• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Plumbob

[Car_Restoration] Scruffy But Original 1.9 Gti - Restoration

Plumbob

Yeah my thoughts entirely. I was going to ask the question on here at some point but you've confirmed what I was thinking anyway (that 30A is probably too high). I'll stick a 20A in and I'm sure it'll be fine. It's got to be better than no fuse at all! :unsure:

Edited by Plumbob

Slo

It wont measure properly until its super hot thats what the heater is for.

speno

Nice work squire , glad I inspired you to doo this project :lol:

Just shows you about some of the so called professional garages and how they bodge things

The guy who i got the car from had spent upwards of £3k with spooks

Like you said when removing the engine , it Didn't full me with passion about their handy work esp as they are well known for working on pugs ...

so they should know what they are doing and are not just some shoddy backstreet garage

I think if i want any work doing I would not use spooks after seeing this

Plumbob

You've inspired me for sure. I wear a woolly hat now....

speno

and piss round the back of the garage, to save water :o

Tom Fenton

Spencer once turned up to a meet without his trademark hat on, we did not know who he was?

• Like 1

speno

Spencer once turned up to a meet without his trademark hat on, we did not know who he was?

Some folk say i look like Van Diesel without my hat

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Some folk say i look like Van Diesel without my hat

Van Diesel is about right, a good likeness I think?

peugeot_bipper_petrol_33967.jpg

speno

Dripping sex from every pore ^^

• Like 1

Plumbob

To quote the great man himself... Van Diesel (speno)

post-23982-0-11230200-1397046870_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

speno

To quote the great man himself... Van Diesel (speno)

Some one has just got a new screen saver at work :0)

• Like 1

Plumbob

I've finally (pretty much) finished getting rid of all the original underseal!! What an awful job! I must have used 20 polywheels and 15 wire cup wheels on the angle grinder! Just a couple of awkward sections to tidy up with a wire brush on the electric drill and it'll be fully sorted. It won't be more than an hours work now.

I'm pleased to report that all that grinding has only revealed a handful of areas that need welding. The drivers side headlamp panel has "gone" just along it's edge, There's one patch on the boot floor about 3cm diameter that needs cutting out and a small section where the jack goes under the bonnet. All in all I think I got away lightly!

There's a pretty hefty dent on one of the sills and both of the area's commonly mistaken for jacking points are caved in. I'll have a go at pulling them out I think.

post-23982-0-26224500-1397760002_thumb.jpg

post-23982-0-20310600-1397760003_thumb.jpg

post-23982-0-81249600-1397760003_thumb.jpg

speno

Nice work

Hows your back now ?

I might try a blow torch on mine

Plumbob

My back is fine, my arm and neck ache and I've got a BANGING headache though.

speno

Turn that bloody music down then ;0)

Plumbob

Radio 1 mate. Keepin' down with the kidz.

Plumbob

Finally got back to working on the car! Had the small matter of my wedding to get done in the last few weeks so not had much chance to work on the car. Bought a compressor today as I couldn't face painting the underside of the car with a brush or roller. The compressor should also come in handy later for the engine bay and some body prep.

I have to say I'm really pleased with how its come out! So far I've done the fuel tank pocket, the cross member under the boot floor so I can support the car there, take the rear beam out, then paint the boot floor. Also done both the wheel arches on the drivers side and 99% of the floor pans. Need to put the front suspension back together, get the rear wheel back on and then I can push it outside and spin it round so I can do the other side (bloody pain having a tiny garage).

The paint (epoxy mastic) seems to go on well.. time will tell.....

post-23982-0-91361300-1402523026_thumb.jpg

post-23982-0-61367400-1402523027_thumb.jpg

post-23982-0-22090500-1402523028_thumb.jpg

post-23982-0-91055900-1402523028_thumb.jpg

nveeate

It's looking good. If that's the Epoxy Mastic 121 stuff you can overpaint with body colour...you planning to do this, or leave it black?

dale205mills

Nice to see anther 205 owner in Portsmouth, look forward to seeing it out on the road, this mite sound strange but did you buy that 205 from a road off albert road near southsea as there used to be a black 205 parked down there on and off for years.

