• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

fedenl

205 Cti 1.9 Gti Engine With Megasquirt2 Problem

fedenl

Hi, im new in this forum, im from Argentina and i have two little cti´s . One is standard 1.6 and the other one has a 1.9 engine from a gti and megasquirt2.

I installed an Mi16 flywheel and im using a cranck sensor in the 1.9 engine, so i have a wasted spark coil pack.

I didnt check it with a timing light but with a BTDC angle of 114 degrees it crancks well and engine starts with no problems.

The real problem is that after the engine starts it dies after a few seconds, im lost because adding more or taking off fuel isnt working and the same for the spark advance. I think there is another problem and i cannot find it. The fuel pump is working fine.

Does anyone have a clue of why is this could be happening?

Thanks!!, sorry for my english, im a little bit rusty.

post-26300-0-64369900-1449792648_thumb.png

opticaltrigger

Hi Federico,

We use MS2 extra on a 1.9 turbo 8v.

Do you have an MSQ file you can send over to me so I could take a better look at it.

All the best

O.T.

wicked

Did you have the polarity right for the switching signal for the fuel pump? I had it in the past; it ran the pump on switching on the ignition, but switched it off once the engine was running. I had to put the signal to inverted.

fedenl

Thank you both, last night i realised that the fuel pump relay cuts off once the engine starts. I pushed the relay manually and it worked. Its like you said Wicked, how do i change the polarity?

welshpug

swap one of the wires in the brown plugs by the steering column.

wicked

Probably you have a menu like this: flip the 'Fuel pump polarity'

fpress_zpstp95fw7n.png​

fedenl

Pitcrew, im gonna attach some pictures so you can help me to switch the cable because i dont know which brown plug you are saying. Im a little bit lost with that

Wicked, i dont have that option in my MS2 , i checked every option but there isnt nothing like that.

I thnk the best way is like Pitcrew i saying but im still needing help to locate that brown plug, Here some pictures....

Thank you both!!

post-26300-0-79366800-1449940034_thumb.jpg

post-26300-0-06287400-1449940052_thumb.jpg

post-26300-0-82439100-1449940077_thumb.jpg

fedenl

Pitcrew, im gonna attach some pictures so you can help me to switch the cable because i dont know which brown plug you are saying. Im a little bit lost with that

Wicked, i dont have that option in my MS2 , i checked every option but there isnt nothing like that.

I thnk the best way is like Pitcrew i saying but im still needing help to locate that brown plug, Here some pictures....

Thank you both!!

Welshpug, not pitcrew haha

fedenl

Problem solved! i was missing the cable thats gets the coil signal, so i connected this cable (the same cable that gets the rpm signal for the dash) to one of the two coils signal and the tachymetric relay stayed on. Thank you guys!

:)​ :)​ :)​

opticaltrigger

Good to hear that you got it fixed Federico.

All the best

O.T.

fedenl

Sorry to re-open this thread.

I´ve bought ITBS 45mm (MECATROL, you can look for them in internet) to my 1.9 engine and i have some questions to ask you guys!.

My CTI its a daily car so i wanted to add a 405 mi16 IAC VALVE to the itbs to have no problems, not only at cold starts but also with the A/C (its not installed but it will be someday). Is this possible?. I have a drop in rpms whenever i switch on the lights , the IAC valve could help with this i suppose and with al rpms drops.

Also i wanto to fit a more agressive Camshaft, do you recommend any to give extra power but still drivable or a certain range of degrees?

Looking forward to your advices!!

Thank you very much!

:)

Anthony

Can MS2 not control idle speed using ignition advance? That's usually enough with ITBs to get a good idle without needing an ICV or similar.

petert

Series 1 Mi16 ICV is hard to control as it requires a voltage to keep it closed. Thus if the ICV fails for any reason, the valve opens partially to maintain a high idle, typically 2000rpm. If you could make a circuit to set the required voltage for closed (hot idle), then a little more voltage for a fast cold idle, you'll be ok.

I agree with Anthony however. If the car is well tuned and set up correctly, it shouldn't need any more air. It's far easier to set the ignition advance a bit higher when the coolant temp is low.