• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

tomcolinjones

Aftermarket Ecu On Standard 8V

hoodygoodwood

Sounds good , what management are you using , Omex , DTA , Emerald . What sort of power output did you get ?

205freak

hoodygoodwood i got Emerald K3, the car was map on the road and will be taken it very soon to the dyno to measure the bhp!!! Do not know what to expect power wise from my build, but should be the around the 1.9 power more or less!!!

hoodygoodwood

I bought a used TPS for this engine from Graham ( pug ham ) to check it was the right potentiometer type , it fits the 8V throttle body spindle correctly but will need a spacer plate made , the gap is just under 5mm so I have ordered some ali plate from Ebay .Was advised that a new TPS would be best as there can be issues with oil finding its way into the unit , searched on Ebay for the same Bosch part number - 0 280 122 001 - got one from German E-bay for £31 posted in the end .

Decided to use a dummy AFM and K+N 57i kit rather than try to rig up a filter or having it on the T/B .I had a spare 1.6 Bosch air flow meter so I locked the air flap in the fully open position with a screw and stripped out the workings .

hoodygoodwood

This engine is for the 309 turbo cup replica which I am building at the moment , the works going well and the first instalment of the build was in the PSCUK magazine 'Torque' recently .

Have started to build up the engine in my kitchen now the weather has turned a bit cold and miserable . Managed to fit the 1.6 pistons to the 1.9 rods this week and should have the bottom end together soon .I have a new set of NGK plugs but might this engine need a different type to standard - any recommendations ? As a reminder it will be a 1905 cc XU9JA with 1.6 pistons , 0.4mm skimmed head , Piper 285 cam , Magnex manifold and system and a standard inlet manifold/throttle body with coilpack and Omex management .

I think the exhaust system might be too restrictive as they are fairly quiet as standard so I might keep the 4 branch manifold and first box then get a new rear box made up .Although because the car is low and its always the middle box which scrapes over speedhumps maybe it should be the middle that should be modified .

PS , if someone has another 'non dizzy' thermostat housing complete with coilpack and plug leads I would like a spare .

hoodygoodwood

Have fitted the new Bosch TPS to the throttle body now I have finished the adaptor plate .

DSC00613_zpsy3wox4hn.jpg

Edited by hoodygoodwood

petert

It would be nicer if you could remove some of the unnecessary metal from the adaptor plate. Anything outside the TPS or the bolt holes is extra mass.

hoodygoodwood

I will trim a bit of metal off it now its finished , have pared a bit of weight off the car as I've been working on it . Will be interested to see what the finished car weighs compared to a GTI , I will be looking for a weighbridge in the summer .

Spesh

Mot brake testers weigh each axle generally so if you ask the mot man nicely when he's doing the brake test he should be able to tell you

hoodygoodwood

Still moving forward with this build , the bodywork is taking all my time at the moment and the short engine is still on its stand in my kitchen . I should be buying the cam soon and will then get the head together and fitted to the block , will probably see how the cam times up with the standard pulley , might save myself £100 by not needing a vernier .

I am writing up this work in the PSCUK magazine ' Torque ' under the 309 turbo Cup replica title .

I still have some hopes of getting it painted and back together in time for Goodwoods ' Hot Hatch Sunday ' this autumn .

welshpug

if its an 8v xu you can use a narrowed later 16v cam pulley.

• Like 1

hoodygoodwood

Head is now on and torqued down with no thread stripping dramas . Have fitted the new Piper 285 cam with the standard pulley and its not quite to Pipers specs so I am shopping for a new vernier pulley ,should have it all together finally in a couple of weeks .

Reebmit

I think you should like the Piper 285, one of mine runs one and power delivery great ☺

309jazzpanda

I still think it should be 309 turbo cup look a like not replica. Replica implies you are replicating the original.

hoodygoodwood

Engine is now finished , bought a Piper vernier pulley in the end and used it to correct the cam timing as it was 4 degrees out , would have been a bit easier if I had the GTI6 flywheel timing plate that bolts to the block - the 8v type does not fit because of the pick up castellations around the o/d ( does a GTI6 even have the timing plate ? ) . Its still on an engine stand in my kitchen as my garage has been turned into a spray booth , primer should be going on in the next week or two .

