• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

petert

[Race_Prep] Never Ending Race Car Build

petert

It’s been a while but the wait is worth it. I picked up the 205 from the repairer today. The front has been replaced (thanks to a donor) from the firewall forward. So much work. It’s also had a full respray and looks superb. Too good to race?

FD0914B4-B4C7-43A1-B5D7-4CDA78C73392.jpeg

6090393B-1881-4E06-A5E8-937984308873.jpeg

• Like 6

mmt

Great news. Have fun thrashing it once again - after all it is a race car. :-) 

andy0075

" Too good to race? "

.....too good not to be raced ! :D

• Like 1

petert

A few more pics. The damaged front end was removed by drilling out all the spot welds. The entire front was removed from the red shell and placed onto my car, on a jig to ensure it was still in spec. It came out perfect. The rails go right back under the footwells. Approx. 20kg of sound deadening was also removed in the process.

203203AC-9D7F-414B-97F5-056A6FE5573A.jpeg

6C5D1A52-567F-4747-8999-C62D149E3488.jpeg

F9A94D14-293D-4E92-8368-7D2ED2B96689.jpeg

781C4C36-71F7-439A-A995-4CA2A2BE8084.jpeg

4079B64B-C816-43C1-8B4A-B2DB27992E73.jpeg

Edited by petert
  • Like 4

DamirGTI

Seems like the red 205's are the most common donors of the front end and overall bodywork bits for repairing crashed ones ! :P (i've also red one cut into pieces and stuffed in the shed for "stitching up" my project 205's needing "arms-and-legs" ! .. when the time comes ...)

Looking great , neatly done job B) ... always nice to see them fixed after the crash especially nowadays .

Will have to do the same job on one of mines , as one chassis leg is mangled badly along with the strut tower .. opposite side leg/tower is also suspicious thus i might need to do both sides too .

Are the chassis rails replaced complete in full length on the floor base or in section/"half way" ? 

Was it much "off" when placed on a jig ?

if you have more pictures of the repair i'd like to see please :) (can send me on PM if you don't want to post them here ..)

D

SweetBadger

Looks great, good to see it's been saved, get it back out there on the Track! :P

20kg of sound deadening!? Where was that hiding? Or was it just in the the underseal? 

petert

Just all that underseal/deadening, from the front to the rear of the front seats.

mmt

That is a lot of dead weight to get rid of. How did you remove it? 

petert
On 10/21/2022 at 1:42 AM, mmt said:

That is a lot of dead weight to get rid of. How did you remove it? 

9" grinder with a special wire wheel.

mmt

Thanks. Sounds like a very dirty and tough job :-) 

petert

It's certainly been a while, but I had a free week to work on the 205. Here's my turbo manifold, based on a Skunk2 Ultra Race K20 plenum.

IMG_4295.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

Edited by petert
  • Like 7

petert

I've had a few enquiries, asking how the manifold went together. It comprises of a shortened Mi16 inlet, four tapered tubes (Ø40-Ø45), the cnc milled 12mm plate and the 25mm high Ø45mm trumpets. I didn't want the chance of a bolt getting sucked in, thus it's all tig welded. TB is 60mm Bosch DBW. An adaptor plate matches it to the 90mm Ford pattern on the Skunk2 plenum.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 8.55.45 am.png

Edited by petert
  • Like 1

petert

Some progress today. I made an o-ring spacer to adapt the Bosch throttle to the Skunk2 manifold. Also added the Plazmaman clamp.. Ready to make the hot and cold intercooler pipes now.

IMG_4473.jpg

IMG_4474.jpg

Edited by petert
  • Like 1

petert

My RH Grp A hub was bent in the crash. The backup plan for now are some 306 hubs I had laying around. I modified them to accept the Grp A drop pin and take a Ø5/8" shoulder bolt for the track rod & rod end. Still some fine tuning to do, but it will do for now. Ultimately, I'll move to 406 units, which also allows me to retain the ABS ring.

306 hubs.jpg

Edited by petert
  • Like 1

petert

Some pics of the cold side of the intercooler. My son did a great job with the pie cuts.

donuts.JPG

pie cuts.JPG

• Like 2

petert

Whilst my son is still ticking along with the intercooler pipes (nothing happened in December), I've been pushing on with oil pipes. I decided I didn't want engine oil running through the firewall any more. Thus I've put the return & supply pipes for the dry sump tank under the car and enter via one of those round holes in the floor. Yes, the dry sump tank is still in the cabin, over the left rear wheel, but I can now put a passenger seat back in, if desired. It also provides natural cooling of oil.

Adding the turbo over the gearbox, meant the Mi16 PAS pump had to go. I've only heard bad stories about full electric steering and plate diffs, so decided to stick with the reliable GMH Astra electric pump. I'm also fitting this over the rear LH wheel, so again, the pipes have gone under the car.

dry sump & PAS pipes.jpg

dry sump under car pipes.jpg

Edited by petert
  • Like 2

mmt

Wow just WOW! 

Spesh

Hey peter, I used epas (corsa b)  on mine with a 3J plated diff, no particular issues unless I'm missing something? curious as to what it is the problems?

petert

Apparently they get very upset at full lock.