• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

barneys66

White 1987 Ph1 1.9 Gti For Road And Track Shenanigans..

barneys66

Popped into HAS Supplies in Bury at lunchtime and owner Peter couldn't have been more helpful in sorting me out with 10mm compression fittings and a 1m hose, crimped-to-order for my power steering conversion, and all for the princely sum of £25.

I tripped over the cooling loop for the low pressure side the other day - do people consider this to be essential..?

DSC_1195_zps10ajares.jpg

Anthony

I don't bother with the cooling loop on the road, but I imagine you might need it if you intend to do autoslaloms or similar where you're constantly working the steering.

Sounds like a good deal on the hose too :)

welshpug

its definitely something I'd put in on a rally/autotest car, they build up a fair bit of heat quickly where a road car would be fine in the uk

barneys66

Thanks guys - I guess it's a relatively easy install, being on the low pressure side.

Will p-clips suffice, or should I hunt down OEM clips..?

Anthony - yes was happy with that, especially as he'd crimped it before telling me the price! :wacko::D

barneys66

Stupid question time folks - where does the pipe that exits the top right of the coolant tank..?

DSC_1199_zpszhm04g6w.jpg

I have nothing connected to these (neither front nor back of the thing on the right).

_20160611_093714_zps5wbq3h9w.jpg

Anthony

It goes to the one on the left of that picture.

The one on the right is the SAD which can be safely removed if you're running carbs.

• Like 1

barneys66

Brilliant - thanks again Anthony.

Just spent the past hour on the fuel filter as this idiot didn't account for it when running his pretty brake pipes..

Oh, and then found the firewall to filter hose has a big kink in it, so need to find one of those. Two steps forward, one back ffs.

barneys66

Wanted ad coming for that firewall-to-filter fuel hose, otherwise mostly successful.

Last thing I did was throw the grille on, drop it back its wheels and shut the bonnet - good motivation to see it looking complete again!

Torquing up, battery relocation and interior refitting tomorrow. Oh, and maybe a clean..

DSC_1209_zpsm8uc45vq.jpg

DSC_1208_zpslnctlw5y.jpg

barneys66

Another few bits ticked off today - rad flushed, all fluids in, fitted slam panel and breather (previous advice not forgotten - just trying to get back on road asap), gave it a quick wash, robbed battery relocation kit from Mustang and fitted to 205, etc.

Today's kick in the teeth is finding a leak from the top hose where the oil heat exchanger pipes exit. This was a pipe that I found in a heap of spares that came with the car but thankfully, due to Miles' previous generosity (he sent me one with an order of other bits when I thought I was in need) I have another to try. Will give that a go otherwise it's the standard hose back on and a call to Baker for one of their silicone jobbies.

DSC_1213_zpsywcohyr7.jpg

DSC_1214_zpsm0m414qe.jpg

DSC_1215_zpsrctmb7w6.jpg

DSC_1216_zpstahcqhnu.jpg

barneys66

Well, despite some much-needed assistance from jackherer yesterday, it looks like fire-up and MoT this week is not going to happen. Disappointing, but needs to be done right.

Couple of minor issues to sort, but no way they're going to get done this week (and I'm busy all weekend), so taking a few evenings off. Will be back on it next week though, with the next self-imposed deadline being the Retro Show on 02-03/07.

Huge thanks again to jackherer as without him I'd still be floundering wondering why nothing works, or putting out small electrical fires.. :ph34r::D

Thanks also to farmer for rushing out a replacement fuel pipe, which is one less thing to worry about ;)

jackherer

It's very close to starting, I'll avoid using the phrase 'fire-up' though ;)

I think if that kinked fuel hose hadn't started squirting fuel everywhere we'd probably have got it running.

barneys66

Well, grabbed a couple of hours tonight to fit the new fuel hose, check the lights over, trial fit my new filter, etc,

Got it up in the air to torque-up the front suspension, plus replace the rear bleed nipples. Lo and behold the first one snapped straight off.