Anthony

Bend the 8v marker slightly so it clears the timing teeth on the GTi6 flywheel. Only Jetronic models came with the timing plate as they were the only ones where the timing was user adjustable via the dizzy - on the others, running was ECU controlled.

petert

This may help:

post-2864-0-10421500-1473586075_thumb.jpg

hoodygoodwood

Many thanks that's very useful , I will give it a try . Not sure if I have a mi or GTI6 flywheel but its definitely a 215mm clutch item , are the cutouts the same on both types .

welshpug

yep, they are nigh on identical.

pug_ham

Many thanks that's very useful , I will give it a try . Not sure if I have a mi or GTI6 flywheel but its definitely a 215mm clutch item , are the cutouts the same on both types .

Yes, any XU engine flywheel with the 60-2 toothed timing ring will be the same as Peter's diagram.

g

hoodygoodwood

Update

The finished engine has been on a stand in my kitchen for many months , the car is now painted and parts are going back on , engine and box should be fitted within a month .

Current spec

1905cc engine from a 309 GTI , stripped right down , painted and built back up with new liners , rings , shells etc .

Pistons from a 1.6 GTI .

Head skimmed ,New Piper 285 cam and Piper vernier pulley .Continental cambelt and tensioner .

GTI6 flywheel , new 215mm clutch and pickup to be mounted on BE3 gearbox .

Outwardly almost standard looking induction setup with ultrasonically cleaned injectors ,modified throttle body to flow more air , Bosch potentiometer type TPS , K+N 57i kit using a dummy AFM with flap fixed in the open position .

Coilpack mounted in place of dizzy .

Hope to get it down to Miles in April for its new Omex ECU and loom to be wired in then with a bit of luck will be driving the finished car home soon after .

Edited by hoodygoodwood
  • Like 2

Liam

Hi Guys i have an 8v in mine which is running on a Omex 710 ecu the reason i went down that route is im runing staged injection and the engine is quite highly strung over a standard set up the only real diffence would be DIS ignition i run a ttv 200mm flywheel to do my timing the only advantage i could see to do this over the standard management would be to future proof for later tuning eg throttle bodies. I do have the aux outputs on mine set up to do launch control and full throttle gear change but with all this stuff its only as good as the mapper who does it . I also decided not to map mine on the throttle angle this mapped on mass air flow (air meter) this is then also able to make compensation for barrometric correction .

hoodygoodwood

The engine and box should have gone into the car today but of course I hit an unexpected hitch . The flywheel is a GTI6 item ( 215 mm clutch , 7mm screws to hold cover on , 58/2 timing pickup marks ) The clutch is a new Ferodo CTK 286 215 mm which shows as Citroen BX , 1.9GTI 16V , + 4X4 . I have had it in a stack of parts for over a year and when I trial fitted it to the flywheel it looked fine . Now the flywheel is bolted to the crank I have tried to fit the clutch plate and as I turn it on the centering tool I can feel it catching slightly on the 8 crank bolts , the springs are just touching . All the bolts I have seen are the same with a head thickness of about 5.5mm but they would all be for the 8v engines so I am wondering if the GTI6 or Mi flywheels used a thinner headed bolt .I suppose the flywheel could have been refaced in the past but there is nothing to show this has happened .I thought an Mi clutch was compatible with a GTI6 flywheel but I obviously have a problem here . The clutch is in a Ferodo box but is marked Valeo and has been remanufactured by National , the springs are about 3mm proud of the plates friction surface and the crank bolt heads are about 3mm below the face of the flywheel so there is no clearance .

Any ideas ?

welshpug

sounds like you have the friction plate on back to front.

hoodygoodwood

The springs etc on the other side protrude a lot more ( about 8mm ) , if I put it on that way round the pressure plate goes nowhere near the flywheel . Neither side is marked as to its orientation but its obvious which way it has to go its just the lack of clearance , A slight 45 degree chamfer on the hex headed bolts would help but I would rather find the real cause . Do Mi or GTI6 flywheels use the same type of bolts to attach it to the crank ie normal hex head of about 5.5 mm thick .