Plumbob

It's looking good. If that's the Epoxy Mastic 121 stuff you can overpaint with body colour...you planning to do this, or leave it black?

Evening! I'll just leave it black I think. The car is black anyway. I'm pleased with how it's gone on. Solid as a rock today!

Plumbob

Nice to see another 205 owner in Portsmouth, look forward to seeing it out on the road, this mite sound strange but did you buy that 205 from a road off albert road near southsea as there used to be a black 205 parked down there on and off for years.

Thankyou! No I got it from a lady who lived on Thorney Island (near Emsworth). She'd had it 18 months or so, can't remember now I'll have to dig out the paperwork. She was fed up with piling money into it I think. The rear beam was totally busted, and the engine blew out a huge amount of smoke so she decided to call it quits. She had some seriously large bills for some recent work (cam belt, brakes etc) I'm not surprised she gave up on it, it drove like a right old dog.

I'll have to have a look out for another black one next time I stumble out of the Wine Vaults! :-)

Edited by Plumbob

dale205mills

Thanks for the click reply, that's another little gem to come out from emsworth way, in one of the turnings on your way to Harris's scrap yard there is a nursery that some times have a roller shutter door open with a few 205's in there, it do make you think how many 205's are still out there owned by old people :D There is a old boy with a white 205 gti that you see going along the top of the hill some times.

If you are on your travels one night walk up Lawrence road, which is off albert road and you mite see the black 205, it comes and go's :)

sorry to hi jack your thread.

Plumbob

I've seen the white one with the old guy on top of the hill! I was up there today actually (Micks Monster Burgers) Haha

Plumbob

Can't believe I've not updated this since June!!

To cut a long story short I finally finished the underside, and the car has gone away for a respray. I'm hoping it'll be back maybe the end of next week and rest assured people i'll be straight back on here with some photos to show off the new black paintjob!

Before it went away I managed to get hold of a Phase 1 VTS rack (car had no PAS originally) and I got the front subframe & anti roll bar blasted and powder coated. Only thing I need to finish it off properly is the boot for the PAS ram....mmmmmm, not sure where to get one from...

Also fitted a Quaife diff along with some new bearings, new clutch fork bushes, gearbox input shaft oil seal, and helicoiled one of the gearbox threads that some turkey had snapped one of the engine bolts off in. I managed to drill the remains of the old bolt out but the thread did suffer a bit in the process (the top 5mm of it was already ripped out) so I re-drilled it and fitted a helicoil.. It's got to be better than the NOTHING that was there when I bought the car!

Recently I've changed the cambelt on the GTI-6 engine just as a precaution, and did the water pump while I was there. Got myself a twin type VSS and a plug for it from a scrappy and wired that into the loom which came with the engine so that's ready to go, even managed to get the little heat shield that protects it from the exhaust when I was getting the plug.

I've given my exhaust manifold and downpipe to Miles to be reangled and will be letting Bridgecraft sort out the front hubs as they are looking slightly oval and I'm guessing will only get worse.

The seats and carpet have had some attention, started by giving the carpet a good scrub with warm soapy water and a brush and then to finish it off used a carpet vac to give the seats and carpet a good going over. Had to rebuild the bolster on the drivers side and called on the sewing services of my step mother who remade both of the bits of material that pull the base seat cover tight under the back of the seat. They were both ripped and the foam was showing but they look bloody lovely again now! Not keen on those rings that hold the covers together, what a pain they are!

Next thing on the list is to give the rear beam I bought on here a quick coat of paint to make it look a but more presentable and i'll be ready to put the thing back together again!

post-23982-0-58906600-1409258857_thumb.jpg

post-23982-0-84769700-1409258859_thumb.jpg

post-23982-0-63994200-1409258861_thumb.jpg