• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tom Fenton

Favourite Tools

flyfisher

Fav tool is my devillbiss pro clearcoat spraygun lays down clearcoat like no other

johnnyboy666

One of my current favourites, a 'manual' bearing/seal driver, can knock a wheel bearing out in 30 second with a few well placed lump hammer hits.

Also, the individual collars (not sure if thats the right term) are handy for stacking underneath bearings when fitting hub flanges. I'm sure they'd be really handy for use with a press too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-11PC-Professional-Wheel-Aluminium-Bearing-Race-Seal-Driver-Set-Garage-Tool-/261812812456?hash=item3cf5427aa8:g:FE0AAOSwBahVBZhx

Also, those cone shaped stepper drill bits. I'd be lost without them! and they're cheap enough to not care if they get blunt. Infinitely quicker at drilling stuff out than changing bits 15 times

Honourable mention to heavy duty nitrile gloves. The cost of them is offset by the amount I save on swarfega!

juice willis

the one "tool" I couldn't do without is my selection of scaffold poles. Fit perfectly on my sacrificial wrench, never had a bolt I couldn't undo or at worse shear off :P

Tom Fenton

36829337016_b3e270e670_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36876889041_07f72f20d7_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

New treat for myself. I love tools! Crimpers for doing battery cables. I've messed about for years trying to terminate these lugs by crimping in the vice or soldering. These make a great job in seconds.

• Like 3

barneys66

Bringing this one back up as I collected these today - think they're going to be a new fave!

25469929877_538c33aff5_z.jpg

pugdamo
On 04/09/2017 at 10:13 AM, Tom Fenton said:

36829337016_b3e270e670_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36876889041_07f72f20d7_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

New treat for myself. I love tools! Crimpers for doing battery cables. I've messed about for years trying to terminate these lugs by crimping in the vice or soldering. These make a great job in seconds.

Didn't notice this last time, I'm looking into replacing my battery leads, is this something you would be into making up? No worries if not, just thought I'd ask as things I have had off you or seen you make have always been top notch, I'd rather pay you than someone that doesn't really care. 

Tom Fenton
29 minutes ago, pugdamo said:

Didn't notice this last time, I'm looking into replacing my battery leads, is this something you would be into making up? No worries if not, just thought I'd ask as things I have had off you or seen you make have always been top notch, I'd rather pay you than someone that doesn't really care. 

Drop me a pm with what you need and we can sort something out I’m sure.

Cheers

jamie_1992

Two of my favourite draws, I think I have an addiction 

CE107E20-CD74-4494-BC43-E382FDC4F1C2.jpeg

Robbiedundy

Can anyone recommend me an AC/DC Tig welder? Never done it before, quite fancy learning :)

Edited by Dundy53

Kane

Budget? 

Plenty of chinese units sold by UK firms with reasonable warranty (2-5 years) which you can pick up for under £1500 with pedal. They’re all relatively the same pieces of kit just rebadged/painted different colours. Parweld, thermal arc, Jasic, stealth, r-tech etc. are some examples. Over and above this you’re looking at more professional sets which add at least a grand onto the above price unless you can pick up a steal secondhand. 

I’m actually just about to order a Stealth Digi-tig 200 ac/dc along with a load of new kit from Welding Supplies Direct. If you head over to migwelding forum and search for the user “Tom Orrow L” (from the above company) he’s been mega helpful in assisting me with what kit I should be looking at in my budget. Worked out quite a bit cheaper than other companies I checked with as well. 

Robbiedundy

Not sure to be honest, have been looking for a second hand one for a while but no luck locally, aye I've seen the ones you've listed recommended alot on the migwelding forum, will just have to stop being so tight and go same route as you I think, cheers

Kane

The stealth unit is certainly the cheapest option of the lot and although they don’t have as big a following the reviews I have found have all been good. I think it’s the only unit you’ll pickup with a foot pedal for sub £1k. So with that you can easily kit yourself out with all the other PPE, consumables and gas to get you going for about the same price as say the thermal arc with pedal and a decent lid. 

Tom Fenton

Personally I think there is a lot of snobbery around TIG welders. For a hobby user then the cheaper machines are likely more than adequate. As a learner welder you aren’t going to be skilled enough to tell the difference anyway. My TIG was less than £500 brand new. Badged “Rehmann” purporting to be German I have no illusion that it’s anything but Chinese. For what it’s worth the control panel has identical controls to an R-Tech and any number of other makes.

A quick look on eBay shows plenty of machines below £500. As a beginner that’s what I’d buy. Be realistic about how much you will use it.

The best purchase you can make is a proper 3M Speedglas screen. Speed of reaction and clarity is very good, both of which help you see what you are doing which is important in TIG work. The cheapo versions are just that.

