• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Plumbob

[Car_Restoration] Scruffy But Original 1.9 Gti - Restoration

dobboy

PB, i think the front sits the same as mine, B4's, Eibach -30's, GTI6.

I'm not sure i could even bounce the back end on mine.

I've just this minute posted a pic on the thread of my work that'll show you roughly (cars sitting on a slope) the height of mines at the front for comparison.

Need to remember to clean my iphone photo lense as my car is quite shiny in the flesh for a white one.

Plumbob

Ok I'll take a look. When I say bounce I mean about 1cm of bounce. Ha!

Plumbob

Got the bonnet back from the bodyshop today so I put that back on. Also got all of the last bits of dashboard back from storage and so its getting very close to MOT time.....

4522F206-71D3-43AE-8B35-19199310CE89_zps

34B0ABFD-BB1E-4AD8-B478-8285F71CFA3D_zps

Don't worry detail fans I've got the GTI badge for the steering wheel.. I'll fit it once the tracking has been checked.

Even got my Clarion radio fitted which works fine, also need to get some new speakers as the originals are totally shot to bits. I'll be keeping the yellow sockets and transplanting them to some new ones.

dobboy

Looking very good PB, inside and out.

First time i've noticed winder blanks on the door cards.

Best make sure your confident of your bonnet catch alignment before any high speed pursuits!

Are you treating it to a new badge set at the back?

dale205mills

Looking good pal, going to be nice having some more 205's again in Portsmouth.

I better get moving on my topaz gti6 as now there is a few about to have some laughs with.

Plumbob

Cheers lads. I've actually stuck the old badges back on for the time being as they weren't too bad. There's a bit of a list growing in my mind of a few bits that need to be "tweaked" in order for it to be a bit better.. Things like the sunroof trims, rear window seals, interior light / sunroof handle surround all need to be changed at some stage this year. The dash is all fine (which is nice) I was able to raid a late base model in a local scrapyard and replaced all the bits of mine that were broken. even the pop up coin tray works!

I just want to get it tested and start using it and then I'll make gradual improvements. I'm still not 100% convinced by the whole engine conversion if I'm honest and I have been toying with the idea of a hot 8v instead. My original engine needs stripping so I'll mull that one over in the coming months. If I REALLY like the 6 lump then maybe I'll have a play with that one, depends if this hot rattle noise goes away or decides to linger around. If it stays I may whip the head off and see what's what.

One thing I am struggling with is the rear window weather seal. I had to cut the old one out as quite a bit of it was stuck to the silicone which is holding in the rear window. Trouble is that seems to have left remains of the old one in there and I can't get the weather seal back in (I got one from the same car mentioned above in the scrapyard). Not 100% sure how to tackle it at the moment and its stopping me fitting the rear spoiler for the time being..... Mmmmm

Also none of the rear bumper lights work. Fog, reverse and numberplate lights are dead. I'm guessing their earth comes from the multi block in the rear wing so I'll check that out this weekend and see if I can get them to spring into life.

All in all though I'm very happy and yes Dale it would be nice to have some kind of South meet. I'm moving house soon and when that's done I'll be able to get on and use the car.... Can't wait!

Plumbob

Had a both a good and frustrating evening on the car! Finally got the reversing lights working... Took a while but after poking about with the meter and following the wires from what I thought was the reversing light switch all the way back to the ECU I was thinking .... "Something's not right here"... Checked the wiring diagram and it turns out I had the inlet air temp plug and reverse light swapped round (what a tw*t)... :-(

Anyway...... Tomorrow I'll be fitting a Toad Ai606 so god knows what I'll get up to! I've already got most of the wires sussed as they seem to be the same as the ones I disconnected the old system from when I bought the car. I've already found the central locking wires so I reckon it'll be ok. The time is gonna come from making it nice and tidy ....

MOT booked for Tuesday!

0AF14D71-36D0-4FBE-9935-09393E1CC3D9_zps

Edited by Plumbob

dobboy

PB, you'll still be scratching your head to that wiring when my flywheels sitting at 7000rpm! :D

The tables turned in my favour when you brought that out! lol

Plumbob

Oi less of that! Haha. You've got until 1st feb.... It'll be taxed and tested then.. :-)

dobboy

1st of Feb..... are you up'in the ante? lol

What box you using btw? and did you change/lighten your crank pulley? (i never bought a lightened one and don't intend to, but i'm gonna compare the weights of a GTI6 v's 8v v's a lightened one, then either stick the 8v one on or the GTI6 one depending on how much difference there is.... (it's just a thought).

I know the 8v CW pulley has less ribs but i don't see there being a problem fitting it if the correct belt is selected.

