, although hopefully it shouldn't be a difficult fix once you find the source so long as you didn't continue to run it with the oil pressure light lit.

forbeslongden

Yeah it was an odd one for sure, I mean, I knew it had a slight oil leak from what looked like the filter area to me but yeah it was a small journey and a whoooole lot of oil.

One thing I've always noticed about 205's I own, is they usually get you to where you need to go before going badly wrong which is nice I guess! The three 'stop' lights didn't come on until I was in the street it's parked so fingers crossed it hasn't roasted the engine as it's a decent runner.

I guess I'm glad it did it on me rather than selling it to someone and it happen to them.

toolie72

Oil warning light sensor? Mine started peeing oil everywhere-it was coming out of the spade terminal, it had failed internally so replacement was only option

forbeslongden

I had number 8 switch on briefly first on start up then 17, 16, 15 all came on at once when I was just getting in my street and that's when I realised that I was trailing all the oil, the dipstick reading was 1 notch, but it could be game over if that spade is peppered?

post-23672-0-05430300-1465570976_thumb.jpg

Anthony

Number 8 is low coolant level, not coolant temperature (assuming that's what you were talking about in the first post)

15, 16, and 17 will all illuminate together for low oil pressure.

16 and 17 will illuminate together for high coolant temperature.

forbeslongden

Yeah it was the bottom right one for sure, i'd never seen that warning light before (I obviously got what it was telling me wrong ;) the engine fan was going too but I put that down to a hot summer day more than anything as it went out like 20 seconds after I'd switched down (it wasn't going on the way back where the oil finally ejected) on a side note, number 12 comes on before switching the full key turn, I assume this is checking the cat system?