Done by a self taught welder with a sub £500 TIG!

26761238468_5be6c37ec4_b.jpg

Ozymandis

Tom, You got 10 out of 10 on that one. Well done.

Robbiedundy

Cheers Tom, I was speaking to one of the fitters at our work the other day and he also has a cheap Chinese one and said there's absolutely nothing wrong with it so that's what I'm gonna go for, like you say for all I'll be using it for there's no point getting one of the more expensive ones

Back to favourite tools, just bought a new 150L wolf compressor off eBay at a pretty good price, makes life so much easier having all the air tools 

wicked

I kind of agree with Tom's point on Tig welders; if spend some money; buy a proper helmet, 

Myself I have 2 tig welders; mid range DC tig, compact 220v, 160amps and big old lumpy Norweld 300amps, 380v, pulse tig. 

The Norweld is really old and heavy, so not very portable and the HF start is not brilliant. But the arc is much more stable than the new small one. 

So if you don't need your tig to be portable, you can also pick an old one for peanuts and have an excellent machine.

In practice I use the new one, because it's portable and good enough for my limit skills... 

Edited by wicked

Tom Fenton
18 minutes ago, Dundy53 said:

My opinion is that you are paying a lot of money there for a basic machine because they are (on paper) offering a 5yr warranty. Looking at the sellers legal details its a warehouse/office in London and a spurious looking overseas phone number, I'd personally be sceptical as to whether that 5yr warranty would really stand up in the event you needed it.

Its a basic machine as it does not have pulsed current capability, AC balance or a foot pedal.

If you look at this one as an example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-DC-TIG-WELDER-ALI-S-TEEL-Tig-200-P-WITH-PULSE-foot-pedal-3000-now-sold/332958105313?hash=item4d85d97ee1:g:LPUAAOSw44BYh2Zq:rk:26:pf:0

It has both pulse which is useful when welding ally, and a foot pedal included. Yes its in a basic looking case as opposed to a flashy one but I'd be 99% confident to say that what is inside them is very similar if not identical. UK address and phone number is on the advert, Limited company, and a quick look on companies house shows they have been going 15-odd years and gives the directors home address.

Robbiedundy

Cheers for the help Tom, appreciate it :D

Richie-Van-GTi

I bought one of these not long back

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAWK-SINGLE-1-PHASE-220v-220A-AC-DC-MMA-TIG-ARC-PULSE-HF-INVERTER-WELDING-WELDER/291052181881?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D14d6e29e57dd446bbf3d531ec2ee120f%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D153010302970%26itm%3D291052181881&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Been spot on with stainless and aluminium. It came with a normal hand trigger but as its on its own lead its a doddle to put a foot pedal on it, I havent as I prefer the hand trigger for the stuff I have been doing....which is basically practicing. Picture of my first attempt at welding aluminium :P

As above though, the screen / mask / helmet however you want to name it makes all the difference, Weldability doe really nice ones, I got the R-Tech XL for around £75 delivered. Bigger screen, excellent response and really good clairty. Highly reccomend it.

My favourite tool is either the 2 ton forklift at work or my Snap on impact gun. Both makes jobs a hell of a lot easier.

46826687_335455777007381_3484850199556259840_n.jpg

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

Robbiedundy

Thread resurrection B)

As for the tig I ended up getting a second hand parweld 200amp ac/dc locally, perfect for what I need!

Not so much my favourite tool but recently started collecting some vintage Snap On tools, it's interesting to think about what they could've been used for - alot were imported from the US for WW2

Here's a 'ferret' set from the 40s I think

20230128_111308.thumb.jpg.4396eecfca985a1b99bfbe84fc20e093.jpg

20230128_111314.thumb.jpg.bf6baa3de68a30f1fe4aa809d738ca66.jpg

lets see your tools! :ph34r:

• Like 1

Tom Fenton
1 hour ago, Dundy53 said:

Thread resurrection B)

As for the tig I ended up getting a second hand parweld 200amp ac/dc locally, perfect for what I need!

Not so much my favourite tool but recently started collecting some vintage Snap On tools, it's interesting to think about what they could've been used for - alot were imported from the US for WW2

Here's a 'ferret' set from the 40s I think

20230128_111308.thumb.jpg.4396eecfca985a1b99bfbe84fc20e093.jpg

20230128_111314.thumb.jpg.bf6baa3de68a30f1fe4aa809d738ca66.jpg

lets see your tools! :ph34r:

If you search on the net, there is a chart that allows you to date Snap On stuff from a unique symbol stamped in that they changed every year. 

• Thanks 1