• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

woodymi16

Had a new back box made & fitted (to use as a spare) to get through track day drive by noise limitspost-17804-0-62602300-1508263298_thumb.jpg

Edited by woodymi16

jeremy

Dropped off my rims to be powder coated. I shouldn't laugh but the shell is far from tidy, however I thought what's the point putting brand new tyres on sad looking rims as eventually I'd like to get a painted anyway.

jeremy

At this rate divorce is on the cards lol! Put rear discs and pads back after thoroughly cleaning the discs. Removed the passengers drive shaft, and put a replacement window in. Finally ordered tyres.

jeremy

A sad day only got to put the number plates back on, and after seeing the front end without one for many years it now just looks pure wrongage!

jackherer

I know what you mean, I put plates on my mates car the other day for the first time in at least ten years.

What tyres did you get in the end?

AlexRS2782

Started making a list of insurance companies to call on Monday to get quotes as the insurance is due in early November.

welshpug

hacked away at the brambles that were growing over it.

Tom Fenton

Technically yesterday but in the last 24hours!

Won a motor club point to point rally on map 110, got the maximum allowed 24 points and back to the start with 10 minutes to spare

• Like 2

jeremy

In the end I bought 195 50 15 Goodyear efficient Grip from Black Circles for £238ish for 5. The wheel refurbishers are fitting them for free.

Edited by jeremy
  • Like 1

barneys66

Started making a list of insurance companies to call on Monday to get quotes as the insurance is due in early November.

Try RH Classics, if not already on your list. Unbeatable for me.

AlexRS2782

Try RH Classics, if not already on your list. Unbeatable for me.

Ta - another option to call :)

toolie72

Got a retro 80/90’s Peugeot carbolite 10 speed racer for when car “fails to proceed”

barneys66

Went to get it out of the garage after a few weeks of inactivity, and I think the starter may be goosed.

Autosolo tomorrow so hoping just a battery issue, but we'll see. Fingers crossed a good charge sorts it..

jackherer

Try hot wiring the solenoid terminal on the starter before you condemn it.

welshpug

Took the engine and box out, dropped the exhaust off, not sure why I remember things taking ages, barely took 2 hours plodding along.

dawning

Pressed driveshaft out of hub after removing the hub complete with driveshaft, it's an skf driveshaft there was no rust on the splines but the thing was properly stuck I think it's a different design to the original causing it to wedge itself into the hub. I messed the thread end up trying to hammer it out as I was in a bad mood and not thinking straight trying to get it done quick as I need to get it back on the road. Spent about 3 hours with with Dremel and files trying to make the thread usable , eventually sorted it with valve grinding paste, the hub nut and a lot of wrist action. On the plus side I think I've finally cracked the method of removing hubs from the ball joints on the base model which has caused me blood sweat and tears every time, remove the inner arm bolt, loosen ARB end and get a friend to push the hub in and pull down the ball joint with all the might you have! On the minus the ball joint holders are not round at all, probably from my previous attempts so will have to take them off again and take them to bridgecraft if they still do them although I'm nowhere near them. If you are wondering if I was just doing this for fun, I replaced the dampers with b4 and gave everything a clean up chucked some rust converter and sprayed with stone chip so should keep the rust at bay for a few weeks. Sorry but I just had to vent my frustration somehow! Almost started hating the car today.

welshpug

did you jack both sides up?

dawning

Yes

Ozymandis

Pressed driveshaft out of hub after removing the hub complete with driveshaft, it's an skf driveshaft there was no rust on the splines but the thing was properly stuck I think it's a different design to the original causing it to wedge itself into the hub. I messed the thread end up trying to hammer it out as I was in a bad mood and not thinking straight trying to get it done quick as I need to get it back on the road. Spent about 3 hours with with Dremel and files trying to make the thread usable , eventually sorted it with valve grinding paste, the hub nut and a lot of wrist action. On the plus side I think I've finally cracked the method of removing hubs from the ball joints on the base model which has caused me blood sweat and tears every time, remove the inner arm bolt, loosen ARB end and get a friend to push the hub in and pull down the ball joint with all the might you have! On the minus the ball joint holders are not round at all, probably from my previous attempts so will have to take them off again and take them to bridgecraft if they still do them although I'm nowhere near them. If you are wondering if I was just doing this for fun, I replaced the dampers with b4 and gave everything a clean up chucked some rust converter and sprayed with stone chip so should keep the rust at bay for a few weeks. Sorry but I just had to vent my frustration somehow! Almost started hating the car today.

To remove a TCA type hub carrier, remove roll bar nut and large washer,remove inner pivot bolt,remove ball joint clamp bolt, pull inner end down and out of subframe bracket.

Then push hub assembly away from car and pull TCA off the roll bar end `mushroom` bushes.

Now the arms just dangling from the split clamp, hold the inner end in one hand,just a tap or two on its top with your universal tapping stick and its out.

No stress, ovalling or damage to hub carrier, the roll bar end `mushroom` bushes will be worn and baggy anyway so arent a problem to flex, use new lemforder or original ones all the rest are crap.

One person only needed and not a lot of heaving. This assumes the shafts been freed in the hub splines. If not be careful not to pull the cv joint too far or you will be picking up greasey rollers and having to reassemble it, or pulling it out of the diff and spilling gear oil.

Reverse to reassemble, ie do ball joint pin in hub carrier first.

• Like 1

dawning

Amazing information, that should be in the Haynes :) Thank you, I hope this helps others as well.

• Like 1

dobboy

Took it out for half an hour whist its sunny and dry.

Second time out since April iirc.

steve@cornwall

Put some chemical metal around the exhaust join on the CTI, Filled it with oil after discovering the sump plug threads were stripped (held temporarily with no crush washer but plenty of gasket sealant) and fired it up for the first time in God knows how long. Moved it across the car park to clear the weeds underneath and discovered the fuel return pipe is leaking quite badly.Still, it starts, moves under its own steam and holds water......result.

toolie72

Dropped sump plug in bucket when changing oil

Ffs

Again

welshpug

thats what the magnet on a stick is for.

or a funnel with a neck smaller than a sump plug for the drum it goes in to take it for disposal.