Plumbob

1.9 box. Peoples opinion seems to vary between "they're ok" and "they're awful". If I don't like it maybe I'll look at getting a VTS box. I do have an ally pulley yes...

42307698-4E4D-480C-B5BB-74A43A158093_zps

dobboy

I'm taking the 1.9 box off, i didn't find it awful, but had a sit in a GTI6 with a VTS box and felt a big difference.

Here's what a 1.9 box is like (from about 2mins ish)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o38_mCilts

BTW what you doing with engine at that angle! you should fit some temporary padding to the bay to save your paint job?

Plumbob

I wanted to have a go at making it RWD :-).

Nah it's just how it happened to be when I took the photo. I did spin it round 90 degrees before bolting it in don't panic! I managed to get it in there with just one little scratch.

jackherer

1.9 box. Peoples opinion seems to vary between "they're ok" and "they're awful".

It depends on the engine, they're OK on a GTI6 and awful on an Mi16. And they are good on a 1.9 8V funnily enough.

dobboy

I had my first GTI6 one in 6 times or more before it went in for the last time, as i was fecking about with the exh manifold.

I took it out twice and put it in once in one night lol, and in 1.5hrs, which i thought was record breaker!

I eventually had a quick routine, but can remember it now, in at 7 o'clock with Gbox down, fasten Gbox mount, align and fix O/S mount, and bring Gbox up, rings a bell.

dobboy

It depends on the engine, they're OK on a GTI6 and awful on an Mi16. And they are good on a 1.9 8V funnily enough

I read threads that the gears were very long with a 1.9 box on a GTI6 (not that i really knew what it meant), but then had a seat in one with a 6sp and another with a vts box and it was night and day.

jackherer

They're not great on a GTI6 but on an Mi16 it makes it a proper disappointment, the whole conversion seems like a waste of time.

dobboy

They're not great on a GTI6 but on an Mi16 it makes it a proper disappointment, the whole conversion seems like a waste of time.

Be interested to see how PB's performs with the lightened flywheel and 1.9 box, i wonder if it will be significant how quicker than normal GTI6 flywheel with 1.9 box it will accelerate.

Plumbob

Well I hope it won't make it a waste of time! If it's really crap I'll have a ride in a VTS box'd 205 and a see what I think... As I've said before I just want the thing running as I'm moving house in the next few weeks and don't want the arse ache of having an immobile car in 1000's of bits. At least now it's in one large piece and much easier to move! I'll "develop" it as I go... I hadn't realised that a 1.9 box was such a no no. Feel like I've cocked up and should have seeked out a VTS box from day one...

dobboy

PB , honestly you'll love and it's good, but if you get lots of use out of it you'll want more lol

Plumbob

Ok ta.

So..... Question.... Would the 1.9 box be more suitable again for this type of engine if it had a bit more power? If for instance I had the pistons re-pocketed, cams and bodies would the engine have sufficient grunt to make a 1.9 box work better? Basically what I've said above is in my long term plans and I don't want to put in a VTS box only to find that later on it'll be unsuitable again. I've checked the photo of my crown wheel when I had it in bits doing the diff and it's definitely currently got a 1.9 final drive.

dobboy

PB from what i've read on here the 1.9 box with a 4.4 final drive fitted is the ultimate for a GTI6.

Malc was thinking of trying my 1.9box on his supercharged version, but he's went with VTS box. Not been in it yet to tell you what it's like.

One thing i do/did like about the 1.9 box was you can sit in 3rd i guess between 70-90mph and have plenty fun on the B roads, i'm guessing it's in the engines power band as it's quite responsive to the pedal. Stick with what you have for the time being and get some enjoyment out all this work you've done.

BTW, I got my flywheel fitted at the weekend amongst a few other jobs, not tooo much to do now before it's goes back in, and it's already road legal.

(can you see the big 20/1 shot coming up on the outside yet? :D )

Plumbob

(can you see the big 20/1 shot coming up on the outside yet? :D )

I could be very cruel and mention the engine locking moment you had yesterday when you did your cambelt... but i won't... oh wait.. whoops sorry. :P

You and me will be having a "fly-off" this weekend I reckon... first one to post a photo of their car not stuck in the garage wins!

I got my alarm very very nearly wired in yesterday, the remote locking, indicators, siren and ultrasonics are done, just the bonnet/boot switch and immobiliser side to do next.. may just tuck it up out the way for the MOT and carry on later in the week, i'll see how tomorrow pans out.

dobboy

Lol, i don't think i'll be finished this weekend, still a fair bit of time involved getting it all plumbed up, fluids etc, but you never know! 8)