• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Gr Versus Gtx Engine Spec

Telf

Hi all,

So my GR has a 1.3 65 bhp engine fitted( I think that's correct!). I've got an engine from a GTX with about 136K on it sitting under a tarp - is it worth doing the swap? I think the GTX had an original output of 75bhp but I'm not 100% sure.

I don't have the ECU from the GTX so would probably reuse the existing carb as the engines seem look the same.

I've got really no experience with the TU series to be honest.

Any advice would be appreciated

j_turnell

Personally i'd try and get hold of a tu3s out of an XS. 85bhp stock and just loves to rev, i fitted a PX filter and straight through centre secion off a 1.0 on mine and it made a nice raspy exhaust note, but not to loud. You will also have the advantage of using an alloy block instead of an iron lump like the GTX.

toolie72

Agree-xs's were renowned for being A pretty powerful for size B absolute revvers that could shame big boys.

Telf

so these 2 blocks I have are basically the same?

N3VRAM

Don't forget the Ally block is also lighter (about 15kg, i think?). So more power and less weight.

allye

If both your engines are iron block then the bottom ends will be near identical. Differences will be head and fueling.

You say 1.3, do you mean 1360cc? Aka 1.4?

As above, if you can get hold of a complete xs engine, carb and box. I've said it before, my bog standard and slightly rough 89' xs was the most fun 205 I've ever driven.

Careful swapping around carbs and heads, even externally identical twin choke solex's can be jetted differently.

Telf

I just have the engine from the GTX and nothing else. The GR is a single carb - pretty basic so I presume swapping the engines over wouldn't make any difference