• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

[Car_Restoration] 205 Gr Project Car

Telf

Ive had a fairly torrid time trying to finish my spray job off!

Everytime I use the cutting compound I get this white bloom appear. Someone today sid it may be water ingress as it sits outside overnight so Ive cut it back again. Now its sat with a tarp over it to stop the condensation hopefully maybe....

ARGHHHH!!!

toolie72

Hmmm, tried cutting part of a panel then slapping wax/polish on it, to see if paints needing something to protect it from the atmosphere?

Might be worth doing a few wee patches with whatever polishes etc you've got lying about

Almost like your paint is soft (not sure how to describe what I mean-sorry)-like it hasn't gone off properly underneath

Telf

We have manged to get rid of most of the white marks but not all. As the weather is on the turn we have waxed the car 4 times with some G4 professional wax. It looks OK. Also added a reflective panel to tidy the back up.

post-21474-0-05562300-1474801907_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-31502800-1474801944_thumb.jpg

Telf

it looks better in the photos!

The reflective panel was off fleabay. I think an aftermarket reproduction. It didn't fit very well - seemed to be too curved and so in order to make it look ok I added a line of sealant at the top! Not strictly as Peugeot fitted them I'm sure!

steve@cornwall

Looks nice and tidy, I think I would have had to paint the vallences too.(tartism) You've certainly given it a new lease of life.

Tom Fenton

Well done for having a go. I think if I'm honest your choice of oil based paint has made things hard for you. I think the bloom problems are probably because it still hasn't fully "gone off" hence you remove the top layer flatting which leaves an uncured layer open to the elements eg water which allows it to bloom.

2 pack is more durable by far, and easier to use, but you need the car inside and also a proper mask.

Telf

Cheers guys. Will probably have another go next summer now I've got all the kit! I'm leaving the valances Steve as the originals were black. Also I can't be bothered! Next up is the wheels...

Gaz205

I take my hat off to you for attempting this. Is it just lacking the shine a bit? Was the paint one that requires a clear coat after?

It certainly shows what is possible with time and effort though and I'm sure if you were to do another car you have learnt a lot!

Telf

It's not lacking shine as such. The paint is inconsistent with just about every form of spraying error represented somewhere on the car! In essence the paint wasn't flat when it dried so the whole car has been wet and dried to some degree or another. It's still not glass smooth but tbh there isn't enough paint left to keep going so I've made it look ok and will leave it until next summer then have another go. Anyways I've also got a engine for it that will keep us busy while it rains..hehe!

Edited by Telf

Telf

As for a lacquer - you apparently can't put it on a synthetic as it will react and bubble- at least that's what the paint suppliers told me!

Gaz205

I have no real experience with painting so it's good I guess to see other peoples trials and errors... Did you have to do anything with the boot floor?

Telf

No I didn't touch the floor. It's got afew patches that need attention but can wait for now

Telf

A small development. Acquired a set of 1.6 alloys with reasonable tyres today for £75. They need a lick of paint but should help reduce the chance of a off road experience this winter and make the car looks a bit better!

Telf

As far as the painting of the car goes we learnt a lot. However the main thing I learnt was leave it to someone with more experience and better equipment. Come spring the cars going to be sprayed by someone other than me!

trogboy

Good effort! Enamel is quite popular in land rover circles for people hand rolling or brushing, and I've used in on my SIII. It's a completely different kettle of fish to cellulose or modern 2 pack paints. From what I recall reading when I was looking for paint the shine only ever comes from the initial surface of the paint, and I don't think it is possible to correct using cutting compound etc, once applied. The surface will always be dull. Sorry if this has already been covered!

Ad

Telf

thanks

the car is probably looking at being repainted in spring now--im not doing it!

davenport

What an absolutely herculean effort chap....

Top marks for sticking with it

Telf

Small update.

Fitted a set of 1.6 Alloys with new bolts and a original set of peugeot locking wheel nuts I saw on Ebay. All in £110 and still a few months wear left on the tyres.

post-21474-0-13013600-1486826852_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

allye

Best wheels for a base model! Looks good.

steve@cornwall

You know what? I think that has a lot of character just as it is.I like it!

Gaz205

Looks pretty good from what I can see

Telf

Cheers guys,

Steve it does have a character of its own, dents we sprayed over and as you know a far from perfect finish :D!

The next step according to my son is to fit a set of spots....

He's also on about new seats.

I don't have much experience with the TU engines so I'm not sure if there's much can be done with them to give it a bit more Ommph. Its quite odd that my mate has a new Astra 1.4 or 5 maybe and it actually outruns it until about 50mph!

Edited by Telf

welshpug

not odd at all, new astra is massive and heavy! even a corsa has a few hundred kilos on you.

plenty can be done tuning wise to the tu engines.

Telf

Mei,

I know new motors are significantly heavier than the tin can 205 but still I thought (maybe naïvely) that a modern engine of similar capacity would produce enough extra power to allow an astra to outrun a 30 year old 205.

I did surprise me somewhat!

As regards tuning can plenty be done cheaply?