• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

[Body_Work] 1991 Gti Steel Grey Detailing Progress Thread

ATK

Four weeks of daily use for the Pug has just come to an end, when my Audi has been in having some stuff done.

Here's a little pic of them both!

MOT next month and a gearbox oil change for the Pug.

She's just ticked over 186,500 miles.

2873B11C-EDC0-4E5C-B348-E025CF8F5AC7.jpg

3B1BBBCD-BDCF-4135-98E8-4C210536EFC0.jpg

ATK

MOT passed with no advisories today and she also had an oil change, gearbox oil change, and new handbrake cables.

• Like 1

ATK

Dent to roof line after my ladder accident all repaired by Justin Mr Dent South Wales - great job done.

Pain in the arse having to take the headlining out beforehand but there you go.

Car being used regularly, what is strange is not having to do any work on it!

Hankering for another project to am tempted to foray into MK1 Golf GTI territory to compliment the 205...! Just a pipe dream though as can't really justify it!

ATK

So the 205 has just finished 6 weeks of daily duties and aside from a leaky caliper hasnt missed a beat. Just ticked over 188k miles and cleaned and back in the garage :)

F8AA82D5-48F7-4793-9766-F129EF6E52DA.jpg

• Like 1

Kane

A garage to compliment the car, Top work!

ATK

Nice little feature in this months Practical Classics magazine ????????A976166D-4561-454D-9D91-C10F02EE8C30.jpg

Pugleyrich

I saw this in the shops and was going to comment but couldn't find the thread. Great little article at the back. Car is still looking good!

ATK

Four years ago yesterday I bought H853 DBD!

Time flies, she’s back on daily duties for the moment. 189k miles...roll on 200k

Full service to do next just waiting for parts from Miles to arrive! 

ATK

Not much to report really, gave her a full service a couple of weeks ago (oil, filter, plus, HT leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs) and all is well. Since initial expenditure in the first couple of years there's been very little maintenance or repair needed, other than normal servicing. Great car, and still enjoy it just as much to this day!

robdesmond

Hello Alex,

You did an amazing job getting hold of all the spares you needed. I have just bought a 1992 1.9 in Sorrento Green and after 26 years it's looking quite neglected with missing/broken trim. Can you tell me your best sources for stuff? I would like to embark on a mission back to OEM!

Kind regards,

Rob

ATK

Hi mate, most were from farmer on here, dave 205 nuts, and from miles pug racing plus alot of internet searching on old part numbers for dealers abroad. Good luck, some parts are a pain to find - luckily the peugeot museum now has reproduction parts which werent around  when i did mine.

robdesmond

Thank you Alex.

ATK

5 1/2 years on since buying and a fresh MOT this month - no advisories. Not suprised as I only did 250 miles this year. Must drive her more...!

ATK

Stumbled across an old 1999 Topgear episode that has my 205 in the opening scene and the end!

• Like 1

ATK

Decided to start using the car daily so been doing some bits and bobs over the last few weeks.

Just ticked over 189k miles and aside from MOT and oil changes haven’t really done much over the last few years other than a few bits and bobs. 

Cut off all the old headlamp panel earths and recrimped onto ring terminals and also did the inner wing earth. Much better now, lights brighter and elec windows faster! 

changed the old knackered washer pump tubing and spray nozzles and greased up the wiper mech. Fitted new washer motor. 

fixed some dodgy stereo wiring as I had lost the left channel. 

stripped out the heater blower and refurbed it - nice and quiet and fast now.

fitted some new front speakers - pioneers.

Next jobs are:

- fit a 106 wiper motor for faster wipers

- adjust clutch as the bite point is pretty low

- oil and filter change

- investigate slight coolant leak from underneath thermostat housing

- considering a new rear beam as my existing one is slightly lower on the passenger side, which is odd, its a new ish beam from ssp engineering four years or so ago

Edited by ATK

ATK

Oh and also need to

- fit a new wiper stalk as mine if playing up a bit

- either repair or replace my clarion tape deck as the left channel is quieter than the right

ATK

So the Pug has just finished 4 weeks of daily duties!

