• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

Walbro Gs342 255 Lph Pump Into Ph 1.5 205 Gti

Tom Fenton

As title, I needed to upgrade a fuel pump on a turbo car. The car had been sat with the pump dry for many years which is the probable cause of the issue. Did some reading and found the GS342 Walbro was the recommended pump so ordered one in.

First impressions on stripping a spare housing, not good. Pumps are different physical size, and high pressure outlet in different position.

36031967052_b17b9b761d_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Walbro pump offered into 205 pump housing

35807207080_5c50d73094_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Another oversight was that the Walbro uses a specific wiring plug, but the pump comes as a bare pump unit, so you need to order a wiring kit.

First job is shorten the supplied wiring loom and crimp spade terminals on to suit the 205 housing inside.

36157094766_638a6a2bd9_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Next I sketched up a suitable eccentric adaptor on CAD, allowed me to work out the offset needed for the eccentric part without tedious measuring or guessing.

36064121861_457899c1f9_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Next the usual measuring and sketching on a bit of paper to sort the rest of the dims

35806344430_73338973d9_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

And so off to the lathe! I started with some 75mm acetal bar, acetal is petrol resistant which is handy.

Lob it in the 3 jaw chuck, skim the OD to suit and make a couple of light scribe lines for marking out later on

36064122201_dacd2ea419_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Mount the 4 jaw chuck and set the job up offset. Spin it up to check. It's optional but recommended at this point to go "aaarrrggghhh" as your job wanks about in the lathe in a scary fashion.

With a big drill make a hole big enough for the boring bar

35393679623_2d4066d9fb_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Bore out the centre to make it a nice fit on the pump, test the pump in the hole

36157094666_333aa8a0f9_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Tom Fenton

Next turn the OD round the pump down, so a clip can go on later

35806344480_40479ffe1c_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Swap back to the 3 jaw chuck and part it off

35393679583_3a99dafa2e_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

One adaptor

35806344530_154e10077d_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Next up the original housing has a drain hole so fuel doesn't pool on top of the carrier, so replicate that. Also cut a couple of slots to allow a clip to nip the pump in the adaptor

36030967552_f02045b821_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Test fit! The adaptor is a snug fit in the carrier so probably won't go anywhere, but to make sure drill and tap an M5 hole and secure with a button head.

35393679483_0f5936122a_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Final assembly! Re use the original clic clip, these are good bits of kit, you will need a slim pair of pliers to get in there

35393679533_db1009a4e0_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Just because it would be too easy otherwise, the Walbro and Peugeot wiring falls opposite, so the two wires to the pump need to cross over in the housing

36157094526_5582d7dca8_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

And the finished article with the OE mesh filter in place.

36064122031_5abf8df19b_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

The only slight difference is that the pickup at the base of the Walbro ends up approx 10mm higher in the tank than the original Bosch pump. I don't think it will be an issue in all honesty.

Tom Fenton

Comparing back with the original I wasn't 100% happy with the height of the pump inlet. I had been trying to avoid extra joins in the high pressure line inside the tank but the conclusion was that it needed to be done.

New position, much lower

36157094456_f157b302cd_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Extra joint inside on pipe

36064121991_27d6e6d350_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

stef205

Seems strange i have the walbro gss342 340 in my tank, and being a phase 1.5 car it dropped straight in with out any modifications. A quick look on servicebox and it appears you have the phase 1 pump housing and it looks as they use the larger diameter pump.

Tom Fenton

I have 4 pumps here and they are all the same as the one in the photos! Believe me I went through all I had looking for the easy option before I set off making something! 3 of them I know for definite came out of G reg cars as I removed them myself, the 4th I don't know the history of.

The later phase 2 pump carrier has 2 very obvious changes, the housing is white not black, and it uses a JPT plug rather than the short flying lead and Peugeot style plug that the black housings use.

calvinhorse

That's bloody sexy is that

• Like 1

petert

Better than a bought one!

cheesegrater

Lovely work but as above the Ph2 housings are much easier to modify to accept the walbro pump, the casings can also be found in quite a few other cars. I thinking of mine came out of an AX.

pug_ham

Nice work Tom, also good to know as I have been considering a Walbro pump to replace one that is stuck solid due to waxed fuel from being sat for 15 years!

That's from a 1991 car so hopefully it'll fit straight in but I'll definitely want to lower the pump so it doesn't start to suffer from fuel surge over the standard item.

g

GilesW

A timely thread.

I'm using an facet external pump as a pick-up pump for my swirl pot. So stripped the OE pump out at the weekend to decide how I was going to extend the pick-up in the tank .

Not too hard actually (10mm-ish hard pipe within OE housing should do it).

My phase 1 & phase 1.5 pumps looks the same as yours.

Edited by GilesW

Tom Fenton

Any reason why you don't want to use the standard in tank pump as a lift pump?

