• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

Robbiedundy

@cybernck yeah I did, I'm sure he'll be joining up when he gets started with it 

@AlexRS2782 Haha that's my dad and the buyer, we dropped the 205 off for him. Couldn't believe it when he bought a matching jacket for the pickup though :lol:

jeremy

Filled up the gearbox with oil, new coolant, wiper blades, and wired in the dashcam. Wheels finally back on. Next stop MOT

20171203_160905.jpg

jeremy

Booked in for an MOT on Monday thanks to Kieran aka Jackerer. Organised insurance with full breakdown cover. The funny thing is the excess is only £50 but windscreen excess is £100.

dobboy

Nothing, apart from i'm not long in from building up an oscillating fan and sitting it in front of the 205 in my garage.

Someone told me if you can keep the air moving you won't get condensation, which i get, on the inside of my garage roof, i have my doubts and at c. £4.50 to run a month it's worth a shot.

The car is under cover but i've been struggling to keep the winter elements at bay the last few winters, even though it's garaged. Very annoying when brand new shinny bolts oxidise etc.

I'm going to sell it (No reasonable offer refused!), i've done 100 miles max in it over the last two years iirc (a lot to do with our weather being soooooo 5hit), and I would like my garage space back.

acox99

Took the seat cover off the drivers seat today to remove and replace the bolster only to reveal a previously repair attempt. 

IMG_7259.JPG

jeremy

Replaced the water sensor and at the same time changed the metal coolant pipe in the drivers wheel arch. All great but now the washers have stopped working again argh! Hopefully just a loose connection.

jeremy
20 hours ago, acox99 said:

Took the seat cover off the drivers seat today to remove and replace the bolster only to reveal a previously repair attempt. 

IMG_7259.JPG

When ever I have done this I have always put gaffer tape over the top to try and give the foam a fighting chance against the cloth or leather wearing it away.

Iansurf

Fitted new oil breather hoses then gave it a good thrashing around the country lanes 

jeremy

Bless her she failed the MOT. I guess after 10years just one ball joint I can let the old girl off!

jackherer

She got you there and back in the snow which is probably a bigger achievement than (almost) passing the MOT!

I broke down in the car park so I can't say the same...

jeremy

The funny thing Kieran is we failed on exactly the same thing. 

jackherer

That was pretty weird, it's been a day of coincidences for sure, what were the chances of my spare wishbones all being nearsides too...?

Tom Fenton
15 hours ago, jackherer said:

That was pretty weird, it's been a day of coincidences for sure, what were the chances of my spare wishbones all being nearsides too...?

Were you really lucky or did you have my usual luck and you needed the other side??!

jackherer

I knew I had three new 309 wishbones that were all the same side but I couldn't remember which side they were, it turns out they are all nearsides and that's what we both need so it is very lucky really, I expected them to be wrong when I dug them out.

It doesn't normally work out like that, I'm surprised I even managed to find them at all, in fact I'm surprised I remembered I had them in the first place!

jackherer

It looks like I spoke too soon, the three wishbones I have are slightly shorter than the 309 one Jeremy removed from his 205. Can someone remind me how large the difference in length is between 205 and 309 wishbones?

welshpug

10mm, or look at the ribs, 309 are plain, 205 have almost a lattice type pattern.

jackherer

OK so they're 205 ones in 309 packaging then, I was remembering it as being a bigger difference for some reason, 25mm or so but now I think about it that is the rear beam difference per side.

I thought the strengthening ribs were always present on 205 wishbones and usually (but not always) absent on 309 ones? E.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253075225446

Edit: I just noticed Compbrake are reproducing them now - http://www.compbrake.com/product/peugeot-309-wishbones-pair/ - they have the ribs and also they say "All components replaceable" which is interesting, I know their adjustable wishbones have a bad reputation but I'm interested to hear what people think of these.