Few jobs done today

- Adjusted clutch as the bite was low

- Took apart my Clarion as I lost the left channel again, repaired the balance control

- Replaced wiper stalk with a brand new one as the washer motor wasn’t kicking in all the time. All sorted now!

- New tyres all round - Michelin Pilot Sport 3’s. Ditched the toyo t1rs as they were awful in the wet. 

Got a new Bosal backbox arriving soon which is next on the list together with a quick oil and filter change.

ATK

Oil and filter change this week

Also fitted a new Bosal backbox, the old Klarius was buggered after only 5 years. 

Need to re do the Bosal this weekend as it’s blowing at the join...argh!

AF6EC723-25B7-4832-B13B-DE74D4835A1F.jpeg

ATK

Been a while since last post, haven’t done many miles! Passed MOT last week with an advisory for slight corrosion on front brake pipes so not bad for 189,500 miles.

Spent a day sorting the messy front headlight wiring and doing some new connections. Dim dip has never worked since I had it so that’s next on the list.

also my driving lamps are clicking on correctly with the main beams, but are not clicking back off so need to investigate that! 

Leslie green

Always a few jobs need doing every year , still looking well though 

ATK

Rediscovered the love of pissing about in the garage fixing bits of late! 

fitted a new dim dip resistor and my dim dip is working for the first time since I’ve had it.

tweaked the CO to 1.75% at my local friendly mot place so it’s running well engine wise. 

battery used to drain if not used for a few weeks, treated her to a new battery and then did a parasitic drain test using a multimeter and pulling fuses. Fuse 7 was the indiciation - my bloody boot light switch had broken causing the boot light to be continually on! Took the bulb out while I wait for a new switch to arrive and battery drain when ignition off is 0.02a which I understand is normal - so looks like that was the culprit!

have an issue with driving lamps that they are staying on after they come on with high beams.

fitted a new indicator stalk today (brand new only £20 from ebay france), relay and new headlight and driving lamp bulbs but still not fixed so I’m at a loss with that one.

still need to fix that, and my map light is not working so need to investigate that, it worked slightly earlier but conked out again and hasnt worked since, any ideas anyone?

going to also fit some new rear speakers shortly too. 

Also got a new thermostat to rad hose from baker bm to fit as I have a slight coolant leak which I think is coming from that area. 

Passenger window is slow to wind back uo using passenger side switch, so a new switch is on order for that. 

few bits to sort and tinker with, suppose I better start driving it more too as it’s the cars 30th birthday this May!

Edited by ATK

ATK

Fixed the driving lamps! Had the connectors on the h4 connector the wrong way around! Doh!

also fixed my map light and adjusted the rubber on the seats - no more wobbly seats nice and easy fix,  wish I had done that years ago! 

ATK

Fixed my passenger door switch for the courtesy light today - took about an hour to fish the wire out where it had fallen i to the pillar behind! 

map light fixed, connectors needed tightening.

new Pioneer rear speakers fitted.

Also treated it to a new Battery. 

Passenger window winding sorted by a new switch.

Also had took out all the front lights and examined the headlamp panels and inner wings. All in surprisingly good shape especially the headlamp panels. Cleaned up the inner wings and did a little patch repair on a small hole on the offside inner wing. Doesn’t warrant a bigger job as the rest is in good shape but no doubt will need doing properly in a few years time. 

also gave the engine bay a bit of a cleanup as I’ve never cleaned the engine bay sunce I’ve had it! 

still got an issue with my bootlight staying on - wonder whether it is the earth wire to the switch in the boot shorting somewhere - I think the circuit is by design “always on” and the tailgate switch effectively “un earths” the circuit. Fitted a new switch but still staying on so might need to wire a new earth wire from bootlight unit to the switch.

pretty happy with the recent work done - in particular everything out front is earthed properly, any bits of dodgy wiring has been sorted and  everything is working how it should ...for now!

no idea if anyone reads this thread anymore and they are probably pretty boring updates but figured I’d continue it as a sort of diary of work undertaken being as I started the thread 7 years ago :)

Dale

I read this thread mate, it's help me out on quite a few occasions in the past. Cheers.