GilesW

Two reasons - neither of them prohibiting use the OE as the lift pump:

1) I have the full fuel set up from my last car - including facet red top, bosch 044 etc etc. So it seems a shame not to make use of it.

2) The lift pumps job is about volume, not pressure.

Years back I had bosch technical send me the info on all their pumps (still might have it somewhere). But is showed how poor the pumps performed outside their design characteristics.

This mainly related to volume @ increased pressure, but since then I've not been keen to use a pressure pump for volume, and obviously vice-versa.

Now this 205 will only be 210 going to a final 240 perhaps, so demands on the fuel system will not be too great. So In reality I guess the OE in-tank will be fine.

oh damn you Fenton - think you've just made me talk myself into using the OE pump - at least for now!! lol.

Tom Fenton

For me I would rather re use the in tank pump if I can, for 1 its an OE quality install, so there will be no issues with niggly faults, plus it also keeps the pump and fuel in the tank out of the way, and also out of the cabin. Another factor worth mentioning is less aeroquip and so less £££!

I'm planning a swirl pot setup for the new incarnation of my track car, I will be using the standard in tank pump as a lift pump. I'm considering making a swirl pot that will also incorporate a second standard 205 pump housing in the top of it.

GilesW

Agree with everything you say Tom.

I'll be sticking with the OE pump for the moment I think.

However there is nothing else OE about the car - Alex Crosses' old shell, on TB's etc etc. And it has brake lines and fuel lines through the cabin. The smell of fuel just adding to the enjoyment of a track car. I'm not too concerned about fuel in the cabin. Indeed a lot of me would rather see a leak and deal with it, than not know it's happening (que bad crash with fuel squirting all over me.....). I obviously have internal and external kills switches too.

BTW - loving the fabrication skills.

welshpug

not using teflon lines?

GilesW

Nope.

This is me re-using the fuel system I had before. It's all aeroquip fittings and lines so cost me a bomb. And to be frank for an occasional track day car with lots of holes in the shell to let fumes out, I'm not concerned at all.

Indeed adds to the experience.

HERMAN

Hello Tom what's your thoughts on fitting one of these? http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/low-pressure-feeder-pump-itp377-hi-p3029-2106-p.asp

Would it fit were your walbro pump is fitting?

It also says in the listing that it fits 205 (non injection). I am now wandering if the carb model cars have a low pressure pump in the tank?

When we use the fuel pumps on a gt3 Ginetta to pump out the tank they don't last very long because the pump is pumping to an open orifice. We now have a restriction in one of the fittings so that the pump has a chance to build some pressure.

Hello Tom what's your thoughts on fitting one of these? http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/low-pressure-feeder-pump-itp377-hi-p3029-2106-p.asp

Would it fit were your walbro pump is fitting?

It also says in the listing that it fits 205 (non injection). I am now wandering if the carb model cars have a low pressure pump in the tank?

When we use the fuel pumps on a gt3 Ginetta to pump out the tank they don't last very long because the pump is pumping to an open orifice. We now have a restriction in one of the fittings so that the pump has a chance to build some pressure.

welshpug

that does look like its for a carb setup, though most dont use one and rely on purely a mechanicl cam driven pump.

the original gti pumps flow a lot more than that and at a lot higher pressure.

HERMAN

Bloody Iphones

I believe that it is not good for the high pressure (injection) pumps to feed the swirl pot because there is no back pressure. Thus causing the pump to over speed and wear out quickly.

So I am wondering if these low pressure pick up pumps would fit into the standard intank housing with one of Toms adaptors?

That way the swirl pot will be feed by a low pressure pick up pump and then you can have the high pressure pump after the swirl pot feeding the rail.

Just a thought.

welshpug

itll fit but it doesn't flow enough I doubt

allanallen

If it's used to fill a decent size swirl pot I'd imagine it'll flow enough, with it being low pressure it may not 'swirl' so much though?! I guess you've still got the return line from the rail to help you out there.

As long as it's a 39mm OD pump it'll fit in the housings I've made up (like toms).

As regards to the standard pump as a lift pump, there will Certainly be back pressure once the pots full (most of the time) and both the lift pump and the rail return are trying to push all the fuel back down the tank return!

Failing pumps in this configuration isn't a common occurrence as far as I'm aware? The problem you mention makes sense but not really relevant here IMO.

What pumps do the ginettas use? Something trick or a ford one?

HERMAN

They run Bosch motorsport pumps.

I see what you mean about the swirl pot but with it having a 8mm return pipe to the tank and feeding the other pump. Do think it will still be able to build up the kind of pressure it would normally be delivering if it was feeding the rail? It must be ok because it seem like loads of people have done it.

allanallen

It won't be anything like 3bar biu it's obviously enough not to kill the pumps.

Gavin Waddell

Hey tom

I'm in the process of fitting a new pump in my fuel tank and wanted to use you thread as a bit of a guide, but the photos don't work any more ( thank you photo bucket).Was just wondering how much of the pump you had protruding from the bottom of the original pump holder?

Thanks Gavin