• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mrfirepro

[Car_Restoration] My 1989 205 1.9 Gti Restoration Project

mrfirepro

Thought I would get in a quick update as in two weeks time it will be a year since I first started this project.

All the pictures for this update are here

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/mrfirepro/slideshow/205%20projects/7%20sept%2014

Have now received all the items back from the machine shop.

The head has had new guides, valves, piper cam, skim, valve seat re-cut, pressure test and has been re-shimmed.

P1040908_666x500.jpg

P1040919_375x500.jpg

P1040901_666x500.jpg

The only issue I have is that one of the cam caps was knackered so have to find another one (if anyone has one spare I would be grateful... :) )

All con-rods were checked and new pistons & rings were installed

P1040890_666x500.jpg

and the crank was reground.

Not done much to the car itself, managed to find a 23K 205 at a scrap yard and got this almost mint boot insulation

P1040838_666x500.jpg

which when installed looked like this

P1040845_666x500.jpg

Farmer found me a new boot mat....

P1040847_666x500.jpg

when fitted

P1040848_666x500.jpg

I'm pretty much at a standstill until I can get the engine back together and installed, then I can test all the electrics and start getting the interior back together.

Taking the seats to be re-upholstered next week, so hopefully will be ready by the time I get the engine in.

I guess my next update will be on the projects first birthday

mrfirepro

Mini update...

Engine and gearbox has been reassembled and put back in the car

Now came the dreaded first start (third time for me now. :o :o :o )

Connect fuel, cables, AFM, etc etc..

Turned over with disconnected coil and removed plugs, checked oil coming from oil bar over cam...all checked out fine...thankfully

Put plugs back in, connected coil ready for the first turn of the key.........and blow me down......it........STARTED FIRST TIME.. :D :D :D :D :D )

as I've not connected the cooling yet only wanted to run for 10/15 seconds but it ran really smooth (idled at 1200)

over the next hour started and stopped it several times and it was impeccable.

Unfortunately did notice two small oil patches on the ground at either end of the block, I have assumed this is a leaky sump gasket, but I have my doubts.

Have read many threads about sealing sumps, so have let it drain, cleaned it within an inch of it's life and used good quality RTV sealant (this time), wont be filling with oil until tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on.

jackherer

How was the cam cap issue resolved?

• Like 1

mrfirepro

Kieran,

Bob was great, he took the head back with some spare caps. He machined/modified them to fit properly within tolerance.

As you know I'm know I'm no expert (I know you'll find that hard to believe.. :P ) but the new cam runs so much smoother than the one in my original head.

I appreciate you putting me in touch with Bob, really impressive and old school.

jackherer

Nice one, I'm glad it worked out well with Bob.

Tom Fenton

Its looking great Paul, can't be far off now surely, could it be ready for a trip to one of the last meetings of the year??

That spring a few posts above, it goes underneath the selector lever on the gearbox, the one held on with the roll pins. It pushes on the seal retaining washer. I wouldn't worry too much about it though if you can't do it in situ.

mrfirepro

Thanks Tom,

Does it matter if the spring's not fitted?

Sealed up the sump, and I still have a small oil leak at each end, as I've replaced all seal with OE I'm thinking the casing cap on the cam end and perhaps a leak from the last main bearing cap (flywheel end), I've had this engine in and out so many times now it only takes me 20 mins, hopefully will have it out fixed and back in on Saturday, once this gets done it's really only the interior.

Tom Fenton

Like I say, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep an eye on the area for gearbox oil getting out, but I don't think it will cause a problem.

timoth123

That's great Paul. Glad to see your getting there!! :)

Can't wait to see her in the flesh!

Kane

Paul,

Unfortunately after all my efforts on my sump sealing I've come to the conclusion that it is indeed the crank end caps both flywheel and cambelt that are leaking.

I hope that your issue is only the sump and not the areas mentioned but if it does turn out similar to me I'll keep you updated on my progress as I'm going to have a go at removing the two end caps and resealing in place.

Best of luck

mrfirepro

Kane,

Unfortunately not, sealed sump and still have the leaks. Just been talking with Tom and he suggests having a go without taking the engine out and if the auxiliary pulley is tight, drop the engine down to get a puller on it.

I can't believe it's anything else as all other oil ways have new OEM seals. If I get time I might have a look tomorrow night, if I find anything that may be of help to you I'll let you know.

Good Luck

mrfirepro

the engine is out and it's another school boy error :( , found the oil gallery end plug was only hand tight (cam end), I am hoping that I will find the same at the other end when I take the GB off.

edit: GB now off and the other plug was the same, both now been torqued in with sealer.

hopefully engine will be back in and running again tonight. :)

Edited by mrfirepro

mrfirepro

Engine in and running with no oil leaks :D .

Started to connect plumbing and cables, noticed that the speedo cable is very close to the exhaust manifold (either over or under). Am wondering if I have the right cable, does anyone have a photo of how it should look?

jackherer

It wont be the wrong cable, the LHD short one is VERY short!

It goes over the downpipe and it does run a bit too close which is why the grease dries out so fast and the needles always jump about.

welshpug

should be P-clipped just above the heater pipes.

farmer

P clips NLA as it be the same one as the fuel breather

farmer

Offers on the table for a FOC genuine one anyway.

Have about 50 anyway.

mrfirepro

Thanks for your replies,

Farmer - thanks for your offer, I'll have one if it's OK

Mei - Sorry to be perdantic, am looking around the heater pipes but can't see any fixings (holes, studs etc) could you give me a bit more detail as to where it is fixed.

thx

farmer

Yeah sure its the same one I supplied you a few months ago.

mrfirepro

The one in the rear wheel arch, for the vent line?

mrfirepro

6123 C5

Just measured mine and it looks like it's 6123 C4 at 890 long and not the 1100 long 6123 C5 variant.

thanks for the advice.

I assume the 890 one is for left hand drive, if anyone want it drop me a line.

Edited by mrfirepro

lightflow

I used a 1100 long on my Phase 2. Perfect. Even then it runs reasonably close to everything which gets hot. I wrapped mine in heat reflective tape (not sure that will really help, but whilst I was there...)

I don't do very many miles a year so it'll stay good for a while I hope.