• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mrfirepro

[Car_Restoration] My 1989 205 1.9 Gti Restoration Project

mrfirepro

Tom, there in the post to you as we speak, stuck the trims on with Tigerseal and a few nails in the end...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom Fenton

Spoken like a true professional like what I am!!

• Like 1

dobboy

Mrfirepro

The guy who painted mines assured me they will stand the test of time. I've done over 2000 miles now and there's no signs of flaking etc; so far so good. (all external plastics have been done, quarter badges etc, and mirrors were done in black)

The process mines got (after eventually picking the kit colour):

I spent a good bit of time degreasing (with fancy 3M wipes), and then cleaned a couple of times with Panel Wipe, then bagged them up, and took to painters.

Painter masked off and buffed out any little nicks, (and possibly filled any little indents with two-part plastic filler)

Everything then got a coat of plasti primer

Everything then got a haze of texturiser, (which iirc the paint supplier got in to match pug bumpers, maybe even to match 205 bumpers)

The painter then got the colour i had chosen mixed at the paint suppliers with a matting agent to reduce the sheen of the paint.

iirc, the final colour and matting agent when mixed has to be used right away/within a couple of hours or the matting agent goes off and kills the paint.

If you look at this sales brouchure, although the photos are probably filtered, you can see how far away the pug cans of paint are.

http://www.forum-peugeot.com/Documentations/Serie200/FP_Docs205GTI130_ph1_87.pdf

My final colour is very near the colour of the internal back window trim, which to me makes sense that pug would have tried to match the colour of all plastic.

It's difficult to photograph to show the colour/texture due to flash etc, but i'll see what i have on my phone and post for you.

Not saying the colour i chose is 100% right either! (but i think it is)

dobboy

Here's a few pics (hopefully the links work), the flash should highlight the texture a bit.

The colour is actually quite near our general waste wheelie bin colour

http://tinypic.com/m/ih1w7l/2

http://tinypic.com/m/ih1w7q/2

http://tinypic.com/m/ih1w8g/2

http://tinypic.com/m/ih1w8l/2

http://tinypic.com/m/ih1w93/2

mrfirepro

I've been a little worried about the new engine and oil pressure as the needle on the oil pressure gauge only goes up about 1.5 segments. So decided to take the front end off and use a calibrated (Snap on) pressure gauge. I am getting around 35-38 psi whilst turning over on the starter motor. On one of my previous engine builds I was getting 50 psi, is 35-38 too low???

Also when removing the oil breather pipe from the rocker cover I noticed a bit of mayo, when I looked down the pipe it was all over the place, I've been running the car on idle everyday until the fan kicks in as it's not yet mobile. Is this Mayo a sign of some problem with the engine, which seems to run fine (idles high, right now)

or am I worrying about nothing......

Edited by mrfirepro

Tom Fenton

Worrying about nothing, get the bugger driving on the road!

To be honest, letting it idle is bad news for the piston rings bedding into the bores. It now needs to be driven under variable engine speed and load to bed the rings into the bores. Let it idle too much and you will glaze the bores which will mean it will smoke and use oil for ever more.

jackherer

A small difference in battery charge will make a big difference to the oil pressure it makes on the starter so that's nothing to worry about.

The mayo is probably due to condensation forming, it tends to happen to some degree with all 205 GTIs but especially those that are only used for short journeys so it's not a surprise if you are just idling yours.

dobboy
mrfirepro

as I just downloaded more photos I thought I'd update the thread with the small amount of progress.

Finally the cars waterproof(fingers crossed), managed to get hold of genuine rear glass and trim and had it fitted yesterday, I was contemplating doing this myself. Looking at how it was done I'm glad I got the professional in.

so can get some water on it over the weekend and make sure there's no leaks.