Edited by jackherer

welshpug

they do look longer, iirc the hole is in the same place and all the extra length outside it.

interesting that statement of replaceable parts, I have seen a spherical joint fitted into a chunkier aftermarket arm.

i dont think the beam is that much wider, 25mm total sounds about right, mind you if it is 25 a side that explains why theyre horrible with 309 beam, so dull and understeery.

106 is 40mm narrower than a 205, its the roll bar that does it :D

Edited by welshpug

Anthony
23 minutes ago, jackherer said:

I thought the strengthening ribs were always present on 205 wishbones and usually (but not always) absent on 309 ones? E.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253075225446

All the wishbones that I've seen have followed the ribbed = 205 and plain = 309 scheme that Mei mentioned above.  Difference is circa 10mm as mentioned.

Leet205

Changed my wiper stalk as the washer jet function was quite temperamental  and modified an ignition barrel so the car is back to 1 key does all locks.

AlexRS2782

Checked on the Pug after the last couple of days of freezing temps.

Discovered that the cold weather appears to have buggered whatever life was left in the rear window & tailgate seals due to water getting in and having to scrape the inside of the tailgate screen as that had frozen over about as badly as the outside was this morning and there was a nice frozen puddle behind the passenger seat which I haven't had in years :( 

Also found the car appears to be dead as although the battery had been inside on charge over the weekend and there was power feeding everything in the car including locking, dials, blowers, etc, the car made no effort to start :(  Cant hear anything from the fuel pump and no clunk or anything when the key turned in the ignition :(

Not the best time of year, but it looks like there will be some expenditure next year now - and if I'm going to be having to completely replace window seals (not cheap from France) it looks as though it might be worth me looking into decent resto costs and get paintwork / bodywork, etc, sorted at the same time as the other bits I had pnanned early next year like sorting the exhaust, alloys, etc - all good fun.

Edited by AlexRS2782

dobboy

Sorned it today, only done about 30 miles this year. 

On a more positive note, after about a 14hr round trip driving i finally got this bad boy home.... Rental car down, and drove it home, just in time for some heavy snow. 

2liu3br.jpg

64m8mf.jpg

2pzzk2s.jpg

2lieuti.jpg

Bakes100

Removed all old underseal / seam sealer / grot - removed / treated all areas of surface rust - 1 coat of epoxy mastic - fresh seam sealer - another coat of epoxy mastic*

* - this all took much longer than a day

20171212_221851.thumb.jpg.cd7921d49e950129578a6357fac7663a.jpg

• Like 1

jeremy

Been a day of highs and lows.

Firstly I put the new wishbone on, phoned the MOT test centre for the retest. Drove car a few hundred yards and it felt like I was driving on jelly lol!

Get back home and thankfully the problem was very obvious as the tracking was way off. Did it by eye and she she went like a dream to the test centre 25miles away, and only bloody past. Got to within a mile of home and she dies.

So I get my mum to pick me up and my neighbour kindly helps me tow it home.

Added to all this my daughter told me the wrong time to collect my grandson, so he had an extra hour of Nusery school.

Edited by jeremy
Spelling

205Rallee
7 hours ago, dobboy said:

Sorned it today, only done about 30 miles this year. 

On a more positive note, after about a 14hr round trip driving i finally got this bad boy home.... Rental car down, and drove it home, just in time for some heavy snow. 

2liu3br.jpg

64m8mf.jpg

2pzzk2s.jpg

2lieuti.jpg

Good choice. We have a cherry (misano) red 5 door one on poverty 17 inch wheels, the roads are too terrible for big wheels around here. Goes like stink, decent ride on

the magnetic dampers and grips and grips. Front tyres lasted 18,000 miles, averaged 34 mpg on Tesco momentum, absolutely no warranty issues and no problems with the clutch. I love it as it looks like a girls car and very few realise what it is, so everyone lets me out at junctions etc. The paint is bullet proof, unlike our Golf GTD. Was tempted by a 208 Peugeot Sport...but.....it's a Peugeot and it looks like a seven grand car.