Fiddlesticks. Still, forces me to replace the rear pipework which is no bad thing..

DSC_1229_zpsenexdz1z.jpg

DSC_1231_zpsyckrtw1p.jpg

DSC_1230_zpsivju1wgi.jpg

barneys66

Tried to drill out the caliper but failed; JackHerer kindly dug one out of his stash and hand-delivered it today as he'd popped over again to help with the electrics.

Very pleased to say that after a few checks and sorting of wiring it fired up and ran! No major leaks, not horrid noises and good oil pressure, so very happy indeed. However, it was running a little rough so new leads on order and, once it's running smoothly I'll be able to balance / tune the carbs (bought a synchrometer off eBay and a gas analyser off Gumtree!), and take a stab at the timing before heading out for an MoT.

Some other bits and bobs to sort too - 'permanent' loom to make up for the coil, caliper to go on and brakes to bleed, power steering to wire up, quickie alignment, oil pressure sender to fix, etc.

That's next weekend sorted.

jackherer

It's nearly done now, just a few details left really.

I might be asking to borrow your synchrometer sometime...

barneys66

It's nearly done now, just a few details left really.

I might be asking to borrow your synchrometer sometime...

Anytime!

Couldn't have done it without you Kieran - thanks again.

• Like 1

barneys66

Two words - bollocks, bollocks, bollocks.

Had a productive weekend and got the car road worthy and decided to bring it from workshop to home (~20 miles) in preparation for an MoT tomorrow at a place opposite work..

Checked and double checked everything, and it seemed to be running just fine, So, set off at a gentle pace and foolishly ignored what I thought was general 'rebuild' smells, only to be greeted by this when I got home;

As in my original post, I've got a lot to learn about these, so I didn't think too much about the crumbling dipstick seal. Bollocks. Oh well, it's plugged now and will order a new one from Peugeot in the morning..

Wish me luck..!

Ps - wow, the Xsara rack is a lot of fun !!

DSC_1349_zpsft0yivgy.jpg

barneys66

MoT failed but only on emissions - hydrocarbons excessive so returning tomorrow to tweak the carbs whilst on the machine. They ran out of time today so also didn't get the tracking done, but should all be fit and well by close of business tonight! Shout out to Mansfield 4x4 of Bury St Edmunds for being very helpful indeed.

Advisories on sill end corrosion and boot floor which has been a staple for the past 6 years - job for when I'm flush with time and money (so on the never never then..!)

Signed up for the autosolo on Sunday that this time last year popped the head gasket, so fingers crossed for an uneventful weekend.. I'll try and get some pics / clips but as it's held on MoD property it may not be possible. Need to cram in some practice drives to get used to it again - think I'll just treat this one as a learning curve / fun day out.

Dipstick due in tomorrow at local Peugeot for £13.

barneys66

Well, the car passed the MoT on Friday and have had the tracking done too (parallel). Major upset of the day however was another oil leak and, when trying to set the rev limiter using the garage tester, oil came absolutely gushing out of the breather filter at high revs! Aaaaarrrgghh !! Turns out the other oil leak is from the bottom of the dipstick tube so I suspect my repositioned breather setup was not breathing properly/enough, which could also explain the oil being sprayed up the dipstick tube which I thought was just a poor seal on the handle itself.

Upon further investigation one pipe was kinked slightly, and the return from the breather to the sump was not as direct as I'd liked. So, with some repositioning and the removal of an unnecessary loop, it was tried again and worked perfectly. Oh, and I also removed this, which may have had something to do with it..

DSC_1351_zpsl28uk7wz.jpg

So, with a boot full of tools, fuel and spare tyres, I headed off to the Autosolo early Sunday morning. The first few runs were terrible, including three wrong tests and some cone penalties, as it was really the first time I'd driven the car in anger for a year and was getting used to the 4.4 final drive and quick rack with power steering (lovely!) It was also bogging down a little as the fan (hot day) and electric steering pump were pulling down the revs. A tweak of the idle screws and an increase of the tickover paid dividends. Things gradually improved through the day so I was reasonably pleased with my 19th overall (of 46), and fourth in class.