OE seal/trim

P1050366_666x500.jpg

rear screen now in

P1050369_666x500.jpg

ever since the engine has been in a running I've been bothered by the high idle (1300-1500) and had put this down to just needing to set it up, but after talking with miles (thanks) he suggested that I need to make sure the AFM was in good order before starting any tuning. I investigated ATP and was told they no longer do the 0 280 202 109 but could still fix certain faults, but they would need to see the AFM first and may not be able to do anything in the end.

I then started to think about a new one..........well that didn't last long, soon put off by finding out the best price new was £447 and when available from Peugeot they were over £500.

Just on the off chance I asked farmer, who I knew had a new one, if he could source another unit.....well blow me down 2 days later brand new unit £115....WOW bargain of the century...so i decided to think about it for a few days :o ......not really I would have driven to Scotland to pick it up at that price...

new unit

P1050360_666x500.jpg

the good news is that the engine now idles at 1000-1100 quite happily and when tuned I hope it will be even lower and smoother. (also set up the TPS as per this thread-http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles.html/_/articles-guides/engine-related/205-gti-injection-basics-r34)

fitted new LH & RH engine guards

P1050305_666x500.jpg

P1050312_666x500.jpg

P1050321_666x500.jpg

The OS one seems to foul on the towing eye bracket, anyone know how this gets fixed in that area?

Didn't get anywhere with finding out the OE position of the fan resistor so fitted it in as much space as possible here

P1050317_666x500.jpg

Been having a mare with the rear quarter trim, but got the fronts on no problem, this is how I fixed them.

P1050334_666x500.jpg

P1050333_666x500.jpg

P1050331_375x500.jpg

P1050339_666x500.jpg

Got new air pullers as the old ones were shot

P1050322_666x500.jpg

and that's about it todate, hopefully will get the ill fitting rear quarter trims sorted within the next few days and prove there's no leaks. Then I can start the inside and the rear loom, which will see the car finally finished.

EDIT : sorry forgot to thank Farmer for sourcing the AFM at a fantastic price.....really appreciated

Edited by mrfirepro

Plumbob

Looking good! Really nice. Liking those new engine guards!

farmer

Paul

Should thank Dale on here for pointing out a poorly listed item on eBay in regards to AFM

ATK

Paul, your build looks amazing. How far off do you think you are finishing? Can't wait to see the final pics.

A new AFM was a godsend to me - sorted my idle troubles out a treat, well worth it considering it's a damn important piece of the puzzle - £115 is an amazing deal too!

About the rear screen - I recently picked up a NOS seal the same as you, how are these fitted etc? I couldnt figure out how the seal works or where it sits. Looking to get my rear screen re-sealed and bonded just to make sure no leaks so would be interested to know how its done mate!

welshpug

fan resistor clips to the top of the rad, dissipates heat into the rad.

rear screen has no seal, its a trim piece on a bonded glass.

Edited by welshpug

dobboy

fan resistor clips to the top of the rad, dissipates heat into the rad.

rear screen has no seal, its a trim piece on a bonded glass.

Remember the bracket i had WP?, one of the earlier photos looks as though this car may have had it (as the metal around the fixing looks as though it's been disturbed, where the captive nut would have been)

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=158325&hl=

Still not convinced about that bumper colour assuming the front is the same as the edge/back that can be seen, one of the pics above showing the inside of presumably a new arch and end of bumper shows the colour difference.

I bet a pug dealer would hire this from you to sit next to a 208 30th in their showroom.

You'll need to get the wife to hoover the roads your gonna be going on!

mrfirepro

Paul, your build looks amazing. How far off do you think you are finishing? Can't wait to see the final pics.

A new AFM was a godsend to me - sorted my idle troubles out a treat, well worth it considering it's a damn important piece of the puzzle - £115 is an amazing deal too!

About the rear screen - I recently picked up a NOS seal the same as you, how are these fitted etc? I couldnt figure out how the seal works or where it sits. Looking to get my rear screen re-sealed and bonded just to make sure no leaks so would be interested to know how its done mate!

Alex,

WP is correct I shouldn't have called it a seal as it's only a trim.

I didn't do this, but this is what the fitter did....

