• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Carb Setup Issue?

Telf

I'm currently having a massive issue with my GTI so its off the road for the moment. In the mean time I still need a car for work so I've been forced to tax my GR project car.

It is getting me to work however I am wondering if the Carb isn't set up right. I know nothing about carbs really so I will outline the issue:

Some may roll their eyes - its quite similar to my GTi without the explosive backbox!

Basically it is choking when you put your foot down. If you only lightly press the throttle its ok- but obviously takes ages to accelerate.

I've checked the Dizzy and leads- the dizzy had 2 missing contacts so I replaced that- fault still there. The leads I borrowed from a known good set. No difference.

The choke cable bracket was slightly loose and kind of moving and causing the choke to stick - tightened it up- but problem persists

I've taken the top off the Carb and sprayed some cleaner in - no change - also added some Redex (which I didn't think would help and hey presto - it didn't!)

I've read the Haynes and it talks about needed a CO2 meter to set it up correctly - is there anything I can do prior to it ending up in a garage somewhere?

Thanks

Telf

Starting to feel like the Moron of the Forums - so much car trouble its ridiculous!

calvinhorse

Don't feel bad dude, if I had carb troubles I used to bin them and buy another second hand one but that was when there was loads about!

Which carb is it?

Could be a blocked jet, I sprayed a full tin of carb cleaner in one once and it still didn't solve anything, in the end I carefully removed the top half of the carb and removed the jets, on inspection the jet had a tiny hair/wire stuck in it, you could still see past it so I didn't think that would be the problem, anyway put it back together and it cured it.

The 2 parts of the carb has a gasket, they usually come off in one piece if you're careful

Telf

I have a look and find out what carb it is in a bit after I finish wrestling with the GTI for the day...

Telf

Calvin,

I haven't forgotten about this- I'm just having too many issues with the GTI to follow it up !

Telf

Today months later I finally got around to looking at this Carb. I think its a SOlex34 as detailed on page 87 fig 3.7 of the Workshop manual.

Mine seems a little different though - it doesn't have item 4 or 5, just a pipe from a bellow device that allows fuel to squirt when the throttle opens.

Anyway Ive taken it to pieces and used a service kit to replace the Enricher device, Needle valve and a diaphragm that supplies fuel to the jet. Put it all back together and the car starts and runs. It has lost the hesitation under acceleration but now appears to be misfiring. When you let off the throttle you can hear popping from the exhaust which wasn't there before.

Apart from the parts I replaced I unscrewed the Idle mixture screw. Before removal I screwed it in and counted the turns to bottom it out. I've put it back to the same position.

Any body have any idea what I need to do now?

Thanks

Telf

I have stripped this down again and recleaned all the jets. Refitted but still having problems.

It seems to be elated to the mixture screw so I suppose ive just gotta keep tweaking it until I get it running as good as possible

mick

i would suggest taking it to a local garage that does mot's they can check the mixture and do the adjustment for you should be cheap enough, my local does this for me for a tenner saves all the hassle... :-)

Telf

aye mick that would be easiest but I do like to tinker and learn...(usually the hard way!)

allye

You really need to get a timing light on it, I remember with my twin choke solex's id out the light on every few months for a little adjustment. Get the timing and mixture sorted properly not guessing and I think it will sort it.

Carbs have a personality I swear!

kyepan

from what you've described it does sound like it's not getting enough fuel from the main jet, if there is a carb rebuild kit available, that might be a suggestion.