A friend there was giving me tips during the day with regard to tyre pressures, etc, but he said in reality the rear end was too low and stiff for autosolos, but I'm willing to work with the current ride height as a compromise, as I don't want to set the car up solely for those. He says I just have to be really aggressive with it to bring it round in the tight corners.

Thankfully, the car didn't miss a beat, though the power steering went a couple of times which brings the cooling loop up the priority list.

Great day out, but unfortunately no photos allowed as suspected. Hopefully will be able to get some at an event in the future..

barneys66

Nice morning - took a trip to local show put on by an old acquaintance; only seventy cars or so, in front of Ely cathedral, but had a mooch around town too so a nice way to spend a few hours.

The camera on my phone really is cr4p but you get the idea;

DSC_1369_zps3px3bqpv.jpg

DSC_1366_zpss5y9gy2v.jpg

Car of the day for me, even though he only stopped by for a gander. Couple of non-standard bits looked really out of place, and the owner was a bit up himself, but it was stunning in the metal;

DSC_1372_zpsewo7cb4z.jpg

Due to the unfortunate demise of my marriage, I wanted to change the plates as they were an unwanted reminder, so contracted Dave at DMB

DSC_1373_zpsyozl5fxz.jpg

Finally, anyone have any suggestions as to why the ceramic on the right is crumbling..?

DSC_1374_zpso0colidc.jpg

Thanks all.

Malc

That Cortina is stunning! Would love one of them, Seen a mint one at Silverstone earlier in the week and it wasn't hanging around, however guessing it wasn't just a Lotus twincam in it.

barneys66

Went for a spin at the weekend, mainly to test out my camera which I was (and still am) having various problems with.

Also getting annoyed at the playback on my pc, as depending on which application is used it can have noise interference. I hate technology.

Anyway, one slip road third gear stretch before it shut itself off again..

jackherer

That sounds very healthy.

The camera looks good too, it's a shame you're having problems with it.

barneys66

Thanks Kieran - it's running pretty well but still a slight misfire on the idle circuit so more tweaking to be done as time allows. Equally, I need to fine tune the rev limit too, as it's hitting too soon. So, when are you going to come over and show me how to drive it?!

To be fair to the camera and computer I'm sure it's all user related.. SJCAM SJ4000 is the camera - a great (i.e. cheap) alternative to a GoPro. My main issue is using the WiFi function which enables me to control it with my phone, but it drops the signal and automatically stops recording. If it's just done on the button then no problem, but the intention is to stop and start with each autosolo pass, which will get tiresome if I have to take off my harness and reach over each time..

The video above was uploaded in the highest possible definition but took ages to upload thanks to my ISP. Might reduce the quality going forwards..

barneys66

Breather is still spitting out a bit of oil at high revs so tried to extend / reroute / shorten the filler and pipework to cure that. Fingers crossed.

DSC_1506_zps8zbrkwd0.jpg

Replaced my Yellowstuff pads, which were crap cold, with ECP Brembo specials. Got an autosolo event tomorrow so hopefully they'll be an improvement.

DSC_1510_zpssj0kkagf.jpg

Scruffy Speedlines with crap tyres fitted, ready for tomorrow..

DSC_1513_zps6uxe8m6v.jpg

Smart SMRs in the boot, just in case (and pop-up tent should it rain..)

DSC_1512_zpsdws1mcld.jpg

Appropriate sticker added for a couple of extra bhp.

DSC_1511_zpsoiizvirn.jpg

barneys66

The rerouted filler only seems to have made matters worse, unfortunately. Not serious, but I guess the 45 degree bend put in to extend is not ideal for flow.

Saw a gorgeous yellow Rallye there but they retired and left before I had a chance to catch up with him. Hope nothing too serious.

Good days raing; got 2nd in class A2 (4 seater >1,400cc) - one nudged cone away from taking the class win. Bugger!

DSC_1514_zpsioxjzrxs.jpg

• Like 1