1. Made sure the trim was the correct way round by offering it up the the tailgate aperture, the correct way round was obvious.

2. Fitted the trim to thoroughly cleaned glass by finding the joint in the trim, making sure it was in the lower middle of the glass and then fitting the trim around the glass. My first thought were there is no way it's going to stretch that far, but with three of us working it we eventually got it on the glass.

3. We then taped the trim to the edge of the glass to stop it coming off during fitting

4. With suction cups fitted, trial fit the glass, mine was really tight and the trim at the top kept coming off. We finally agreed that the best way was to insert the top, push the glass up and push the bottom in place. Look out for how smooth the trim lies on the boot lid and make sure there are no gaps.

5. remove glass.

6. Preparation for final fitting, as a precaution we ran some masking tape on the inside edge to make tidying up after fitting easy (as it happened this was not needed). We then treated thoroughly cleaned the recess and spread an activator as well and left this to dry for 5 minutes.

7. The sealant was then piped around the recess in a triangle shaped bead, followed by a bit of manual shaping to make sure the bead was absolutely continuous (mainly corners)

8. Fit rear screen as per the trial fit as per 4. There was sufficient time for the glass to be maneuvered around making sure that the glass was level with the tailgate all the way around and that the trim was flat and unruffled.

I did consider doing this myself but am really glad I left it to the professional and didn't think £30 was too bad as they were here over an hour

Edited by mrfirepro

welshpug

wrong clip for the fan resistor.

Anthony

fitted new LH & RH engine guards

P1050321_666x500.jpg

Interesting - I've never seen a 205 with a nearside splashguard fitted before.

Were these a standard fit part that's been lost on every car I've seen? Certainly I don't recall seeing any evidence that one had ever been present, but then, you don't tend to see any 306's etc with undertrays either these days so that perhaps doesn't mean much.

S@m

I was thinking the same Anthony, i've seen plenty on the offside but never one by the end of the gearbox on a 205.

welshpug

probably explains why it doesn't fit with the gti towing eye.

I wouldn't count on it lasting long given the proximity of the tyre to the end cover of the gearbox on full lock.

ATK

Thanks Paul, so the trim that you had is the bit that shows around the outside of the glass I assume?

Did you use Autoglass or just a general glass company? I'd like to get it done but am a bit nervous about having some Autoglass goon do it as they messed up my windscreen the first time and made it leak!

mrfirepro

Thanks Paul, so the trim that you had is the bit that shows around the outside of the glass I assume?

Did you use Autoglass or just a general glass company? I'd like to get it done but am a bit nervous about having some Autoglass goon do it as they messed up my windscreen the first time and made it leak!

I'd call a few local body shops (this is how I got hold of this guy) as they all have to deal with glass and this guy had definite passion for what he was doing. I'm not sure I'd let Autoglass loose on my car.

• Like 1

mrfirepro

probably explains why it doesn't fit with the gti towing eye.

I wouldn't count on it lasting long given the proximity of the tyre to the end cover of the gearbox on full lock.

WP I think your right, with the fixing out of place the cover is only a few mm from the gear box end casing, I'm going to mod the cover to see if I can get it to lie correctly around the towing eye fixings. Will put some pics up when done.

mrfirepro

First time out of the garage

All the updated photos are here http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/mrfirepro/slideshow/205%20projects/9%20nov%2014

here are a selection, I know the rear quarter time doesn't fit properly, that's the next job on the list

P1050406_666x500.jpg

P1050408_666x500.jpg

with guard dog :D

P1050411_666x500.jpg

P1050412_666x500.jpg

P1050413_666x500.jpg

P1050420_666x500.jpg

P1050431_666x500.jpg

Also fitted the internal Sunroof parts

P1050402_666x500.jpg

Am also very please to say that it all seems quite waterproof.

• Like 2

farmer

A quick Bonio to your K-9 friend and I would be in that 205 very easy.

ATK

Lovely mate! looks great. Cant wait to see the finished article. is that another 205 I spy next to the garage?!